Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 8 updates in 1 topic

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>: Sep 24 02:54PM -0400

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 23 Sep 2023 12:22:46 -0400, legg
 
>>>Make and model number.
 
>>https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BG67YH18/
 
For another subthread, I foudn the right cable and connected the
headphone jack of the radio in question to the AUX in of the other
radio. The sound stopped from the speakers but didnt' show up in the
other radio. I'm sure I tested if I could play my phone that way and it
worked for that.. Just checked again and it still does, the phone plays
through AUX, but the radio headphone jack does not. Unlike the
bluetooth thing which is inconsistent, this could be a clear problem
with the headphone jack. (I'll try to find some headphones just to make
sure. They're in a suitcase somewhere.)
 
[answer to your post below]
 
 
>Suggest you scroll through the various equalizer presets
>available, to see if a usable difference is noted.
 
Good idea.
 
>A factory default is offered.
 
Yes, it comes set that way, and I've tried "talk" and I've tried various
settings for custom. Since hearing people talk is the problem, I looked
up what frequency we talk at and it is for the most part 80 - 250 Hz.
That was the bass range that I had lessened. But when I turned it up it
made it worse.
 
>It's possible that there's harness error/damage off
>the production floor.
 
Harness error? What is that? Something that could be fixed?
 
>Return it if not satisfied.
 
I assumed I only had the month Amazon gives but your post and others
inspired me to check and it has a 1 year Warranty. And I saved the box
it was shipped in.
 
Still, I want to ask them if they have a solution, and before that, I
still haven't gotten around to directly comparing the same station on
both radios. Won't take that much time, just play C-span radio or WAMU
on the PC which has an FM transmitter to the FM radio on the shelf above
the radio in question. So I can go back and forth several times. Maybe
I'll even come up with better words to describe the problem.
 
I'll write them about it this week but if I have a year, I can take
another month.
 
 
And also, the bluetooth and ambient hearing amplifer by Malhear
Technology I bought just under 2 months ago broke 3 days ago too. It
has left and right microphones and the right stopped working. I've
always been genlte with it, there's no apparent damage, and tapping on
the little thing (that looks like in inline log) doesn't help. But
their warranty is also one year.
 
Still, I'd have been happier to return something to Amazon, which last
time credited me without looking at what I returned an hour after I
dropped it in a bin at Whole Foods, than Malhear that I've never heard
of. OTOH for the radio that is the theme of this thread, by Grace, they
seem like a big, reliable company that makes a variety of fancy
products, some of which wikip says without footnote got CES Innovations
Awards. Goes bacfk to 2007 and actually based in San Diego.
 
I hate doing returns, even when it's easy, but if I must, maybe I must.
 
Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com>: Sep 24 02:44PM -0700

On 9/24/2023 8:11 AM, micky wrote:
>> with one that actually works or refunding your money..
 
> I guess I'm afraid they'll send me another one that's no better than
> this.
 
If you keep interacting with them, and don't bother to say they sound
like crap so they can actually help you with the problem, then that
would probably be an appropriate response.
 
Paul Babiak <noway@uwish.com>: Sep 24 06:38PM -0400

On 09/22/2023 01:42 PM, micky wrote:
 
> Is there an audio ng that's not dormant that I can post too. alt.audio
> and alt.audio.pro had gone 3 years without posts.
 
rec.audio.tech and rec.audio.pro still exist, but the traffic is pretty low.
David LaRue <huey.dll@tampabay.rr.com>: Sep 25 12:58AM

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote in
 
> Do you have to have them "tuned" by the audiologist? Just once or
> every year or something?
 
> Do you sleep with them?
 
I've used hearig aids for years. The central bands where human speach is
are not coming through. Definitely visit an audiologist to verify what
needs to be fixed. They will have a variety of brands. I've used aids
that were covered by insurance. Very litte out of pocket. You will
initially visit the audiologist every few weeks as you report what works
for you and what does not. They can tune them to correct most problems.
I have four channels, but moslty prefer my 'music' setting as I prefer to
hear background noise. I don't sleep with mine but some people can. My
audiologist checks out my aids every 6 months or so for the full
warranty. It is well worth it if your hearing changes or you find
situations where you cannot hear right and need adjustments.
 
Good luck,
 
David
Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>: Sep 25 05:04AM

On a sunny day (Sun, 24 Sep 2023 14:54:41 -0400) it happened micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote in
 
>Yes, it comes set that way, and I've tried "talk" and I've tried various
>settings for custom. Since hearing people talk is the problem, I looked
>up what frequency we talk at and it is for the most part 80 - 250 Hz.
 
 
Speech is between about 300 to 3400 Hz (old telephone).
Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com>: Sep 24 10:52PM -0700

On 9/24/2023 11:54 AM, micky wrote:
> bluetooth thing which is inconsistent, this could be a clear problem
> with the headphone jack. (I'll try to find some headphones just to make
> sure. They're in a suitcase somewhere.)
 
Headphone jack outputs on a lot of audio equipment physically breaks the
internal connection to the internal speakers when you plug in
headphones. The aux output will not do that.
Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk>: Sep 25 10:38AM +0100

On 22/09/2023 18:42, micky wrote:
> talk it sounds muffled. Like literally they are talking through some
> sort of muffle. I don't have this problem with 5 other table radios.
 
> Is the problem that there is too much bass? If not that, what?
 
Possibly. Is there a reflex port on it somewhere?
Stuffing that with foam might improve things a bit. Somehow
extra/excessive bass seems to be a selling point for radios in that
sort of price range. It does nothing for intelligibility.
 
> It has equalizer settings so I changed from default and various kinds of
> music to "talk". I didnt' hear any change.
 
Depending on how badly their equalizer mangles the sound you might be on
a no win battle with this thing.
 
--
Martin Brown
Retirednoguilt <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com>: Sep 25 09:44AM -0400

On 9/24/2023 11:14 AM, micky wrote:
>>> they?
>> I don't know. Mine have never fallen out.
 
> That's great
 
On the web, I see that a little attachment, Resound calls a "sports
lock", can be attached which is supposed to keep the hearing aid in
place during physical activity. They appear to be only about $13 (US)
per pair. Can't vouch for their comfort, ease of use, or effectiveness.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 8 updates in 1 topic"

Post a Comment