Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 10 updates in 4 topics

Ralph Mowery <rmowery28146@earthlink.net>: Mar 03 10:06AM -0500

In article <2u0ibc52ot4skkdnoudsvf372tivkcb8sc@4ax.com>,
jeffl@cruzio.com says...
> this is good enough for a quick test. It also does LCR. There are
> many variations. Google for "M328":
> <https://www.google.com/search?q=m328&tbm=isch>
 
There are many versions of that device and similar ones. I have one
that was already built for about the same price I bouth several years
ago. Too bad they did not have things like that around 20 or 30 years
ago when I was working on equipment all the time.
Retired now and just do electronics for a hobby, but it is nice to be
able to get some of the equipment to play with. Especially in the $ 10
to $ 50 range.
Bob Engelhardt <BobEngelhardt@comcast.net>: Mar 03 01:22AM -0500

On 3/2/2017 10:51 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
> ** A Kill-A-Watt reads "watts", power factor and "VA".
 
> What does yours give for PF & VA ?
 
It's consistent: VA = 310+-, PF=.69, W=210+-. So, it knows that there's
difference & it knows how to divide, but it still might not know how to
do true RMS power.
Bob Engelhardt <BobEngelhardt@comcast.net>: Mar 03 01:46AM -0500

On 3/3/2017 12:48 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> The input power consumption varied from 30 watts to 70 watts depending
> on what the machine was doing. Eyeball average was about 50 watts.
> ...
 
It's highly improbable that your machine is weaker than mine, so your
50W in versus my 200W means that mine is way too high. Unless my
Kill-a-watt is wonky.
 
 
>> My intuition is that 2 75W light bulbs in a box could be cooled by a PSU
>> fan. Without flames.
 
> I don't use light bulbs as loads (except for UPS testing). ...
 
I just used the light bulbs as a common example of power. I have an
intuitive feel for the power of a light bulb & if it could be kept in
limit with a fan. Not so much a ceramic power resistor.
 
> PS has PF correction or is highly efficient. However, it shouldn't be
> as low as 13%. Something is wrong, but I can't tell where from here.
> ...
 
My 13% is my 54W draw versus the 400W rating of the PSU.
 
The PSU name plate ratings: 1200W in (10A), 400W out. I'm using 200W
in, 54W out (25% efficient). 54 / 400 = 13% rated load. But even at
12% rated load, the efficiency shouldn't be 25%.
 
BTW - I don't really care, I'm just curious.
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>: Mar 03 08:31AM -0800

On Fri, 03 Mar 2017 01:46:08 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
 
>It's highly improbable that your machine is weaker than mine, so your
>50W in versus my 200W means that mine is way too high. Unless my
>Kill-a-watt is wonky.
 
That's a possibility. I have several kill-a-watt meters. When I
upgraded to the latest greatest, I took them apart to determine the
difference.
<http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/slides/kill-a-watt.html>
Much the same except for the clock crystal, 5 instead of 4 buttons,
different uP, and some beefier components.
 
However, I was having problems with erratic readings with the old
model (top photo) which I traced to marginal soldering on the AC power
connector pins and current sense "resistance wire". I resoldered
everything that looked suspicious and the problems disappeared. You
might want to disassemble yours and check for similar soldering
problems.
 
Incidentally, the marginal soldering in the later unit (bottom photo)
is stock. I later went through it and resoldered all the rough
conections. That's when I found that the ground pin on the AC power
plug had a cold solder connection. That should have any effect on the
readings, but it does suggest that the soldering problem might be
common.
 
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell@earthlink.net>: Mar 03 10:38AM -0500

>> Dropbox is a cheap (free), fast and convenient way to send large files one-off anywhere without worrying about mailbox capacities. Full stop.
 
> Was. People on here used to use it. But now every link to the \public folder is no good. You cannot go back and edit all your posts and change the URLs. Seriously, I am about to just pay for some damn hosting but then when I think that then I go "Why ?". Drawings of some harebrain schem(atic)that I thunk up on a Friday night after several beverages of my choice ? Why ?
 
> The ASC files that Spice uses can be posted right here in text form. There are fora out there for other things, like photos. In fact I don't really even need that so much.
 
 
 
You can post public files to a private Google Drive, which is free,
All you have to do is mark the file as public.
 
 
--
Never piss off an Engineer!
 
They don't get mad.
 
They don't get even.
 
They go for over unity! ;-)
Ralph Mowery <rmowery28146@earthlink.net>: Mar 03 10:43AM -0500

In article <ppGdnc0PA9l3ECTFnZ2dnUU7-KednZ2d@earthlink.com>,
mike.terrell@earthlink.net says...
 
> > The ASC files that Spice uses can be posted right here in text form. There are fora out there for other things, like photos. In fact I don't really even need that so much.
 
> You can post public files to a private Google Drive, which is free,
> All you have to do is mark the file as public.
 
Thatis what I do using Google Drive as I use Google as my main search
engine.
analogdial <analogdial@mail.com>: Mar 03 02:16PM

micky wrote:
 
 
> I'm told the same thing, that China subsidizes the postage (or maybe
> justn't charge?) and I'm told that receiving countries are not allowed
> to charge postage, on mail or packages, I guess.
 
" In 1969, the UPU introduced a new system of payment where fees were
payable between countries according to the difference in the total
weight of mail between them. These fees were called terminal dues.
Ultimately, this new system was fairer when traffic was heavier in one
direction than the other. As a matter of example, in 2012, terminal
dues for transit from China to the USA was 0.635 SDR/kg, or about 1
USD/kg.[10]"
 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Postal_Union
analogdial <analogdial@mail.com>: Mar 03 02:24PM


> The shipping on this item was $1.50. I cant imagine how they can ship it
> for so little money, but they must be making money, or they would not
> sell / ship for so little.
 
Probably an export subsidy. The Chinese subsidize manufacturers, the US
subsidizes sport stadiums.
 
 
> While I'm interested in this, I have to ask what makes this any better
> than a common VOM?
 
There's several youtube videos on the Chinese component tester. Here's
the first one that popped up for me:
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XZ0PnglxW4
 
I have one. It's pretty cool.
"Dave M" <dgminala@mediacombb.net>: Mar 03 09:09AM -0600

I have been ordering stuff from China for a few years, anything from $1 to
~$120 or more, and have never had to pay any tariffs or taxes. And most of
the stuff from China comes with free shipping.
 
Cheers,
Dave M
 
analogdial wrote:
Stijn De Jong <stijndekonlng@nlnet.nl>: Mar 03 02:45PM

On Fri, 03 Mar 2017 12:16:58 +0200, Anssi Saari wrote:
 
> On a phone? Not really other than if I ever see EDGE then it means my
> connection is so slow it's effectively the same as no connection.
 
Thanks for saying that because most people must be like you and me where
the type of connection is nearly meaningless as long as it's connected.
 
When I see EDGE, I don't know what it means other than it's slow too.
 
> they completely overwhelm EDGE. Although I remember a few years ago
> streaming a podcast over EDGE was fine.
 
> Other than EDGE/better it doesn't much matter.
 
That's kind of how I felt, in that I didn't even *know* if it was HSPA or
HSPA+ or UMTS or whatever else pops up.
 
 
> Then again, my home internet connection is via a 4G router. It's usually
> pretty easy to tell if I'm not on 4G but thankfully that hasn't happened
> very often.
 
Thanks for taking the time to update the thread as I assumed nobody
understood the question (you clearly understood it).
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 10 updates in 4 topics"

Post a Comment