Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 4 updates in 1 topic

vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com: Aug 22 02:05PM

Please advise.
 
I'm looking for a heavy duty sole-practitioner multifunction printer, fax,
scanner, &c (was gonna jibe: toothbrush, vaccuum, dishwasher, and pet
shampooer). I'm guessing I need to spend more like $500. I had gotten the
cheapest HP inkjet recently and it was a disappointment. (I just moved and
junked about half of my equipement to save on moving.)
 
Not sure if I want cartridge-less inkjet or laser. For pure home, I'd prefer
ink jet. For office, I'd get laser toner but keep it in a place where I don't
mind dusty toner spills (heck, garage works). In same cases I still use MSDOS
and would like the printer to know what plain text ascii is. I had a 2005
Panasonic dot matrix that didn't.
 
I had an HP OJLX printer 1995-2015 which worked great. I refilled it by
syringe. But about a third of the time it didn't "equalise" right and leaked.
 
I also worked with some folks who had a big professional HP 5555
which I could do wheelies with from the computer. I loved it, but can't
afford it. It was leased & profesionally maintained monthly
To do stuff like that on my own, I use Fedex/Kinko.
 
But some friends had the cheapest HP laser printers at their home and they
could be real wimpy. For example when you did two sided card stock, the toner
on the back side didn't fuse well. I'd'a thought the hotter the better (ie,
it didn't cool'nuff because it was thicker) butit was disappointing.
 
I still have my HP41C calculator and am planning of refurbishing my hp2621a
terminal (screen has "cataract", ie, glue deteriorated). I loved HP products
most of my life, but, yes, firms change.
 
My first printer (1982-95) was also great, Oki 82a. It used regular old
fashioned typewriter ribbons. It was like an army tank. I so kick myself for
dumping it when I got the HPOJLX, I just ordered a used one on eBay. With
film ribbon, in the early 80s some folks thought I had a Wang. Yes,I'm that
old. Except we used Wang at work ca 1985, not at home.
 
I also still got my SCM daisy wheel "robot typewriter".
 
Dunno about interfaces. Had mixed experience using USB to parallel or serial.
 
Yeah, and when I need to scan big stuff, I really miss those big xerox copiers
with foot pedals that could email you the file. Usually at some big law firm
we sometimes hired. With most home scanners you need to do a dance every time
you turn the page.
 
--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}---
steve1001908@outlook.com: Aug 22 03:26PM +0100

On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 14:05:00 -0000 (UTC),
>shampooer). I'm guessing I need to spend more like $500. I had gotten the
>cheapest HP inkjet recently and it was a disappointment. (I just moved and
>junked about half of my equipement to save on moving.)
 
Canon do a range of printers that have always met my needs over the
years. Since retiring my printing needs are just at home and the
TS5151 does everything I need. It's multifunction but not heavy duty.
They do heavy duty printers but I don't need one at the moment.
The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com>: Aug 22 07:46AM -0700

> years. Since retiring my printing needs are just at home and the
> TS5151 does everything I need. It's multifunction but not heavy duty.
> They do heavy duty printers but I don't need one at the moment.
 
I've been really happy with my Brother printers, including the
HL-L2395DW print/scan/copy/fax/email I've had for 2 years now. New
toner cart is $20 or so.
 
The wireless connection is annoying, though. When we had a power
failure recently our router got a new IP address for the printer and we
went through a LOT of shit before discovering that that was the problem.
There's a USB connection for the windows machine (no wireless
capability), but the linux machines have to do things wirelessly. CUPS
is a real POS.
 
--
Cheers, Bev
"My parents just came back from a planet where the dominant lifeform
had no bilateral symmetry, and all I got was this stupid F-Shirt."
Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net>: Aug 22 03:43PM

> where I don't mind dusty toner spills (heck, garage works). In same
> cases I still use MSDOS and would like the printer to know what plain
> text ascii is. [...]
 
Brother "MFC" series laser printer sounds like it'll fit the bill --
printer/copier/fax with the ability to save PDF scans to network storage
or email directly. I've never had one of their cartridges "spill" on me,
and the cyclical nature of how I print means that inkjets dry / clog up
in between bouts of "printing a lot" (and $30 or whatever for a brand
new cartridge every 4 months when I need to print again ... ehhhh no).
 
Does pretty okay with most "printer-friendly" paper weights (most of my
printing is done on 90 pound paper), and I've run some cardstock
through, though that's a pretty rare occurrence. Wife and kids like it
for printing color as well (although "color" wasn't a prime requisite
for buying this one).
 
 
--
|_|O|_|
|_|_|O| Github: https://github.com/dpurgert
|O|O|O| PGP: DDAB 23FB 19FA 7D85 1CC1 E067 6D65 70E5 4CE7 2860
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 4 updates in 1 topic"

Post a Comment