Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 22 updates in 8 topics

"Shaun" <stereobuff07@gmail.com>: Apr 03 01:09PM -0500

"Mike" wrote in message
news:gqydnRFqvNekxoHInZ2dnUVZ7t-dnZ2d@brightview.co.uk...
 
On Wed, 01 Apr 2015 15:08:00 -0600, modernscience wrote:
 
> possible, no one can say for sure. All we can do is to conserve the
> electrons we still have, while preparing for the day when all of our
> modern electrical devices will cease to function.
 
But where are they all ending up? One does not want to stumble into them
by accident; seems dangerous!
 
Mike.
 
 
What have you been smoking buddy?
 
This must be an April fools joke.
 
Shaun
Mike <news@mjcoon.plus.com>: Apr 03 01:41PM -0500

On Fri, 03 Apr 2015 13:09:13 -0500, Shaun wrote:
 
 
> What have you been smoking buddy?
 
> This must be an April fools joke.
 
> Shaun
 
I've never smoked anything in my life. So my ageing brain is still capable
of spotting an April fool and joining in, thank you very much!
 
Mike.
mogulah@hotmail.com: Apr 04 08:37AM -0700

> Article 4115
> Posted: April 1, 2015
 
> The world is running out of electrons.
 
The Sun can sometimes offer more electrons under very dangerous scenarios, though:
 
"On September 1-2, 1859, one of the largest recorded geomagnetic storms (as recorded by ground-based magnetometers) occurred ... Some telegraph operators could continue to send and receive messages despite having disconnected their power supplies.[9]
 
(Solar Storm of 1859, also known as the Carrington event)
 
-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859
"spiny urchin" <nobody@nowhere.com>: Apr 04 02:11AM -0400

I know enough about electronics to know what components to obtain. I know
enough about soldering to do the least of it as possible. I know enough
about programming to find the right software I need.
 
So why spend hours re-inventing the wheel when for 1/4 the price of labor I
can use the wheels that were already invented?
 
I don't know. You tell me.
 
http://www.stonetabernacle.com/compound_circuit.html
John Robertson <spam@flippers.com>: Apr 04 08:04AM -0700

On 04/03/2015 11:11 PM, spiny urchin wrote:
 
> I don't know. You tell me.
 
> http://www.stonetabernacle.com/compound_circuit.html
 
Because it is FUN!
 
John :-#)#
--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the newsgroup)
John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
(604)872-5757 or Fax 872-2010 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."
2phar <none@example.com>: Apr 04 04:23AM

Hi group..
 
There are seven of these sockets within a 1964 built house in Michigan USA:
 
"http://i60.tinypic.com/2628481.jpg"
 
Four in the corners of the living room, and three in the master bedroom.
 
I haven't had much success yet tracing where they lead to using a toner.
There doesn't appear to be any central point they all end up. Each one
has two solid core wires soldered to it on the back side. Looks like
they were installed with the original build of the house - the wires
from each seem to route through the walls.
 
I initially thought they were DIN loudspeaker connectors, but as you
can see the two contacts are both flat. The centres of the two contacts
are about 7mm apart.
 
Anyone know what they might be?
 
TIA
"Tom Miller" <tmiller11147@verizon.net>: Apr 04 01:10AM -0400

"2phar" <none@example.com> wrote in message
news:mfnov7$f7e$1@dont-email.me...
> are about 7mm apart.
 
> Anyone know what they might be?
 
> TIA
 
Jones connector.
 
Male:
http://www.newark.com/cinch/p-302h-ab/plug-socket-connector-plug-2-position/dp/11M5827
 
Female
http://www.newark.com/cinch/s-302h-ab/plug-socket-connector-socket-2/dp/12M1388
 
 
HTH
whit3rd <whit3rd@gmail.com>: Apr 04 12:52AM -0700

On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 9:23:59 PM UTC-7, 2phar wrote:
 
> There are seven of these sockets within a 1964 built house in Michigan USA:
 
> "http://i60.tinypic.com/2628481.jpg"
 
