Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 6 updates in 2 topics

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com>: Jul 26 06:45PM -0700

1. If you spill coffee into one while it's powered and it stops working
forever, is there any hope of repair?
 
2. What's the best new replacement?
 
 
--
Cheers, Bev
"What's truly sad is that your vote counts the same as mine."
-- S. Brown
dplatt@coop.radagast.org (Dave Platt): Jul 26 09:39PM -0700

>1. If you spill coffee into one while it's powered and it stops working
>forever, is there any hope of repair?
 
You can try opening it up and giving it a good cleaning (all of the
keys and switches, and the PC board), rinse and dry thoroughly, and
check to see if there's a fuse on the PCB which might have blown.
There were quite a few different M models with different PCBs and I
haven't been able to find schematics, so you'd have to inspect the one
you have.
 
If the large IC (the keyboard-control microprocessor) was damaged, you
might be able to repair the PCB if you can find a parts donor (same
M model) on ePay or elsewhere.
 
>2. What's the best new replacement?
 
If you like the buckling-spring design used in the M (as I do), check
with Unicomp. They're still making a couple of models of bucking-spring
keyboard (standard and mini), with both USB and PS/2 interfaces available.
I think they used to offer a repair service for Model M keyboards but
I'm not sure it's still available.
 
I'm typing this on a vintage-2001 Unicomp.
"Peter W." <peterwieck33@gmail.com>: Jul 27 04:06AM -0700

I have had some success with vintage keyboards simply putting them through the dishwasher - keys down, upper rack, 1/3 the normal detergent. But, be sure the unit does not have an exposed heating element or you might melt the keyboard. Newer keyboards do quite well as long as they are not self-powered (battery type).
 
Remember - the alternative is landfill, so heroic measures are justified.
Jim Joyce <none@none.invalid>: Jul 26 03:19PM -0500

>I'm driving and try to distract myself as little as possible, but I
>could do this while standing still too. Also usually the map is showing
>on the phone, so if Tunein shows that it has paused, I wouldn't see it.
 
<snip>
 
Be sure to let us know how it goes! I'm curious to see if your experience
matches mine.
Jim Joyce <none@none.invalid>: Jul 26 03:35PM -0500


>>It's clearly a two-way protocol. I'm not sure how my experience relates to you
>>and your situation, if at all.
 
>Well, by golly, you were exactly right.
 
Oops, guess I should read ahead. That's the feedback I was looking for.
 
 
>It works in my and I think most cases by plugging into the CD Changer
>jack in the back of the radio. I didn't have and didn't want a CD
>changer anyhow.
 
Yes, Toyota factory radios tend to have the CD changer port. I've never seen
anyone actually connect a changer there, but I've seen and helped install 15-20
adapters of varying kinds for people who wanted an aux port or a USB port or
even BT. It's a handy port. I hope other car manufacturers do similar.
 

>was just fooling myself! And though the same ad is played 5 or 6 times
>an hour, at least it's not so omnipresent that every time I switch back,
>another copy of the ad is playing.
 
How many times in life do we fool ourselves. :-)
Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid>: Jul 27 12:39AM +0100

On 25/07/2023 11:04, micky wrote:
> cellphone or the app that is running? Would the app know if I had
> turned the radio off, or changed input so it was no longer detecting and
> playing the cellphone signal?
 
A real radio doesn't connect to a hotspot. It receives radio signals.
So what are you talking about?
 
Hotspot usually refers to a Wi-Fi hotspot.
 
Perhaps the "real" radio is an internet radio?
 
If so it's up to the software or app running in the "real" radio what it
sends back.
 
ON the other hand perhaps you are referring to a bluetooth connection
from the phone to the "real" radio which is acting as a Bluetooth speaker?
 
In that case the app in the phone may stop or pause when the "real"
radio disconnects, or it may not.
 
 
> to improve its image, after the murder of Adnan Khashoggi and
> allegations of war crimes in Yemen, and they seem to be starting with
> Aramco.
 
Adnan Khashoggi is, as far as I know fine. Perhaps you mean his nephew
Jamal?
 
 
> beling played through the radio? Finally I've taken to turning down the
> volume so I don't hear it. The app certainly doesn't know ablut that,
> and it seems to work, or must it be my imagination?
 
 
What radio station are you listening to using Tunein Radio?
As far as I know Tunein don't add their own commercials, except maybe at
the beginning immediately after you choose and start playing a radio
station, though it's difficult to tell, some of the stations do that too.
 
--
Brian Gregory (in England).
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 6 updates in 2 topics"

Post a Comment