Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 6 updates in 4 topics

Peter Chrisbacher <pxbacher@gmail.com>: Oct 01 03:11PM -0700

Greetings all -
 
The house into which I just moved has a gas fireplace with a remote receiver. I didn't receive a remote transmitter when I moved in.
 
Rather than replace the pair, I figured I'd just buy a matching remote... easier said than done. The remote transmitter is old and unavailable except on eBay. It's an early model with hardwired jumpers. The (used, fairly old) remote I bought has jumpers 2 - 9 with wires bridging the "jumpers," with two of the wires cut.
 
The label on the back of the receiver says it was factory set to security code 57, and the remote I purchased says it was factory set to security code 18. So I'm thinking "Easy peasy! Just match the jumpers in the remote with those in the receiver." So that's what I did - I solder-connected a cut jumper and cut one uncut jumper in the remote to match them up.
 
Unfortunately, no joy, despite fresh batteries in both the receiver and transmitter.
 
The transmitter LED lights up, so I *assume* it's transmitting. Just wondering if anyone's seen examples where the remote and receiver jumpers *weren't* identical for them to be matched up. One other odd thing; I don't get how the security code of the remote was "18" with the following settings: 2:0 3:1 4:1 5:1 6:0 7:1 8:1 9:1. Nor can I make "57" out of: 2:0 3:0 4:1 5:1 6:1 7:1 8:1 9:0.
 
Thanks
 
-Pete
N_Cook <diverse@tcp.co.uk>: Oct 02 08:26AM +0100

On 01/10/2016 23:11, Peter Chrisbacher wrote:
 
> The transmitter LED lights up, so I *assume* it's transmitting. Just wondering if anyone's seen examples where the remote and receiver jumpers *weren't* identical for them to be matched up. One other odd thing; I don't get how the security code of the remote was "18" with the following settings: 2:0 3:1 4:1 5:1 6:0 7:1 8:1 9:1. Nor can I make "57" out of: 2:0 3:0 4:1 5:1 6:1 7:1 8:1 9:0.
 
> Thanks
 
> -Pete
 
First thing is to shine any old known good IR receiver at a video camera
, to check IR acceptance and then confirm your IR LED/s are emitting by
doing the same
Peter Chrisbacher <pxbacher@gmail.com>: Oct 02 08:11AM -0700

It's radio - not IR :(
"Benderthe.evilrobot" <Benderthe.evilrobot@virginmedia.com>: Oct 01 09:53PM +0100

<ohger1s@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:50f200ae-cfbb-4718-b7ab-4ed121adf9a9@googlegroups.com...
> (Duracell and Energizer specifically) are known to be counterfeited. Not
> saying that has anything to do with the link but just throwing that out
> there.
 
Just taken a pair of dead Duracell AA cells out of a TV remote that had been
laying around a long time - no evidence of leakage at all.
 
Kodak Extralife from the £ store are much cheaper and last nearly as long,
so I buy a couple of packs when I remember - just got to the back of the
drawer where I keep them and found a couple of dud cells. One had a bit of
corrosion on the negative contact, the other was clean.
"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com>: Oct 02 07:49AM +1100

John McGaw <Nobody@Nowh.ere> wrote
>>> several emergency contact numbers.
 
>> That's not the sort of emergency he is talking about.
 
> Why a folder?
 
He's that obsessively anal. He forces his kids to use his folder
arrangements and locks their devices down so they can't change that
stuff. He hasn't realised that they will be picking his nursing home...
 
> apps can just be placed on, lets say, the last one. As one thinks of new
> possibilities they can be placed there and if they later seem to be of
> less use they can be removed.
 
He's too obsessively anal for that.
 
> I can't actually think of too many apps that would be useful only in an
> emergency and only in an emergency
 
Me neither. Tho you can certainly make a case for having
icons for the stuff you do use in an emergency in a single
emergency folder where they are all grouped together and
where you can see them all at once, in a system which allows
duplicate icons for the stuff that is useful in an emergency.
 
> since they come in an infinite number of forms.
 
Not really that infinite.
 
> Personally I keep a 'daily' screen, a 'news and information' screen, a
> 'travel' screen, and an 'entertainment' screen.
 
I don't myself, I have the one main screen and have a few folders
on that for the groups of stuff like banks and other financial
institutions like credit unions, clouds, shopping etc, basically
so that I do almost everything from that one main screen.
 
> Guess I could move some stuff around and have 'emergency' one at the end.
 
I think its better to have an emergency folder on
the main screen for those who can get flustered
in an emergency. I don't, so don't bother myself.
 
> Just me, I guess...
 
I'd be surprised if some don't do it that way too.
 
That's essentially what <he of a thousand names> was asking,
who does what, and why do they do it the way they do.
Jon Elson <elson@pico-systems.com>: Oct 01 03:02PM -0500

N_Cook wrote:
 
>> 1/4 inch socket pcb pin.
 
> It was only white on initial extraction, grey now. With Brexit I suppose
> the UK will not go back to pre-RoHS SnPb.
 
Boy, would I sure LOVE to see a return to the tried and true PbSn solder,
but I think the chances of that are a very long shot.
 
Jon
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 6 updates in 4 topics"

Post a Comment