That's a two-pin Jones plug. General purpose connectors, not approved for
household AC power, nor intended for RF. So, speaker wiring seems likely.
Pat <pat@nospam.us>: Apr 04 09:31AM -0400

On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 00:52:07 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd <whit3rd@gmail.com>
wrote:
 
 
>> "http://i60.tinypic.com/2628481.jpg"
 
>That's a two-pin Jones plug. General purpose connectors, not approved for
>household AC power, nor intended for RF. So, speaker wiring seems likely.
Hams used to use them for 12v DC so maybe someone used them to power
radios and other 12V equipment and have it all backed up by a 12V car
battery somewhere. As others have said, though, they could be for
anything - speakers, etc.
amdx <nojunk@knology.net>: Apr 04 09:22AM -0500

On 4/4/2015 2:52 AM, whit3rd wrote:
 
>> "http://i60.tinypic.com/2628481.jpg"
 
> That's a two-pin Jones plug. General purpose connectors, not approved for
> household AC power, nor intended for RF. So, speaker wiring seems likely.
 
So where is the mostly likely place to install a sound system.
It may not have been a regular stereo, as in the living room, could have
been mounted in the wall of the kitchen, maybe a utility closet.
You might look for a square patch in the kitchen wall where it used to be.
Good luck, Mikek
 
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com
John Robertson <spam@flippers.com>: Apr 04 07:59AM -0700

On 04/03/2015 9:23 PM, 2phar wrote:
> are about 7mm apart.
 
> Anyone know what they might be?
 
> TIA
 
If a toner isn't working then try using some sort of spark gap device (a
old door buzzer for example) jumper one side to one wire and a portable
AM radio. Tune for the noise and follow that in the walls..
 
http://www.edaboard.co.uk/cable-tracing-through-a-building-t527612.html
 
The second posting on this page is another way.
 
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/tracing-underground-electrical-wiring-metal-detector-or-other-means/
 
I have an old Model T Ford ignition coil that I use.
 
http://www.mtfca.com/coils/Coils.htm
 
Oh, and I suggest you only connect to one of the two pins.
 
John :-#)#
 
--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the newsgroup)
John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
(604)872-5757 or Fax 872-2010 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."
"Bob F" <bobnospam@gmail.com>: Apr 03 05:54PM -0700

I have a JVC KT-HDPK1 add-on HD radio tuner I removed from my car. I Have hooked
it up indoors to my stereo received so I can get HD radio channels on my old
receiver.
 
I have a Radio Shack 15-100 8-in-one learning remote. I used the remote from the
JVC HD tuner to program the learning remote AUX device keys on the RS 15-100,
and it claimed to learn them all fine. However, it does not operate the JVC HD
tuner at all. None of the programmed buttons do anything.
 
The 15-100 remote showed the AUX device as SONY AUX, before and after the
programming. I didn't change this, assuming that it would not have codes built
in for this device. Does a JVC device have to be selected for the remote to
operate a JVC car tuner, or is this irrelevant? Does anyone have any ideas how I
can get this working?
 
If I get working codes into this remote, then I can use the JP1 interface to
store them on my PC for future remote control programming.
N_Cook <diverse@tcp.co.uk>: Apr 04 03:53PM +0100

On 04/04/2015 01:54, Bob F wrote:
> can get this working?
 
> If I get working codes into this remote, then I can use the JP1 interface to
> store them on my PC for future remote control programming.
 
Try the learning at a different separation of original and learner ?
jaugustine@verizon.net: Apr 04 07:55AM -0500

Hi,
 
I have Googled for an IDE extension cable for 2.5 inch hard drive (used
in laptops), but I did not find a source.
 
Most important, the extension cable must have a male connector on
one end, and female on the other.
 
Does anyone know a source?
 
Thank You in advance, John
"spiny urchin" <nobody@nowhere.com>: Apr 04 05:51AM -0400

I have internet long distance that charges for all outgoing calls. I also
have a land line for local calls only. I designed this circuit to switch
between land line and internet. The circuit also has a 3-way switch to turn
the entire phone service off/on from two locations in my house.
 
