Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 10 updates in 3 topics

Ashton Crusher <demi@moore.net>: Sep 26 11:27AM -0700

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 02:55:49 +0000 (UTC), Vincent Cheng Hoi Chuen
>that's the case.
 
>When they reflash the ecu, wouldn't that lowering of fuel *increase* gas
>mileage *and* bring NOx emissions back down to where they said they were?
 
Have you actually seen any factual data that they were providing more
fuel? From the little bit of decent info I've seen it looked more
like they were trying to extend the life of some "filter" by turning
the filter "off" and just letting the stuff fly out the tailpipe.
 
some info here..
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/09/22/business/international/vw-volkswagen-emissions-explainer.html
Ashton Crusher <demi@moore.net>: Sep 26 11:43AM -0700

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 01:56:01 +0000 (UTC), JJ <jj4public@vfemail.net>
wrote:
 
 
>The NY Times said it was "sophisticated".
>http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/25/business/international/problems-at-volkswagen-start-in-the-boardroom.html
 
>I think it was just brazen.
 
 
No reason it can't be both.
jurb6006@gmail.com: Sep 26 11:58AM -0700

>"The VW cars in queston are DIESEL, not gas. "
 
I have to admit that at first I didn't catch that. But then I did. However, doesn't the same apply ? The theory of EGR is to starve it for O2 a bit so the burning slows down. That should apply here as well.
 
But then I am not completely versed in all the pumps etc. these things may use. There was a time when they could not use a catalytic convertor on a diesel. Apparently things have changed. but what was presented really did seem to indicate that turning off the EGR except during a test was the issue. That is the impression I got in the beginning.
 
However, now other things are coming out, for one the allowing more fuel. But aren't those diesels just like the biguns ? There is no throttle, the injection pump determines the power output. Am I wrong here ? Where the hell would I get such information ? I can't just walk into a car lot and start taking apart their cars to find out.
 
As far as I know, diesels takes in all the air they can get so there is no controlling the mixture. It needs all that air to ignite the fuel. Putting in more fuel should not cool the burn, just make it burn more. Without a throttle plate the mixture is what it is and there is nothing that can be done.
 
Therefore the only way to control N2O is by EGR, and the article did state that the N2O may have been 40 times the limit.
 
Another poster somewhere in thread mentioned they should think about all this gas mileage and consider the pollution produced in the refining (cracking) process. Governments can be pennywise and poundfoolish really when it comes to things that require gray matter. Like what they did to flourescent lights. When I was in business I used them because they were more efficient and lasted longer. It was not a big business so I generally had the 4 foot 40 watt jobs. They lasted many years.
 
Then they came out with those frikken energy saving jobs and they not only flickered worse when cold, they also did not last as long. they totally disregarded the pollution caused not only by manufacturing more bulbs, but all the shit in the landfills.
 
One of these days I am going to contact the bleeding heart liberals about this. Lead free solder is used because of planned obsolescence, or actual planned failure to the point of unrepairability. This must stop.
 
Catalytic convertors are still mandated even though they are almost useless. At least in gas cars, with the computer they can run so clean they do not need it. In fact they could be tuned for better mileage and performance without it because there HAS to be some pollution and oxygen in the exhaust to keep the cat lit. The mixture cannot be stoichometric, which would be the ideal and pretty much the exhaust, except for mostly nitrogen, CO2 and H2O. But there would be nothing to catalyse.
 
Yup, they actually pollute on purpose to test the convertor. How does that grabya ? They are putting gout more heat, and less power and efficiency by mandate.
 
Beam me up Scotty, there is no intelligent life here. At least it seems. The fact is that these politicians are such motherfuckers that they may well know EXACTLY what they're doing.
 
Maybe. Generally, I have found intelligent people to be more trustworthy than idiots. They know the consequences of their actions. They become socially and morally responsible. So that means an intelligent politician might just be an oxymoron.
Ashton Crusher <demi@moore.net>: Sep 26 05:58PM -0700

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 18:42:47 +0000 (UTC), Winston_Smith
>standards with reduced drivability, or, with the addition of a urea
>system.
 
>Either will be expensive.
 
What I'd like to find out someday is what the actual difference "on
the road" is in drivablity between the cars in "cheat" mode versus
when they run with all the emissions turned on like they are supposed
to. It would be funny if there really wasn't very much difference and
they did this just to get 31.9 mpg instead of 31.2 mpg and 0-60 of
12.0 seconds rather then 12.3.
jurb6006@gmail.com: Sep 27 09:05AM -0700

>to. It would be funny if there really wasn't very much difference >and
>they did this just to get 31.9 mpg instead of 31.2 mpg and 0-60 of
>12.0 seconds rather then 12.3. "
 
Ahh, the "FQ".
 
