Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 7 updates in 3 topics

jurb6006@gmail.com: Jan 24 11:33AM -0800

>"You have a 15 year old kid about to enter college in an electrical engineering >program. What's he (or she) thinking in a sniveling bratty manner? "
 
Actually I thinkj those who go for that have a better, or at least more practical (in a perfect world) mind than those who decide to go for liberal arts. My ilk and I call liberal arts - "basket weaving". Unfortunately that partly applies to musicians. Most of them have regular jobs. One of the best musicians I know is a tileman by day. This guy composed and arrainged a song, and then by overdubbing recorded the whole thing I know. Played the drums, then the bass, then guitar, then lead guitar then keyboards and then sang it.
 
He is still a tileman. the way he is meticulous about shit I would estimate that he is pretty good at it and probably makes decent money. He has played alot of gigs, like at bars and other bvenues, there are a couple of CDs. However, it is like a jump in that business. You are a starving artist until you are not. That is how it is until you curry the favor of a music mogul and he decides that you will be promoted and all that. Of course now if it sells fast enought to make your money before it hits P2P and youtube, you might do alright.
 
I have my opinion on the industry and it is not really what one would call favorable. The old days is how it should be. Local bands send in a tape to the local radio station. They answer the damn phohe and people give their opinion sometimes. Sometimes the DJ just likes it and there weren't twenty fucking lawyers there to sue for royalties right away. They new the value of and appreciated the exposure, which amounts to free advertising if it is any good.
 
That's pretty much how buddy Holly got started from what I hear. They thought the group was Black. Holly had sent a demo tape to a record company I think, and THEY sent it to a radio station. By the time they got ahold of Holly they owed him $70,000. If the stories are true, he also got a gig at the Apollo which is all Black. He got a telegram said "be here, pay is $___" and then when he got there the owner thought a White band would cause a riot. Holly said "OK just give me the money and I'll go home", which didn't set well. The guy let them go on the stage, and instead of a riot, the peopolel were dancing in the aisles. Well maybe a riot but a good one. No looting even, but this was the 1950s.
 
I think the whole industry is fucked up now. I have no idea how one gets "discovered" these days. And the quality ? Let's just say that P2P is not the only reason the industry is not making what it once did.
 
By the time my generation dies off, nobody will probably buy music and it will become a hobby. Seriously, there is no way to enforce copyrights. I got Adobe Audition and it will record through hardware in formats that make a CD look like an eight track tape. It cannot be stopped from recording. This is the ultimate thing the RIAA as afraid of. They were afraid of CD recorders to the point where they made the manufacturers require only music CD blanks would work, and got royalties in advance on the blank media itsaelf. they were not afraid of cassettes. Sure, you could record some off an albul to a cassette to listen to it in your car. but the quality wasn't there.
 
gotta run, this thing doesn't seem to have a save and send later function so I will pontificate more later. the music iundustry is an interesting subject, moreso than a Casio keyboard so, the hijack is fine.
mogulah@hotmail.com: Jan 24 12:20PM -0800

> than those who decide to go for liberal > arts. My ilk and I call liberal arts - > "basket weaving". Unfortunately that
> partly applies to musicians. Most of
> them 
 
Yeah, I imagine that's been the question almost forever. How does someone get famous throwing concert after concert?
 
Do a bunch of statisticians get together at audition after audition and poll audiences on which person for which part is best and the money people come in and finance the show based on the poll results?
 
I wouldn't be surprised.
mogulah@hotmail.com: Jan 24 12:20PM -0800

> than those who decide to go for liberal > arts. My ilk and I call liberal arts - > "basket weaving". Unfortunately that
> partly applies to musicians. Most of
> them 
 
Yeah, I imagine that's been the question almost forever. How does someone get famous throwing concert after concert?
 
Do a bunch of statisticians get together at audition after audition and poll audiences on which person for which part is best and the money people come in and finance the show based on the poll results?
 
I wouldn't be surprised.
Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com>: Jan 24 03:45PM -0800


> OH BY THE WAY ! That Watkins I kinda fixed, it says "Watkins Gould". It says "Made for Gould guitars..." and some shit. I knew it didn't say what you said it is supposed to say but now I remember what. Gould. Apparently in England there is/was a Gould guitar company and they had some of these made in their name.
 
 
** That would be " WATKINS GUILD" .
 
Guild are an American guitar maker who also badged the Binson Ecorec as Guild.
 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_Guitar_Company
 
 
.... Phil
jurb6006@gmail.com: Jan 25 05:07AM -0800

OK, I didn't have it in front of me. Giuld, Gould, so it is Guild. Of England actually. really, England is a misnomers because it has not existed fro hundreds of years. Sposed to call it "Britan". Prissy little bitch.
 
Anyway, my ex-brother-in-law left and old Bell and Howell over here and it is a half track. I am pretty sure I am going to take the head out of that and put it in the Watkins. i will tell tyhem that I went through hell and high water to get this motherfuckers, thought really I was about to throw it out. But he owes us money so, maybe just figure it for some of that. not much though, if I lived in certain places it would cost me more to get rid of the carcass than I could even make on the tape head.
 
Another thing is the impedance, I hope it is close enough. Surely there is an optimum range and they bothj are in it. the only difference is the replacement will be a record/play when the original was only a play. Usually the difference is that the record/play has a slightly wider gap, which helps the record signal penetrate the tape better, whereas the optimum play gap is smaller to catch the higher frequencies.
 
But this thing should at least work. Plus the fact that in what the fuck, 1 this was built, did they care ?
 
Actually they never really cared, what the fuck am I talking about ?
 
Yup, Monday in comes the Bell and Howell. If the head works, then it does. If it does not work then I am back to tryingto find those hen's teeth again.
JC <Chipbee40_SpamNo@yahoo.com>: Jan 24 04:43PM -0500

On 1/23/2015 8:28 AM, Andy wrote:
> are?
 
> Thanks in advance
 
> Andy
 
http://www.vishay.com/diodes/rectifiers/melf/
 
1N6481 maybe?
"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell@earthlink.net>: Jan 24 11:45AM -0500


> I've never heard of 3-in-1. Is it auto mechanics stuff or like liquid wrench? I might go and try a bottle. I keep losing the small pocket sized WD-40 mini-spray can. I'm not really focused on that right now, though.
 
 
It's sold for use in sewing machines. My mother used it for decades,
about a can a year on her commercial sewing machine.
 
 
--
Anyone wanting to run for any political office in the US should have to
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 7 updates in 3 topics"

Post a Comment