Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 4 updates in 2 topics

sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com Google Groups
Unsure why you received this message? You previously subscribed to digests from this group, but we haven't been sending them for a while. We fixed that, but if you don't want to get these messages, send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
amdx <nojunk@knology.net>: Sep 25 12:07PM -0500

On 9/25/2014 11:23 AM, Tom Miller wrote:
>> adjust it from a 75 volt meter to a 15 volt meter. Digital meters are
>> not real helpful for this type of testing.
 
> Is the replacement starter a new one or a rebuild?
 
I didn't put it on, my had here nephew put it on, and he usually gets
parts at Napa. However my wife gave me orders to get new contacts at
Toyota, so I figured she must have talked to him (she wouldn't now such
a thing to say) That makes me think maybe he got it at Toyota.
The receipt is in 2012 0r 2013 file, but I don't care to dig it out.
 
But I don't want to throw parts at it, rather figure it out first.
I have notice oil on the starter/solenoid, it is dripping from the
valve cover, I tighten the screws, they were all very loose.
So, a new theory, oil has contaminated the contacts making for
intermittent starting. I'm holding off until the problem clears or
becomes more consistent.
Mikek
dplatt@coop.radagast.org (David Platt): Sep 25 10:05AM -0700


> I'm having very intermittent lack of starter rotation on a Toyota
>T-100. Over the last 14 years I have replaced the contacts it the
>solenoid and more recently (1 to 2 years) replaced the starter.
 
For what it's worth, I had repeated problems with the starter on a
Ford Aerostar I owned - I believe the engine and starter were of
Mitsubishi origin.
 
The symptoms were that every three years or so, cranking would become
intermittent - occasionally slow to start cranking. It would get
worse and worse, and eventually the starter would fail to engage at
all. Sometimes, if the starter wouldn't work after the vehicle had
been stopped only for a short time, I could let the vehicle sit for a
couple of hours and it would start again.
 
I had to have the starter replaced two or three times during the time
I owned the Aerostar. It would always fix the problem... for about
three years... and then it would recur.
 
What I was told, by one of the mechanics who worked on it, was that
the starter was prone to developing a bad spot on the
commutator... I'd guess it was due to arcing. If the bad spot was
bad/burned enough, then when the starter happened to stop rotating
with this spot under one of the brushes, there wouldn't be adequate
contact and the starter would not crank.
 
It would probably have been possible to service the starter (open it
up and re-turn the commutator ring) and I imagine that's probably what
was done to the "remanufactured" starters I bought.
mroberds@att.net: Sep 26 09:29AM

> Question 1) The battery voltage sets at 12.7, when I energize the
> starter it drops to 10.7.
> Is that a normal voltage under starter load?
 
Yeah. The starter can be drawing up to a couple of hundred amps, so
it's normal for it to go down some. I have heard various values for
the line between "good" and "bad", usually somewhere between 9 and
10 V.
 
> starter without starting the motor.
> How do you disable the spark on these newer vehicles without a
> distributor cap? (newer 1997) :-)
 
Probably the most common is to remove the fuel pump relay or fuse, or
unplug the fuel pump. Note that if the vehicle has been run recently,
there might still be enough pressure in the injection system to run the
engine for several seconds the first time you crank it after removing
the fuse/relay or unplugging.
 
If you have the style where multiple coils sit on an ignition module,
unplugging the low-voltage connector to the ignition module will
usually kill the spark.
 
Matt Roberds
"Danny D." <dannydiamico@gmail.com>: Sep 25 06:17PM

Carl Ijames wrote, on Thu, 25 Sep 2014 12:06:03 -0400:
 
> I meant, get a tank from Praxair and take it to Carbonic and pay them to
> fill it. Then decide if you ever want to go back to Praxair (maybe just
> before that hydro expires?
 
Oh. I'm sorry. That *is* clever!
 
It solves *both* problems.
 
I will call Praxair now.
Praxair 408-588-2035 $29.49 for a swap of steel for steel
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 4 updates in 2 topics"

Post a Comment