Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

"ohg...@gmail.com" <ohger1s@gmail.com>: Jan 27 07:50AM -0800

On Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at 10:36:36 AM UTC-5, Guy Patterson wrote:
 
> > Before restringing, get a Q-Tip/ISO and clean the drive pulley shaft and all secondary pulleys of lube or wayward graphite. If you excise all possible friction, you'll find it will tune with no dragging, jerking, or stopping even with less turns around the drive pulley than the diagram calls for (resist the temptation of adding more turns than it calls for - it only causes windup binding).
 
> > I've had people pooh-pooh this advice and end up giving me the radio to restring because they don't believe that tiny amount of friction will prevent the dial cord from grabbing.
 
 
> After reading this, a light bullb went off and I decided to pull out a troublesome Philco that has always slipped. ...... I also found the top rail of the dial binding when I pushed down on it just like you said. I used a small needle file and dressed the top edge and then sanded it smooth and rubbed in some graphite with a qtip so I wouldn't get any on the dial face and now the dial indicator pushes smooth even when I put pressure on it.....Thanks so much. I will do this with every radio I have from now on.<
 
You're certainly welcome - glad you got it fixed.
 
Yep, I've seen rough edges and even outright burrs where the dial indicator rides on the dial background. I suppose those dial backs are simple stampings, and they could have a sharp edge on them. Filing down the burr with a file and smoothing it with sandpaper was a great idea. It almost makes it a bearing surface if done properly.
 
I can't tell you how many times I've seen cranky dial indicators cause dial cord slippage because of friction between the dial and the dial background . They announce themselves when they kind of "arch up" or move in jerks when the tuning shaft is moved - they shouldn't. Once cleaned, deburred and lubed they just glide.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic"

Post a Comment