Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 7 updates in 1 topic

Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com>: Feb 25 09:03AM -0800

On 2/24/2023 11:33 PM, Rob H wrote:
>> searched on youtube, and it was about 20 lines down.
 
>> This is why we don't toss out broken microwaves:
 
> Yea, like most people has a lathe, a welder machine and cutting discs.
 
Yep. Got 'em.
 
Also, a couple old microwave transformers.
SteveW <steve@walker-family.me.uk>: Feb 25 06:03PM

On 25/02/2023 08:40, alan_m wrote:
> company would be proud to own.
 
> It appears that in the USA anyone that does DIY has a fully equipped
> workshop in a workspace the size of a large barn.
 
I don't have a lot of space, but I do have a lathe, milling machine,
pillar drill, welders and a whole lot of other stuff as it happens.
 
The copper probes that he made for the spot welder, could have been made
with hand tools, they would just not be as neat and it would have taken
longer.
micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>: Feb 25 05:48PM -0500

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 25 Feb 2023 10:28:24 -0500, Retirednoguilt
>underside of the turntable. I once had one of those spontaneously crack
>apart and the replacement part (plus shipping) seemed disproportionately
>expensive for a small piece of molded plastic. Good to have a spare.
 
All our townhouses were alike when built, and when my neighbor remodeled
I even took the lid from the toilet tank, in case I ever break mine. I
don't know where I put it.
 
And I had a cardboard cylinder of toilet bowl cleaner in the cabinet
under the sink and the fumes damaged the hinges, so the door sits open
an inch all the time, so when someone else remodeled, I took spare
hinges.
 
When someone else got a new furnace, I took the whole oil pump, sprayer,
transformer, electrodes, and the electric control box. I've used the
transformer and the control box to replace ones that failed. (Later I
found out that they sell universal transformer replacements and probably
control boxes that will fit, but this way I have the part right there,
and free.)

And early on, when someone threw out the folding, stiff plastic shower
stall door, it was too long for me to have a nice place to put it, so I
asked my girlfriend to store it. She had a really big basement with
extra-high ceiling, so her prior husband could lift weights. We broke
up a year later and I'll bet she still has it, 30 years later, and
doesn't know what it is or where she got it.
 
Meanwhile, my door is still in good condition. I thought the solvents
would evaporate and the door would become brittle. Maybe it has but I'm
very careful.
micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>: Feb 25 10:36PM -0500

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 25 Feb 2023 07:33:39 +0000, Rob H
 
>Yea, like most people has a lathe, a welder machine and cutting discs.
 
He's using a drill press, and I have a cheap device that holds a hand
electric drill and turns it into a drill press. There are even cheaper
things that just hold the electric drill in place. I did think about
buying a cheap drill press, but cmoputers interfered and I don't spend
as much time doing active things anymore. Instead I sit a this desk
getttng fat.
 
Plus I have a double grinding wheel** and you could just hold the rod up
against the grindstone and carefully rotate it in your fingers. After
the end is tapered, cut it to the right length. And I have an angle
grinder that he used. And I think maybe you could even just use an
electric sander???
**My grinding wheel was very cheap. It is just a bracket with an
axlet that holds a grindstone or wire wheel at each each. I added a
left-over motor I got somewhere, that already had a pully, and I bought
belt and mouted it all to a board, which is clamed to my workbench.
 
The angle grinder has cutting and other discs.
 
I have a very cheap set of taps and dies, under $10, although probably
not one that big. Maybe one could use speed nuts if they make them that
big. Maybe one could just thick nails, if they woudln't overheat.
 
I don't think he used a welder. In fact he made one.
 
Plus it's an excuse to buy more tools and that's always good.
Adrian Caspersz <email@here.invalid>: Feb 26 06:13AM

On 25/02/2023 07:23, micky wrote:
> More good and bad about my new and old microwaves.
 
<snip>
 
He also
> uses it to burn decorations into wood.
 
Sadly some individuals have been killed attempting this.
 
--
Adrian C
Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>: Feb 26 08:30AM

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
 
> micky wrote:
 
>> He also uses it to burn decorations into wood.
 
> Sadly some individuals have been killed attempting this.
 
Yes, people have been killed using high voltage to make Lichtenberg
figures in wood with high voltage ... but what I saw was not that,
rather high current heating an element red hot to "brand" wood.
Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>: Feb 26 08:39AM

Andy Burns wrote:
 
> using high voltage to make Lichtenberg figures in wood with high voltage
^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^
 
I blame low caffeine levels
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 7 updates in 1 topic"

Post a Comment