Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 11 updates in 4 topics

"Kenny Cargill" <me@privacy.net>: Dec 29 04:53PM

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
Boot from this, there are a number of disk tools on it, might help.
 
Kenny Cargill
 
wrote in message
news:bddb7500-1310-4787-be65-cb24d12a50a5@googlegroups.com...
 
Hi guys. I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me with this. I was
watching a video yesterday on my laptop and three quarters through the
screen just froze. It wouldn't respond to anything. I had to do a hard
reset. When it tried to come back up it never completed Post and now it will
not recognize the hard drive. Running diags only shows two attempts at a
"DST short test" with the failure code 2000-0141displayed, and no options to
load a HDD protocol or make an changes in the HDD. Does anyone know if this
is repairable or am I screwed? Thanks for any assistance. Lenny
 
 
--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net ---
Genesys <wolstech@gmail.com>: Dec 29 06:03PM -0800

> Hi guys. I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me with this. I was watching a video yesterday on my laptop and three quarters through the screen just froze. It wouldn't respond to anything. I had to do a hard reset. When it tried to come back up it never completed Post and now it will not recognize the hard drive. Running diags only shows two attempts at a "DST short test" with the failure code 2000-0141displayed, and no options to load a HDD protocol or make an changes in the HDD. Does anyone know if this is repairable or am I screwed? Thanks for any assistance. Lenny
 
Your hard disk quit. I have a D630 as well, and have seen the 0141 error twice. Both times, a new disk fixed it. Freezing is a common outcome when the hard disk disappears while booted off of it.
 
0141 is an indication that the disk is missing, not that the disk reported a failure. Ignoring improper seating and damaged connectors, the usual cause is mechanical failure (head out of tolerance / crashed onto disk, scraped platters, etc.). Most modern disks read disk parameters and even the firmware from the platters, so a mechanical failure that prevents it from reading the system tracks will often prevent the BIOS from seeing the disk.
 
If you remove the hard disk, the system will likely POST at a more normal pace, then complain about the lack of something to boot from.
c4urs11 <c4urs11@domain.hidden>: Dec 30 02:25AM

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 06:34:32 -0800, captainvideo462009 wrote:
 
> I was watching a video yesterday on my laptop and three quarters through
> the screen just froze. It wouldn't respond to anything.
 
Can you hear the disk spinning?
 
Power management may have stopped the drive while watching the video.
Then any next access to the disk (say some operation with the swap file)
could freeze the OS if the drive doesn't spin up again.
 
I have had many drives in the past needing repeated power cycling
before they would start: last calls for a final backup...
 
Cheers!
"Ian Field" <gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com>: Dec 29 06:58PM

"N_Cook" <diverse@tcp.co.uk> wrote in message
news:n5tbbp$e35$1@dont-email.me...
 
>> Just a few categories that interested me filled a 32Gb flash drive.
 
> What is the revenue stream to pay for that sort of bandwidth consuming
> platform ?
 
No idea - maybe that's why I got a domain for sale page when I tried to load
datasheets.ru.
 
Within months of the 9/11 attacks, partminer decided their archive of
datasheets should be a revenue stream - by about 2012 they went tits up.
"Ian Field" <gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com>: Dec 29 09:33PM

"Ian Field" <gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:7JAgy.222125$J75.101139@fx36.am4...
>> platform ?
 
> No idea - maybe that's why I got a domain for sale page when I tried to
> load datasheets.ru.
 
..............actually, that should've read; "pinouts.ru" - I was thinking
of something else while typing.
M Philbrook <jamie_ka1lpa@charter.net>: Dec 29 05:44PM -0500

In article <__Cgy.472844$JS6.111720@fx41.am4>,
gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com says...
> > load datasheets.ru.
 
> ..............actually, that should've read; "pinouts.ru" - I was thinking
> of something else while typing.
 
still works for me?
Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net>: Dec 29 08:03PM -0500

On 12/28/2015 04:05 PM, Ian Field wrote:
 
> Speaking of Polish - there is or was a datasheets.pl site.
 
> Its among the Google hits, but Edge keeps telling me it can't reach the
> page.
 
Try the Wayback Machine.
 
Cheers
 
Phil Hobbs
 
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC
Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
 
160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
 
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
c4urs11 <c4urs11@domain.hidden>: Dec 30 01:28AM

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 20:03:22 -0500, Phil Hobbs wrote:
 
 
> Try the Wayback Machine.
 
> Cheers
 
> Phil Hobbs
 
It is still alive.
Pages take a long time to load.
 
Site <datasheets.pl> links to <http://ql212.internetdsl.tpnet.pl:8080/datasheets/>
 
Cheers!
Bob Engelhardt <BobEngelhardt@comcast.net>: Dec 29 03:16PM -0500

On 12/29/2015 2:52 AM, Charlie+ wrote:
 
>> The saw is under warranty - if I can find the receipt for it (unlikely)!
 
> You might have baught it with a credit card, the account would give you
> proof of purchase.. C+
 
Oh ... good idea! I almost certainly did use a card. Thanks
 
Bob
Bob Engelhardt <BobEngelhardt@comcast.net>: Dec 29 03:19PM -0500

On 12/29/2015 7:46 AM, John-Del wrote:
 
> If you can't find the receipt, reflow the board (including the chip). I've seen a lot of reflow repairs where flexing or thermal cycling is inconclusive. Make sure you don't miss the crystal/resonator. Thoroughly clean the board afterwards as some unseen residues can wreak havoc with processor ICs.
 
Thanks. I'll definitely try that if I can't get it fixed under warranty.
 
Bob
"Ian Field" <gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com>: Dec 29 06:54PM

"John Heath" <heathjohn2@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:aa92f31a-f9b2-4afd-9558-d1fbac7cd493@googlegroups.com...
 
> The IR receiver in the TV or stereo is a standard part with 3 leads GND ,
> 5V , and data out. Standard as they all work at 34 KHz , same frequency as
> the old audio ping remotes.
 
AFAIK: there are 3 inbuilt filter frequencies; 36, 38 and 40kHz and its
usually suffixed to the part number - not that they ever stamp it on the
physical part.
 
Having said that - I made a remote tester with a randomly selected sensor
from whatever equipment I scrapped last, it responds to all the remotes I've
used it to test.
 
Between them, the various manufacturers have used every possible permutation
for the layout of the 3 pins - when I salvage them, I leave them on the
front panel PCB so I can trace the tracks and figure out which pin does
what.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 11 updates in 4 topics"

Post a Comment