The Fahrvergnügen Quotient.
jurb6006@gmail.com: Sep 26 11:30AM -0700

What there is of a service manual is at :
 
http://exodus.poly.edu/~kurt/manuals/manuals/HP%20Agilent/HP%203561A%20Service.pdf
 
I do believe an actual schematic would help. I need the vertical deflection circuit.
 
OK, I blew out the power supply by making a short with the probe at the input to the -12 volt regulator. Of course it has an obscure HP part number on it but I can see it is a simple 7912 regulator. It is possible I blew it shorting the input if it has alot of capacitance on the output but that is not really an issue right now. First I will get the power supply up again. The referenced URL there has some basic block diagrams, and I am pretty sure I just blew a fusible somewhere.
 
But the reason I was in there in the first place is because it has a fault in the vertical sweep - foldover. Like on a TV when the boost cap or circuit fails, EXCEPT on this baby it is at the bottom of the raster as it does not scan top to bottom, but bottom to top.
 
It is not easy to follow this circuit because of the two sided board, but not impossible. The problem is that those people could put anything anywhere, and do. I can tell the vertical output is common emitter complementary push pull. The collectors are hooked together and are the output high side.
 
I do not see a third "retrace" transistor anywhere, but knowing how engineers are it might be on the frikken control panel or something. Also, retrace boosters are hard to implement with a common emitter push pull circuit.
 
I actually cannot see the yoke, but observing the high side of the vertical output I know it has one because it looks pretty much like the yoke drive in a TV. If electrostatic it would just be a sawtooth wave.
 
I would really like to see a detailed schematic of the vertical circuit here. I do not just "try" parts to see if that was the fault usually and I am certainly not going to start on something like this. I know that in instrumentation I cannot get away with some of the shit you can flub in a TV set or a stereo. I learned the hard way that when they say 15 volts they do not mean 16.5 is OK, it usually is not.
 
The thing puts out the waveform incoming along with the spectral analysis at the top. A sine wave was showing what looks like severe crossover distortion in an audio amp, but another scope confirmed it was not like that. Looked a little closer and the raster is not filling the screen and there is a compression right there. I also think I am missing one of the function names. They are on screen next to the buttons and none of that lines up of course.
 
Anyway, I am seeing hints of a "Volume 2" of the service manual which I suspect contains the information I want. I have been almost everywhere and it is not to be found. If anyone has it I need it, even if you have it on paper and could scan me a JPG of the vertical circuit would be fine. (if you can't get my email from this post I will give it to you, unless you can Dropbox it or something)
 
Really, I can probably do it without but it would take a hell of alot more time.
 
Thanks in advance for anything helpful.
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>: Sep 26 12:32PM -0700


>Of course it has an obscure HP part number on it but I can see it
>is a simple 7912 regulator.
 
It might be a good idea to check. Google for "HP part number cross
reference" and you'll find various lists. This one looks good:
<http://www.sphere.bc.ca/download/hp_xref-free.pdf>
 
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
jurb6006@gmail.com: Sep 27 08:58AM -0700

Thanks, that might come in handy.
 
Looks like I have to RTFM even with what I got. This thing shut down with a slip of the probe and now appears to need to be reset. There doesn't seem to be any bad components but there is no drive to the power supply choppers. I am going to make surer of that later today I think. It is difficult to access anything to test so I'll do hat I usually do - stick a wire on it and slide the card back in.
 
The way this thing is put together I can't even find the main transformer ! I pretty much know where it is but can't see hide nor hair of it.
 
This is another one where I look at how it is built and go "Why ?". They got the choppers on a standup car, the transformer on the motherboard and the rectifiers on another standup card. The logical assumption is they intended for service to be able to be performed on a modular level. All fine and good, but a part of me goes "Are you kidding ?".
 
I can't bitch. I couldn't design the thing at all. But I can go "Huh ?".
 
Anyway, thanks. And if you catch wind of any "reset" routine for HP stuff let me know. I am going to triple check that there are no blown components, like fuzibes n shit.
amdx <nojunk@knology.net>: Sep 27 06:33AM -0500

On 9/26/2015 11:07 AM, Don Bruder wrote:
 
>> On 25/09/2015 23:41, Seymore4Head wrote:
>>> I assume everyone has heard of this kid and his clock.
>>> http://truthuncensored.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ahmed-mohamed-clock.jp
 
The way this has been treated will not be good for the,
"if you see something, say something" protection from terrorists campaign.
I guess from now on, if it's a white male, go ahead "say something"
but if it's a minority, do you want to open yourself up to the ridicule?
We're fucked, to much PC for our own good.
 
 
Mikek
Oltimer <nup@nup.com>: Sep 27 10:18PM +0800

On 27-Sep-15 12:07 AM, Don Bruder wrote:
> stupid to actually think, so we ran the kid through the mill to try to
> justify our existence.")
 
> The kid done good. The Powers That Be fucked up - In spades.
 
Don, you fool. You have obviously not seen an aluminium frame tool case
close on a power lead AC, DC or otherwise.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 10 updates in 3 topics"

Post a Comment