Don't mind the artwork. The circuit is in there somewhere.
 
http://www.stonetabernacle.com/3PHONE_CIRCUIT3.html
 
One advantage is if my land line goes dead I can switch to internet phone
and still make calls. I've been having a lot of that the past few months.
gregz <zekor@comcast.net>: Apr 04 08:47AM

Anyone have experience with these cheap chinese component testers,
resistor, transistor, esr, etc. Prices under $50. Caveats, what to look for
?
 
Greg
Charlie <cdknospam@msn.com>: Apr 03 03:37PM -0400

On 4/3/2015 7:59 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> LCD, it's probably because its predecessor, the LED display, _wasn't_
> tautological (combined with the feeling lots of people have that
> abbreviations with only two letters are unsettling).
 
Caller ID is almost useless in my area.
Turns out that the telemarketers are using bogus unassigned local (in
area) numbers more and more frequently.
Blocking specific out of area area codes still works for some of the
calls. I swear that the telemarketers are using the do not call list as
a data base to call anyway.
To add insult, the calls, when answered, may transfer to another number
that is also hidden, or an overseas answering center.
"Tough Guy no. 1265" <no@spam.com>: Apr 03 08:41PM +0100

> DSL on copper and all wired phones. So whatever is used will have to
> work with this existing system. Anyone have ideas? Are there any
> number pressing devices cheaper than $100?
 
I stopped using my landline for this reason. I use my mobile for everything. I have a £5 a month fee which gives me 240 free minutes to mobiles and landlines, which my landline didn't. It seems salesmen are less likely to call mobiles as it costs them more, or they're not in the phonebook.
 
--
Do infants have as much fun in their infancy as adults do in adultery?
Al Drake <AlDrake@Spamex.Com>: Apr 03 04:30PM -0400

On 4/3/2015 3:41 PM, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
> mobiles and landlines, which my landline didn't. It seems salesmen are
> less likely to call mobiles as it costs them more, or they're not in the
> phonebook.
 
I have Vonage which I love. They have a feature called "selective call
blocking" Vonage will by default block all calls that will not show
their number. If you get a call where no message is left you can go to
their site and see where the number came from. So many good features I
don't think people even know about.
Al Drake <AlDrake@Spamex.Com>: Apr 03 04:41PM -0400

On 3/31/2015 3:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
 
> The works if you want to be rid of an ex-wife or girlfriend. The
> telemarketers use different numbers very often and you really don't get
> a lot of repeats.
 
But you can only block 10 ex-wives. :(
Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com>: Apr 03 02:54PM -0700

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 08:12:53 -0400, bill ashford <billa!x@top.com>
wrote:
 
>work with this existing system. Anyone have ideas? Are there any
>number pressing devices cheaper than $100?
 
>Thanks-- bill
 
I originally had JF Teck "Caller ID With Ring Controller". That
device mutes the first ring while it reads the caller-ID, then allows
or mutes any further rings if the offending number is found in memory.
It has also has white-listing capability, which I never used.
 
The problem is that muting that first ring prevents the house phones
from reading the caller-ID themselves.
 
You may remember a thread of mine from several years ago where I added
my own box such that ring voltage was sent to the phones, but the
phones had their ringers turned-off, thus "quietly" reading the
caller-ID, my box then sent a ring signal on a separate pair to a
local ringer.
 
Now I'm VOIP with Ooma, who subscribe to the Nomorobo listing, plus I
personally block all 800 numbers... the silence is golden ;-)
 
For my cell phone I add spammers to my contact list, Zpam-1, etc., but
set them to no-ring. It's rare that a spammer waits 9 rings to
intrude on my voicemail >:-}

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | |
| Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat |
| E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |

I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.net>: Apr 04 12:02AM -0400

On 4/3/2015 4:30 PM, Al Drake wrote:
 
> their number. If you get a call where no message is left you can go to
> their site and see where the number came from. So many good features I
> don't think people even know about.
 
I'd miss some important call that way. Sometimes the information does
not show up, but it is a legitimate call that I want to take. Not sure
why it happens, but it is sporadic. I ignored a call that said
UNAVAILABLE but my wife picked it up. It was our son and his number
usually show.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 22 updates in 8 topics"

Post a Comment