Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 7 updates in 3 topics

oldschool@tubes.com: Dec 31 08:48PM -0600

It's official. They are in a different time zone....
 
Happy New Year martians !!!
bruce2bowser@gmail.com: Dec 31 09:07PM -0800

> It's official. They are in a different time zone....
 
> Happy New Year martians !!!
 
+1
"pfjw@aol.com" <pfjw@aol.com>: Jan 01 06:05AM -0800

I am wondering how this works. In these politically correct times, instead of AD (Anno Domini - Year of Our Lord), we have CE (common era). Ignoring what becomes "Year 1" and why, the Martian Year is 687 (earth) days.
 
So, 2018/4 = number of leap-years. (504.5). Round to 505 for a number of reasons.
 
Now, ((2018 x 365) + 505)/687 = number of Martian years. Or: 1072, about mid-October. Nothing quite yet the "New Year". Note that this is using earth-standard days. Martian standard days are 1:40, or 1480 minutes.
 
Starting Over: ((2018 x 365 x 24 x 60) + (505 x 24 x 60))/1480 gives us the number of Martian days involved. Comes to a little later in October of 1043. Months are named arbitrarily by dividing the Martian year into 12 segments assigning the same Earth-month name to that part of the cycle.
 
In any case, the actual Martian New Year is a movable feast, and in 2017, was celebrated on May 5,in Mars, Pennsylvania (where else?). The next one will be +/- March 3 of 2019.
 
Now, I will leave it to others to calculate the same for the Chinese, Korean, Islamic, Jewish, Orthodox, Indian, Aztec, et. al. as they see fit. All God's Creatures have a place in the Choir - even Martians.
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHayfrUIJDM About 4 minutes in.
 
Happy New Year!
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com>: Dec 31 10:04AM -0800

Motorola Moto G5 Android 7 single-SIM phone with a cheap prepaid
T-Mobile SIM. When I added the $20 500-MB/month-free-data-for-life
hotspot, the hotspot took over the 'phone' function and, being wifi
only, can't perform it. It provides wifi just fine, but I can't make
voice calls using the T-Mobile 'phone'.
 
When I try to phone, I get a Freedompop blue screen and the following
message:
 
"Unable to recognize SIM
Make sure FreedomPop SIM card is inserted properly and in the primary
slot if dual-SIM. Please contact customer support if you continue to
have issues."
 
There are [OK] and [Manual Login] buttons. Neither one helps. No
difference with the hotspot being on or off.
 
I also have a phone with a Freedompop SIM, and I think that somehow
SOMETHING is getting them confused.
 
FP responded to my email in 5 days with instructions for updating the
PRL, which made no difference. When I replied to their email, 3 days
later they sent the same instructions. Awaiting the third response.
 
I can't find any setting in the G5 that I might change/delete to
eliminate recognition of the hotspot.
 
If FP doesn't help, I'll phone Motorola next week. Worst case: factory
reset, which is NOT what I want to do under any circumstances.
 
The little hotspot is perfect for what I want it for -- occasional use
when I'm away from home or any other wifi source, which is rarely. NOT
at the cost of the phone function, though. I can use the google
hangouts dialer with the hotspot, but I'm willing to bet that T-Mobile's
coverage is better than whatever the hotspot uses, and I use the phone
only for 'emergency' calls ("Don't leave, I'm on my way..") rather than
ordinary usage.
 
The 99-cent FP SIM in the OTHER phone has been really useful (Gas Buddy
usage alone is well worth the price of admission!) , so FP provides an
amazingly good free service -- their CUSTOMER service, OTOH, is abysmal.
 
--
Cheers, Bev
"So I'm at the wailing wall, standing there like a moron,
with my harpoon." -- Emo Philips
Fox's Mercantile <jdangus@att.net>: Dec 31 03:36PM -0600

On 12/31/17 12:04 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> Worst case:  factory reset, which is NOT what I want to do
> under any circumstances.
 
I had to reset my LG Android twice now.
Once when the camera stopped working, the second time when
Whatsapp dropped dead.
 
The second time around, I figured out the correct method of
backing up my contacts list so I didn't have to re-enter them
all by hand.
 
 
--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
WA6FWi
http:foxsmercantile.com
The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com>: Dec 31 03:01PM -0800

On 12/31/2017 01:36 PM, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
 
> The second time around, I figured out the correct method of
> backing up my contacts list so I didn't have to re-enter them
> all by hand.
 
Those and the apps are apparently backed up via google so it just takes
time, it's the settings and general personalization that cause trauma,
most especially the 'favorites' for the GPS apps -- Osmand and CoPilot
for instance.
 
--
Cheers, Bev
"Once you've provoked a few people into publicly swearing they are
going to hunt you down and kill you, the thrill wears off."
-Elric of Imrryr
Rana Adhikari <rana.adhikari@gmail.com>: Dec 31 02:40PM -0800

I have a number of the Stanford Research Systems SR560 voltage pre-amplifiers in my labs. I also see them in use in my scientific labs around the world.
 
A common issue with them is the front-end gets noisy, going from an input referred noise of ~5 nV/sqrt(Hz) to ~50. In this case, what we usually do is scour the internet for some obsolete NPD 5565 (dual JFET) to swap in and this fixes the problem.
 
It seems to me like the LSK389 is a better part: its supposed have a voltage noise 5x smaller. Does anyone have any experience with this or possibly something similar when doing SR560 repair?
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 7 updates in 3 topics"

Post a Comment