Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 11 updates in 5 topics

Bob Engelhardt <BobEngelhardt@comcast.net>: May 01 08:53AM -0400

On 4/30/2021 2:35 AM, John Robertson wrote:
[snip]
> Heck even electrical outlets start to fail after 50 or so insertions -
> ever notice how a socket you use for the coffee pot feels looser and the
> plug seems warmer than it did when they were new?
 
In my limited experience (sample size of 1) that's not true. I have a
toaster that I only plug in when I use it. Which is 1-2 times a week,
for 20(?) years: 1000 or 2000 times & no noticeable looseness.
David Farber <farberbear.unspam@aol.com>: May 01 08:47AM -0700

On 5/1/2021 5:53 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
 
> In my limited experience (sample size of 1) that's not true.  I have a
> toaster that I only plug in when I use it.  Which is 1-2 times a week,
> for 20(?) years: 1000 or 2000 times & no noticeable looseness.
 
That anecdotal report agrees with my findings as well. :-)
 
Thanks for your reply.
 
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA
John Robertson <spam@flippers.com>: May 01 09:37AM -0700

On 2021/05/01 8:47 a.m., David Farber wrote:
 
> --
> David Farber
> Los Osos, CA
 
Yeah, I hear you. I can't find a PDF on life expectancy of NEMA 5-15
plugs/receptacles (North America), but my experience is perhaps 100 to
200 insertions one starts to notice the socket doesn't grab the plug as
well. Our kitchen has an outlet that we tend to plug the toaster (a few
times a week) in and after ten years it is noticeably less well held
than the outlet above it - which we now use.
 
If you leave a plug in an outlet there is no reason to assume it won't
last the rated 50+ years of a NEMA 5-15R, but my point was there is a
limit to the number of insertions beyond which any connector starts to fail.
 
John :-#)#
Stu jaxon <stankowalski02@gmail.com>: May 01 06:51AM -0700

On Friday, April 30, 2021 at 7:41:45 AM UTC-4, Peter W. wrote:
> Can you get to the switch? Something may have fouled the Ohms Setting.
 
> Peter Wieck
> Melrose Park, PA
 
yes, the switch/selector isn't stuck. the ohms display is , i might have accidently tested a high voltage in the ohms setting, i don't remember. just wanted to know if it's fixable. i google it, and found zilch...
Allodoxaphobia <trepidation@example.net>: May 01 01:48PM

It's not enough to watch out for electrical shock, dead vermin,
or radiation exposure; you need to be aware of chemical poisoning.
 
https://allthatsinteresting.com/engineer-accidentally-takes-lsd
 
Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | Marvin | W3DHJ.net | linux
38.238N 104.547W | @ jonz.net | Jonesy | FreeBSD
* Killfiling google & XXXXbanter.com: jonz.net/ng.htm
"Max D." <allstar5497@gmail.com>: Apr 30 01:36PM -0700

On Saturday, April 17, 2021 at 12:37:19 AM UTC-4, Rich wrote:
 
> I.e., the ebay seller could simply be offering the same dubious part,
> with the "value added service" of applying a small bit of solder to the
> pins to make it look "used" before shipping it to you.
 
Hi folks,
I've received the transistors this morning, however, I am unsure if I will install them. I was supposed to receive a 1M30D-060 but received a suspicious 1MB30D-060. The datasheet from Fuji mention a 1MB30-060 and a 1MBH30D-060 but there's nothing about a 1MB30D-060 which makes me wonder if I've received bootlegs. (Fast forward 2 hours later) I have inspected inspected both transistor more closely and I'll be damned if these thing haven't been sanded down and re-lazer etched. You can clearly see the grain : /
Ralph Mowery <rmowery42@charter.net>: Apr 30 06:01PM -0400

In article <d036ff6e-82da-4a7c-89fe-8094e8ce15c1n@googlegroups.com>,
allstar5497@gmail.com says...
> > pins to make it look "used" before shipping it to you.
 
> Hi folks,
> I've received the transistors this morning, however, I am unsure if I will install them. I was supposed to receive a 1M30D-060 but received a suspicious 1MB30D-060. The datasheet from Fuji mention a 1MB30-060 and a 1MBH30D-060 but there's nothing about a 1MB30D-060 which makes me wonder if I've received bootlegs. (Fast forward 2
hours later) I have inspected inspected both transistor more closely and I'll be damned if these thing haven't been sanded down and re-lazer etched. You can clearly see the grain : /
 
Ordering most any simiconductor off ebay from another country is very
chancy. I know several in the local ham club that bought from over seas
and the simiconductors were faulty in one way or another. I bought some
20 watt RF transistors and they would only make about half the poewr
they should have. Reordered from a reliable source in the US and the
new ones worked like they were supose to.
"ohg...@gmail.com" <ohger1s@gmail.com>: Apr 30 03:56PM -0700

On Friday, April 30, 2021 at 4:36:59 PM UTC-4, Max D. wrote:
> > pins to make it look "used" before shipping it to you.
> Hi folks,
> I've received the transistors this morning, however, I am unsure if I will install them. I was supposed to receive a 1M30D-060 but received a suspicious 1MB30D-060. The datasheet from Fuji mention a 1MB30-060 and a 1MBH30D-060 but there's nothing about a 1MB30D-060 which makes me wonder if I've received bootlegs. (Fast forward 2 hours later) I have inspected inspected both transistor more closely and I'll be damned if these thing haven't been sanded down and re-lazer etched. You can clearly see the grain : /
 
I may have a suitable sub in my plasma TV parts supply (that I've packed away). If I have anything that will match up, they're yours.
 
Which case style do you have?
"Max D." <allstar5497@gmail.com>: Apr 30 08:56PM -0700

> > On Saturday, April 17, 2021 at 12:37:19 AM UTC-4, Rich wrote:
> > > ohg...@gmail.com <ohg...@gmail.com> wrote:
 
> Which case style do you have?
 
Thanks for the offer. The old 1M30D-060 is a To-3PF, I believe, with the low profile upper half.
amdx <amdx@knology.net>: Apr 30 01:01PM -0500

On 4/23/2021 12:42 AM, Rheilly Phoull wrote:
>> under a $100.. are the ones made in China reliable.??? what kind do
>> you use.???
 
> Does Fluke make any that sell below $100 ?
 
 
 I have the EEV Bryman BM235 and like it a lot. $139, but well worth it.
 
> https://www.amazon.com/EEVblog-BM235-Brymen-Multimeter/dp/B01JZ1ADCO
                                                       Mikek
 
 
--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
amdx <amdx@knology.net>: Apr 30 01:07PM -0500

On 4/23/2021 10:47 AM, Peter W. wrote:
> Don't get me started on Harbor Freight....
 
> Peter Wieck
> Melrose Park, PA
 
 Great for low priced tools you will rarely use.
 
Is that a start?
 
                                                 Mikek
 
 
--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 11 updates in 5 topics"

Post a Comment