Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 9 updates in 3 topics

Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com>: Jun 27 03:45PM -0700

legg wrote:
-------------------
 
> >https://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thetubestore/schematics/Fender/Fender-Blues-Junior-Schematic.pdf
 
> The mounting hardware for that jack is not counted on to make
> an electrical connection to signal ground.
 
** Irrelevant. So what if connects another way?
 
> This was something that you said you were worried about, when
> considering continuity of the box metalwork.
 
** Where ? I mentioned the speaker jack which is an all metal type.
 
> I think you'll find that PEM inserts have an electrical contact
> to the metalwork, even though installed after the metal is
> passivated.
 
** Yawnnnn - the holes are made post plating, which I mentioned.
 
Stop being such a PITA know all.

 
..... Phil
legg <legg@nospam.magma.ca>: Jun 28 09:50AM -0400

On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 15:45:17 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison
 
>** Yawnnnn - the holes are made post plating, which I mentioned.
 
> Stop being such a PITA know all.
 
>..... Phil
 
Holes are usually formed at CNC, before metal bending.
Then passivation, then insertion.
 
To insert before passivation, you'd need either stainless
or compatible metal chemistry, unless you permit visible
discoloration. Messy.
 
Which is the more likely Phil com?
 
'you know, on second thought, there's nothing to worry about, sorry
for wasting your time with this.'
 
or
 
'I really don't want an answer to this question, so
piss off.'
 
RL
abrsvc <dansabrservices@yahoo.com>: Jun 28 04:11AM -0700

On Sunday, June 27, 2021 at 1:22:26 AM UTC-4, Sergey Kubushyn wrote:
> * KSI@home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *
> * Las Vegas NV, USA < > Miracles require 24-hour notice. *
> ******************************************************************
 
I have 8 of these in stock if you need 1 or more...
I am in the US and can mail these out.
 
Dan
 
dansabrservices@yahoo.com
abrsvc <dansabrservices@yahoo.com>: Jun 28 04:14AM -0700

On Monday, June 28, 2021 at 7:11:06 AM UTC-4, abrsvc wrote:
> I am in the US and can mail these out.
 
> Dan
 
> dansabr...@yahoo.com
 
Clarification: I have the ECG 519 parts in stock. --Dan
Ralph Mowery <rmowery42@charter.net>: Jun 27 03:31PM -0400

In article <5fb6ecb9-3eff-4fee-a31a-76c52da3a5dfn@googlegroups.com>,
bruce2bowser@gmail.com says...
 
> Keep in mind that here are three major alternatives to Windows: Mac OS, Linux, and Chrome.
 
Those are of no help if the programs I want to run have no equivelent
and are only written to run under Windows.
Michael Trew <mt999999@ymail.com>: Jun 27 03:53PM -0400

On 6/27/2021 12:01 PM, bruce bowser wrote:
>> run it, but most computers have those minimums anyway.
 
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57598554
 
> Keep in mind that here are three major alternatives to Windows: Mac OS, Linux, and Chrome.
 
I've heard that TPM will be required for Windows 11, which will brick a
lot of hardware...
 
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/what-is-tpm/
 
Me personally, I'll hold onto my perfect working Windows 7 system that I
built in 2015, and I think I'll try Linux when it becomes less than
functional. I don't have a qualm with Macs, other than I'm not a fan
personally. I wouldn't trust Google/Chrome as far as I could throw it.
Rob <nomail@example.com>: Jun 27 08:08PM


>> Keep in mind that here are three major alternatives to Windows: Mac OS, Linux, and Chrome.
 
> Those are of no help if the programs I want to run have no equivelent
> and are only written to run under Windows.
 
By 2025 there probably will not be many of those left...
 
In business use Windows has become nearly redundant already, as more
and more applications are being moved to the cloud and are being
accessed via an internet browser.
 
Maybe for personal use and gaming there is still some place for Windows,
although many gaming programs already exist cross-platform.
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>: Jun 27 03:04PM -0700

On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 15:53:10 -0400, Michael Trew <mt999999@ymail.com>
wrote:
 
>I've heard that TPM will be required for Windows 11, which will brick a
>lot of hardware...
 
TPM 2.0 is required. TPM 1.2 won't work. That means any machine
earlier than 2016 might not run Windoze 11.
 
I hadn't heard that it bricks hardware. Nothing in the article you
cited below. What's your source for that information?
 
>https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/what-is-tpm/
 
Some of the other Win 11 requirements are going to be a problem for me
and my customers:
<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-specifications>
None of my Windoze 10 machines support TPM 2.0.
 
Rumor has it that the Intel CPU needs to be 8th generation or higher.
I can't really tell from the published list of approved processors:
<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements>
So, I get to buy all new hardware for myself and most of my customers.
 
An internet connection and a Microsoft login/password is required for
Win 11 Home. No clue on Win 11 Pro, or other mutations. That
requirement alone is sufficient for me to stay with Windoze 10 or look
for an alternative.
 
>built in 2015, and I think I'll try Linux when it becomes less than
>functional. I don't have a qualm with Macs, other than I'm not a fan
>personally. I wouldn't trust Google/Chrome as far as I could throw it.
 
I've been slowly moving my home stuff over to Linux Mint Cinnamon.
However, in order to stay in business, I have to use whatever my
customers are using, which means Windoze 10 and possibly 11.
 
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272 http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Michael Trew <mt999999@ymail.com>: Jun 27 11:36PM -0400

On 6/27/2021 6:04 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> earlier than 2016 might not run Windoze 11.
 
> I hadn't heard that it bricks hardware. Nothing in the article you
> cited below. What's your source for that information?
 
"Bricked" was a poor choice of wording. What I should have said was
"hardware that isn't TPM 2.0 compatible will be useless with Windows 11
(useless = bricked)
 
 
> I've been slowly moving my home stuff over to Linux Mint Cinnamon.
> However, in order to stay in business, I have to use whatever my
> customers are using, which means Windoze 10 and possibly 11.
 
That's a fair point, when running a business, I could understand that.
Myself, I only use if for home/recreational purposes. With how little I
use my computer for, if I really wanted to, I could still use a Windows
XP machine (not that I would). The main issue being that several
websites now might not be compatible with the latest XP supported browser.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 9 updates in 3 topics"

Post a Comment