Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 5 updates in 3 topics

legg <legg@nospam.magma.ca>: Sep 27 09:09AM -0400

On Mon, 26 Sep 2022 06:03:06 +1000, Trevor Wilson
>even schematics.
 
>TIA
 
>Trevor Wilson
 
You can start by trying to locate the source w/r to different
gain settings in the signal chain.
 
So how can you make it worse, first. Then you can concentrate on
smaller sections of the circuitry, without the schematic.
 
You seem to be happy running without that specific channel -
complainibg about feed-through only - so just killing
the section may be enough of a fix to satisfy your customer,
if you can't cure the actual local fault.
 
RL
"ohg...@gmail.com" <ohger1s@gmail.com>: Sep 27 06:52AM -0700

On Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 4:03:07 PM UTC-4, Trevor Wilson wrote:
 
> --
> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
> www.avast.com
 
 
Will they supply parts? Even buying the complete guts can't cost as much as their charge plus freight. I think I know the answer to that.
 
In Connecticut U.S., we had a law years ago that required any company that sold electronics in our state to supply schematics to a licensed repair facility and free of charge as well (I guess to cut off any attempt to sell schematics for $500 each). When I informed a company (can't recall which one) that they had to supply me a schematic by state law, they essentially told me to pound sand.
 
We definitely need "right to repair" laws with teeth in them.
Charlie+ <charlie@xxx.net>: Sep 27 07:54AM +0100

On Mon, 26 Sep 2022 12:43:51 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
>ones, but I thought that it was that copper dissolves in the solder.
>The tip about plating with silver solder was brilliant. I refined my
>tip like that. And I got a big blob which I filed to the shape I wanted.
 
snip
 
Also I forgot to mention, if you need much more rigidity than the copper
gives you - you can up the gauge a bit and use brass wire (silver solder
tip now more essential), check Watts to see you got it about right! C+
Bob Engelhardt <BobEngelhardt@comcast.net>: Sep 26 12:43PM -0400

Thanks for the replies!
 
I know a copper tip doesn't last as long as the iron(?) plated Weller
ones, but I thought that it was that copper dissolves in the solder.
The tip about plating with silver solder was brilliant. I refined my
tip like that. And I got a big blob which I filed to the shape I wanted.
 
I have a temperature controlled iron & just use the gun when I want a
lot of heat on a crude joint. E.g., unsoldering an AC cord.
 
Installing the tip through the sides of the gun's arms actually doubles
the area of contact between the tip & the nut.
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>: Sep 26 11:42AM -0700

On Mon, 26 Sep 2022 12:43:51 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
 
>Thanks for the replies!
 
>I know a copper tip doesn't last as long as the iron(?) plated Weller
>ones,
 
Yep. Iron plating on copper:
<https://www.dillonsupply.com/Product/weller-8125n>
"Weller® 8125N Soldering Tip With Hex Nut, For Use With 8200 Universal
Soldering Gun, Solid Copper, Iron Plated"
 
Some interesting details on how iron is plated onto copper:
<https://www.finishing.com/379/18.shtml>
 
>but I thought that it was that copper dissolves in the solder.
 
Correct.
 
>lot of heat on a crude joint. E.g., unsoldering an AC cord.
 
>Installing the tip through the sides of the gun's arms actually doubles
>the area of contact between the tip & the nut.
 
Measure the voltage drop? Fire up a soldering gun and measure the AC
voltage drop between the transformer secondary (threaded rods) and the
base of the tip. I would measure it for you except I don't own a
soldering gun or a thermal imaging camera. I also couldn't find any
info or photos online. I'm looking for a good excuse to buy an IR
camera, but this isn't it.
 
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272 http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 5 updates in 3 topics"

Post a Comment