Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 6 updates in 4 topics

amdx <amdx@knology.net>: Apr 26 07:52AM -0500

On 4/24/2021 6:02 PM, micky wrote:
 
> https://www.amazon.com/0-5-Fail-Safe-Long-Range-Transmitter/dp/B003FO4UHW/ref=sr_1_12_sspa
> $120 Mine was cheaper, I guess because it had no RCA inputs, which I
> have no use for.
 
   I have the FM transmitter listed above. At one time it quit
transmitting.
 
I could not find any info on the unit at that time.
 
Here's the schematic as I drew it on my unit manufactured in 2011. May
or may not be correct or complete.
 
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/8sjv8u3xlsdsg3d/FM%20TRansmitter%20Schematic%20Updated%20schematic%20Latest.jpg?dl=0
Here's a picture of the PCB.
 
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/o1vuhbgjcyndo3b/FM%20Transmitter%20amp%20section..jpg?dl=0
F1 is the output transistor, it went defective on my unit.  I changed it
and that fixed it. Check the voltages, at the output MosFet
 
If they don't match what I have on my schematic, it would be suspect. I
used part # RDO1MUS1.
 
> https://www.mitsubishielectric.com/semiconductors/content/product/hf/sirfpowermosfet/siliconrfdiscrete/siliconrfdiscrete_lv4/rd01mus1.pdf
You will also notice when it's working properly, that the 100 ohm
resistor in the L/H power switching circuit runs hot, (I think in low
power mode).
 
It is just poor design it is a 0.5 watt resistor dissipating 0.59 watts.
 
But 10 years of often hours of daily use and it is still fine. So you
can ignore that.
 
                                   Hope that helps, Mikek
 
 
--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
amdx <amdx@knology.net>: Apr 26 07:57AM -0500

On 4/26/2021 7:52 AM, amdx wrote:
 
> But 10 years of often hours of daily use and it is still fine. So you
> can ignore that.
 
>                                    Hope that helps, Mikek
 
BTW, I bought one in 2011 and paid $114, I bought another in 2017 and
paid $69.
 
The first one I repaired and is still working, the second one is working
fine.
 
                                               Mikek
 
 
 
 
--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
"Peter W." <peterwieck33@gmail.com>: Apr 26 08:10AM -0700

First, I have a legacy Ramsey FM100B that I built from a kit almost 20 years ago. It has performed flawlessly throughout that time. Sadly, it is no longer made, although they do, occasionally, show up on eBay. Ramsey continues to support them.
 
Second, there is a LOT of Chinese Junque out there that is awfully cheap, and that is no better than it should be at the price. Those that I have come across have had nice extruded cases, and looked pretty simple. But have not performed anywhere as nicely as the Ramsey.
 
Third, I suspect that the unit you have that has failed has done so (in rank order) because of a connector failure (antenna, power or input), or because of a failed critical component - because, did I mention, they are cheap.
 
Fourth, you will notice that the Rangemaster is "FCC Certified". In the world of Part-15 FM transmitters, that does mean something.
 
You get what you pay for.
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
whit3rd <whit3rd@gmail.com>: Apr 25 10:47PM -0700

On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 8:15:17 PM UTC-7, Ed Vance wrote:
 
> I went through the Set Up procedure and had it scan the TV Channels
> but the set still didn't let me see the Stations that I had been
> able to watch before the Power failed that time.
 
Two odd possibilities, are that the station might have gone off-the-air during your scan,
or that the TV has a restricted tuning range because its varactor bias supply has
been misadjusted.
 
More likely, your antenna isn't picking up all the stations, and could use adjusting.
If you still have a converter box, some of those have signal strength indicators (and you
can see if the converter scans and finds the same stations, or a different subset.
If a converter picks up more stations than the TV on the same antenna... then the
TV might need an antenna booster amplifier.
Rheilly Phoull <rheilly@bigslong.com>: Apr 26 07:09AM +0800

On 25/04/2021 8:14 pm, Edward Hernandez wrote:
>> the 3 groups in series or connecting 3 cells in series first to
>> obtain 6 volts, 2amp per set and connecting the set in parallel?
 
> This question sounds suspiciously like a homework problem.
 
As do many :-(
Jason Bowers <jbbowersnospam@aol.com>: Apr 25 01:47PM -0400

The last time I did any serious HF radio adjustments I had a large and
heavy 100 Mhz oscilloscope as well as an HP 1 Ghz spectrum analyzer. Due
to finances and lack of interest, those items, along with several
others, were sold about twenty years ago.
 
Recently, my interest has been rekindled somewhat and I am thinking
about getting on 10 meters once the solar cycle begins to favor the
upper HF more consistently. The problem is that my 10 meter radios have
been in storage for about twenty years. Some were bought used and I have
no idea how clean/ dirty transmitter/ receiver stages are not to mention
transmitter output spectrum and modulation. I came across an HTX-100
recently, for example, where someone had removed the "do not adjust"
sticker on the bandpass filter. Not good. So, being on a limited budget,
I have been looking at these test equipment pieces:
 
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-TinySA-Spectrum-Frequency-Generator/dp/B08FB5XT7B?tag=worradfor-20
 
https://www.amazon.com/YEAPOOK-Handheld-Oscilloscope-Professional-Bandwidth/dp/B07XBL4BTL?tag=worradfor-20
 
I'm hoping that I would be able to check out and adjust spectrum output
using the SA for anything up to 30 Mhz as well as checking out radio
internals with the scope up to 30 Mhz (as well as viewing output SSB
waveforms). So, I would appreciate any feedback on the above units.
Thanks in advance.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 6 updates in 4 topics"

Post a Comment