Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 6 updates in 2 topics

amdx <amdx@knology.net>: Apr 27 03:51PM -0500

On 4/26/2021 5:07 PM, Peter W. wrote:
 
> I have built five (5) of the Ramsey FM100Bs over time. They are not easy kits, and build-quality matters.
 
> Peter Wieck
> Melrose Park, PA
 
 I just reviewed some info, that I wrote back in 2016, the Ramsey unit
I built was the FM25. Don't know about the FM100B.
 
Still looking for a page I wrote back when I fixed the CZH-05B hoping
for more info.
 
                                                   Mikek
 
 
--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>: Apr 28 05:05AM -0400

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 26 Apr 2021 07:52:12 -0500, amdx
>or may not be correct or complete.
 
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/8sjv8u3xlsdsg3d/FM%20TRansmitter%20Schematic%20Updated%20schematic%20Latest.jpg?dl=0
>Here's a picture of the PCB.
 
Thanks a lot for this information.
 
I'm saving the files you posted, and the links, for next time.
 
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/o1vuhbgjcyndo3b/FM%20Transmitter%20amp%20section..jpg?dl=0
>F1 is the output transistor, it went defective on my unit.  I changed it
>and that fixed it. Check the voltages, at the output MosFet
 
I might be able to do that.
 
Fortunately it wasn't needed this time. you probably saw that it just
needed to be reset. I don't know what happened to make it stop working
at 0.5W output.
 
I don't even know when it happened because when the radio didn't get the
signal, I would think, Well maybe the computer is not playing anything,
and it took at least a week before I went from one room to the other to
be sure. I don't remember any power failures, plus there had been short
power failures before that didn't interfere with the xmitter working
right.

 
 
>It is just poor design it is a 0.5 watt resistor dissipating 0.59 watts.
 
>But 10 years of often hours of daily use and it is still fine. So you
>can ignore that.
 
LOL. Good to hear. Maybe mine will last 10+ years also. It works for
a radio in every room and outside, and even in the car parked outside,
if it's something I don't want to miss. .
 
micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>: Apr 28 05:10AM -0400

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 27 Apr 2021 09:13:36 -0500, amdx
 
>I'm disappointed I haven't seen any response.
 
These things take time.
 
>Do you have any electronic repair experience?
 
Yes. I used to clean dirty tv tuners, when they were mechanical. I've
replaced a flyback transformer, diodes, and a bunch of other things I
forget.
 
>Do you know how to solder"
 
Since I was 9 years old, although all I had then was a wood-burning
iron.
 
>Do you have a voltmeter?
 
At least 6 of them.
 
"Peter W." <peterwieck33@gmail.com>: Apr 28 04:37AM -0700

The original Ramsey FM25 was a toy, and had a range of maybe 50 feet on a good day. Latter day versions became quite reliable. I am not familiar enough with them to know what improvements were made, other than that they were. Perhaps as an outcome of your conversation?
 
In any case, the 100B is an entirely different beast from the 25, or even the 30.
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Ed.Vance@f10.n1.z7915.fidonet.org (Ed Vance): Apr 27 11:49AM +1200

04-25-21 22:47 whit3rd wrote to Ed Vance about Re: Toshiba TV
Howdy! Whit3rd,
 
wh> @MSGID: <60868F49.7906.elerepar@capitolcityonline.net>
wh> On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 8:15:17 PM UTC-7, Ed Vance wrote:
 
> I went through the Set Up procedure and had it scan the TV Channels
> but the set still didn't let me see the Stations that I had been
> able to watch before the Power failed that time.
 
wh> Two odd possibilities, are that the station might have gone off-the-air
wh> during your scan, or that the TV has a restricted tuning range because
wh> its varactor bias supply has been misadjusted.
 
Thanks for the Reply.
 
The Toshiba TV is in the front room, I got it in the Fall of 2019 and
connected it to the outside TV Antenna and plugged it in.
I've never done any adjusting to it outside of using its Menu some.
 
I use a Antenna Rotor on the outside Antenna.
 
The RG6/U Coax is plugged in to a Radio Shack TV Amplifier which has
4 output jacks.
 
The Toshiba TV is connected to one of the outputs.
 
Another output goes to the old Digital TV Convertor box to a VCR/DVR
that doesn't have a TV tuner in it.
 
The other Two Jacks have Dummy Load Resistors plugged in them.
 
When I want to set the VCR to record a show, I will put the newer TV
on Channel 4 to do that and when I'm done I can change the TV to some
other channel if I wanted to watch some other show.
 
When the power had failed here the One or Two times before, I don't
remember having to do anything special to get any Stations back on to
the TV Set.
 
I have a old tubed MGA TV w/Digital Convertor in another room and can
see those two Sub-Channels on it ghat are missing on the Toshiba, I use
a Rabbit Ear and Bow-Tie antenna on that TV.
 
wh> More likely, your antenna isn't picking up all the stations, and could
wh> use adjusting. If you still have a converter box, some of those have
wh> signal strength indicators (and you can see if the converter scans and
wh> finds the same stations, or a different subset. If a converter picks up
wh> more stations than the TV on the same antenna... then the TV might need
wh> an antenna booster amplifier.
 
I have the Yagi pointed towards that Stations transmitter site.
 
The Toshiba TV's Menu has a setting for a Signal Meter but the Channel
I can't see doesn't come up even when I've tried to ADD it on the menu.
 
Lots of Head Scratching here, but I'm not Bald (yet). <G R I N>
 
73 (Best Regards) de Ed W9ODR dit dit
 
 
... A diamond is just coal that has been under a lot of pressure!
whit3rd <whit3rd@gmail.com>: Apr 27 02:36PM -0700

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 12:15:10 PM UTC-7, Ed Vance wrote:
 
> I have the Yagi pointed towards that Stations transmitter site.
 
> The Toshiba TV's Menu has a setting for a Signal Meter but the Channel
> I can't see doesn't come up even when I've tried to ADD it on the menu.
 
Well, if there's an amplifier already in the loop... could it be that there's too
much amplification, that an input stage is saturating (and losing gain)?
If you have an attenuator (or even just some splitters, with terminated extra
outputs) that can be patched in, that might be worth a trial. Between the antenna and input
amplifier, ideally.
 
If the missing channels are at extremes (high end?) of the frequency range,
it might still be the varactor bias supply (sometimes 30VDC) has shifted. That would affect tuning
range.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 6 updates in 2 topics"

Post a Comment