Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 4 updates in 1 topic

Bob Engelhardt <BobEngelhardt@comcast.net>: Nov 30 10:28AM -0500

On 11/28/2021 4:13 PM, Mike Coon wrote:
> Decades ago I recall a varnish that was specificaally formulated to
> become a flux when soldering. So I am sure it is possible, but whether
> that is what you have got is a different matter!
 
I probably do have it, given the ease with which I was able to get
solder to stick. What a great idea - I hope the company that invented
it made a lot of money from it.
Bob Engelhardt <BobEngelhardt@comcast.net>: Nov 30 10:35AM -0500

On 11/28/2021 7:28 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> wire strand and wrap the tinsel with the fine wire. To give it more
> strength, I would continue wrapping around any remaining insulation.
> After wrapping, apply solder.
 
I remember that stuff. I specifically remember trying to solder it and
failing. When I saw the tinsel in this ear bud cord I immediately
thought of that phone cord & anticipated a lot of grief. Your solution
sounds like even if it hadn't wetted the tinsel, it would have made a
mechanical connection. Whatever works.
 
From the photo, you might need to
> remove some of the solder you added.
 
Actually I had to re-do, so there might not be as much. But it's done,
so removing some is not in the cards. Why, though, should I have done it?
 
Thanks
Bob Engelhardt <BobEngelhardt@comcast.net>: Nov 30 10:38AM -0500

On 11/29/2021 5:34 AM, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
> solder that is already saturated with copper, such as "Savbit".
 
> It rarely causes a problem with normal work, but becomes significant in
> the repair of moving coil meters and similar fine work.
 
I didn't measure the strands, but 8 of them twisted together made a
0.01" diameter conductor. Pretty fine. Time will tell, but with any
luck I'll be dead before it's a problem.
 
Thanks
liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham): Nov 30 04:19PM


> I didn't measure the strands, but 8 of them twisted together made a
> 0.01" diameter conductor. Pretty fine. Time will tell, but with any
> luck I'll be dead before it's a problem.
 
I really hope I have misunderstood your reply: the copper dissolves
during soldering, not afterwards; so unless you are doing something
remarkably careless, you should still be alive at the end of it.
 
:-)
 
--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
(Remove the ".invalid"s and add ".co.uk" to reply)
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 4 updates in 1 topic"

Post a Comment