Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 5 updates in 2 topics

Jim Joyce <none@none.invalid>: Jul 25 08:54PM -0500

>cellphone or the app that is running? Would the app know if I had
>turned the radio off, or changed input so it was no longer detecting and
>playing the cellphone signal?
 
To me, 'hotspot' implies WiFi, but I have no experience with streaming over WiFi
so I'm going to talk about Bluetooth (BT).
 
I frequently stream SiriusXM via BT from the SXM app on my phone to the radio in
my pickup, the radio in my garage, or the music system in my home theater. When
I'm streaming via BT and I turn off the receiving device, the SXM app
automatically switches to Pause within about 1-3 seconds.
 
It's clearly a two-way protocol. I'm not sure how my experience relates to you
and your situation, if at all.
micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>: Jul 25 10:28PM -0400

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 25 Jul 2023 20:54:33 -0500, Jim Joyce
>>playing the cellphone signal?
 
>To me, 'hotspot' implies WiFi, but I have no experience with streaming over WiFi
>so I'm going to talk about Bluetooth (BT).
 
You're right, Hotspot means Wifi. And yes, I was talking about
Bluetooth. I'm glad you figured it out, and I'm glad I gave details
about the phone and the car. :-)
>my pickup, the radio in my garage, or the music system in my home theater. When
>I'm streaming via BT and I turn off the receiving device, the SXM app
>automatically switches to Pause within about 1-3 seconds.
 
Wow
 
I guess I should look at the app when I turn off the radio. Usually
I'm driving and try to distract myself as little as possible, but I
could do this while standing still too. Also usually the map is showing
on the phone, so if Tunein shows that it has paused, I wouldn't see it.
 
I guess I could have thought to look without posting here, but it did
not occur to me (Sometimes it's hard to believe I'm as smart as my
mother said I am.) I've been in the car from Thursday night to Monday
morning. About 600 miles. Plenty of time to have thought of this but I
didn't.
 
Tomorrow I will watch the phone app while I turn the radio off.
 
I also got a new map DVD in the mail today.
 
 
>It's clearly a two-way protocol.
 
Wow. Those people who make this stuff are so clever.
 
> I'm not sure how my experience relates to you
>and your situation, if at all.
 
It's directly applicable. Not necessarily binding, but I bet mine works
like youre does. The situation is the same. If that's what's
happening, it's pretty stupid of me to change to FM and then change back
again just to pick up where I left off with the same annoying commercial
I tried not to hear. LOL
 
 
 
Thanks, Bertrand. I waited to answer you until I got an answer I liked
better!
micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>: Jul 25 10:38PM -0400

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 25 Jul 2023 20:54:33 -0500, Jim Joyce
>automatically switches to Pause within about 1-3 seconds.
 
>It's clearly a two-way protocol. I'm not sure how my experience relates to you
>and your situation, if at all.
 
BTW, I started the car where there was** no cellular signal. I forget
if I had turned off the phone or the app. And Tunein played for a full
10 minutes just on previously buffered data. IIRC my phone has 64GB of
storage and maybe that made a difference.
 
 
**I went to Jamestown, Yorktown, and Norfolk and I think they all had
good coverage but north of there and south of Waldorf Maryland is very
rural and there were a lot of areas with no T-Mobile coverage and not
that much Verizon or anything else. The FM radio still worked,
however, and AM though no station I liked.
micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>: Jul 26 12:23PM -0400

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 25 Jul 2023 20:54:33 -0500, Jim Joyce
>automatically switches to Pause within about 1-3 seconds.
 
>It's clearly a two-way protocol. I'm not sure how my experience relates to you
>and your situation, if at all.
 
Well, by golly, you were exactly right. Sitting still I could watch the
app go to Pause in less than 2 seconds after I switched from CD Changer
(Bluetooth)** to AM. More than half the time it would switch back to
Play when I switched the radio back to CD Changer.
 
**This is a car and radio from 2005 and didn't come with Bluetooth.
GTA Carkit has add-ons for many older cars to connect the phone to the
radio, to play phone calls and webradio through the much better car
radio speakers. I think it was about $140 and well worth it. Also has
an AUX input. There might be another company that sells something
similar.
 
It works in my and I think most cases by plugging into the CD Changer
jack in the back of the radio. I didn't have and didn't want a CD
changer anyhow.
 
If the phone is on and has once been paired with the car, it connects
when the car is turned on. If the car is on, I think one has to do
something on the phone when you turn the phone on. I've noticed that
bluetooth is so clever that when I'm wearing bluetooth headphones and I
turn the car on, the car takes over the bluetooth without my doing
anything,
 
I could have known bluetooth was 2-way because, when I turn the car off,
or turn off whatever the phone is connected to, the sounds from the
phone either switch to the phone's speaker or stop altogether. Of
course changing from CD Changer to AM or FM is not the same as turning
the car off, and it's still paired and connected because when I press CD
changer again, it starts playing in under 2 seconds (in those cases
where it restarts on its own.)
 
So all those times I thought I was killing time until the ad was over, I
was just fooling myself! And though the same ad is played 5 or 6 times
an hour, at least it's not so omnipresent that every time I switch back,
another copy of the ad is playing.
Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net>: Jul 25 04:51PM -0400

On 2023-07-24 20:11, Michael Terrell wrote:
>> less common, such as a dual-gate FET. I used to use a lot of 3N201s in
>> that package.
 
> I used to replace a lot of 40763 dual gate Field Effect transistors in garage door openers. I was doing the for a friend with a garage door business as a sideline. A nice part, but they didn't like nearby lightning strikes.
 
Coincidentally, I just bought a reel of BF998s, which are the last
remaining dual-gate MOSFETs, now LTB, alas.
 
I don't use a whole lot of them, but the amount of design space I've
been losing lately due to EOL parts is pissing me off.
 
The worst was the BFT92, which was almost ten times faster than the next
fastest remaining PNP (5 GHz vs 600 MHz-ish).
 
Cheers
 
Phil Hobbs
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
 
http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 5 updates in 2 topics"

Post a Comment