Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 14 updates in 4 topics

Doug White <gwhite@alum.mit.edu>: Dec 29 03:08AM

Doug White <gwhite@alum.mit.edu> wrote in
news:XnsA6EA927AC720Bgwhitealummitedu@69.16.179.43:
 
I took apart the original switch that died. The construction inside is
very different from the typical ones with a phenolic board. The C&K is
molded plastic, and the contacts are to the side of the switch slider,
rather than underneath. The contacts didn't look pitted or worn, but
there was some green corrosion. The design looks like it should provide
a good wiping action, but the force is supplied by a wimpy little coil
spring. I suspect that the corrosion built up to the point where the
feeble wiping force couldn't reliably break through the crud. I had
tried sliding it back & forth to scrub the contacts, but that didn't do
it. I don't know if the spring is too weak to start with, or maybe took
a compression set over time.
 
The DPDT CW brand switch with the threaded holes installed very nicely,
and with the contacts doubled up, it should last a long time. Not
having to mess with pop rivets means it will be trivial to replace if I
ever need to.
 
Thanks for all the input & discussion.
 
Doug White
w9gb <gregory.beat@gmail.com>: Dec 29 04:59AM -0800

Switchcraft / Conxall does mfg. Slide Switches with "Tapped Flanges" (available special order #2).
http://www.switchcraft.com/Category.aspx?Parent=654
 
Switchcraft 46200 Series Slide Switches, 2 Position, 1 Pole, 2 Pole : Spec Sheet
http://www.switchcraft.com/Specification.aspx?Parent=429
Standard Slide switch (larger then 1.20"). 46200 Series are 2 Position, 1 Pole, 2 Pole
 
SPECIAL ORDER FEATURES
 
1. .344 inch (8.74 mm) high knobs are standard; other heights available.
2. #6-32 and #4-40 tapped flanges for mounting available).
3. P.C. terminals.
4. Series 46000R switches are CSA marked on special order only.
"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell@earthlink.net>: Dec 28 02:17PM -0500


> The only Craftsman Philips drivers I ever damaged were replaced
> without a question. I think it was 2 in over 40 years.
 
 
The last one that I exchanged was a #2. I broke the tip the first
time I used it. I was removing the cover from a computer. One of those
cheap Chinese #6, with a combo Philips/hex head. I removed it with a no
name driver that I bought from 'Bud's Place', which was Walmart's
closeout branding. I bought 100 of them for 25 cents each. I had
intended to braze some of the 1/4" hex security bits on them, but I have
never managed to wear one out.
 
I've never bought another Craftsman tool since then. That was about
20 years ago.
 
 
 
--
Never piss off an Engineer!
 
They don't get mad.
 
They don't get even.
 
They go for over unity! ;-)
"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell@earthlink.net>: Dec 28 02:20PM -0500

Doug White wrote:
> and was wondering if folks have a favorite brand that grips screws well
> and holds up better. I've had good luck with Wiha drivers in the past,
> but mostly for smaller stuff (jeweler's screwdriver size).
 
 
Xcelite's quality dropped, after Cooper Tools bought them. Like
every other brand that they've purchased.
 
 
--
Never piss off an Engineer!
 
They don't get mad.
 
They don't get even.
 
They go for over unity! ;-)
"Benderthe.evilrobot" <Benderthe.evilrobot@virginmedia.com>: Dec 28 09:01PM

"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:UrWdndnd-pb4jfnFnZ2dnUU7-R9QAAAA@earthlink.com...
>> but mostly for smaller stuff (jeweler's screwdriver size).
 
> Xcelite's quality dropped, after Cooper Tools bought them. Like every
> other brand that they've purchased.
 
Like Weller soldering irons; I bought a new TCP-1 and the thermostat didn't
last a month.
 
They replaced the stat, no quibble - it lasted about a week.
 
They also used thinner plating on the tips - they usually broke through on
the bit inside the element barrel, the copper oxide would build up and seize
it in solid.
 
I switched to Antex because it was a cheap disposable item - it turned out
to be better than Weller.
David Billington <djb@invalid.com>: Dec 28 09:17PM

On 28/12/16 21:01, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
> build up and seize it in solid.
 
> I switched to Antex because it was a cheap disposable item - it turned
> out to be better than Weller.
I always liked my Antex irons and much preferred them to Wellers irons.
I think I've had one element fail and that was easily replaced at a
reasonable price and the iron is still going.
"Benderthe.evilrobot" <Benderthe.evilrobot@virginmedia.com>: Dec 28 10:08PM

"David Billington" <djb@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:o41a1s$366$1@dont-email.me...
> I always liked my Antex irons and much preferred them to Wellers irons. I
> think I've had one element fail and that was easily replaced at a
> reasonable price and the iron is still going.
 
A company I worked for bought out a competitor and piled all the stuff they
didn't want on the loading bay with a big sign; "help yourself" - I won a
big box of Weller irons that someone had taken to bits.
 
That kept me going a couple of decades and I even had a few spare to sell.
 
I was cobbling together sometimes very old parts - that did nothing to
prepare me for the non existent reliability of the iron produced since
Weller became part of Cooper tools.
Trevor Wilson <trevor@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au>: Dec 29 09:31AM +1100

On 27/12/2016 6:04 AM, Doug White wrote:
> but mostly for smaller stuff (jeweller's screwdriver size).
 
> Thanks!
 
> Doug White
 
**Sunflag. Excellent drivers.
 
I also have a couple of these:
 
http://prohek.sell.everychina.com/p-97576221-all-in-one-screwdriver-made-of-s2-steel.html
 
Made from S2 steel. VERY tough.
 
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Doug White <gwhite@alum.mit.edu>: Dec 29 02:56AM

Mr.E <Mr.E@totally.invalid> wrote in
>>the process.
 
> This would probably be a "JIS" screw. I have some Vessel brand and
> Wiha drivers that fit them well.
 
Well, I now have a set of Vessel JIS screwdrivers. They appear to be
just as pointy as the Phillips drivers I have. I did some digging, and
ran across a drwaing that compares JIS to Phillips:
 
http://revlimiter.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/post-297194-0-
10691700-1393492211.png
 
The JIS appears to be pointier. However, I also found a photograph that
compares the two:
 
http://www.shop.shinhopples.com/images/screws_JIS_phillips_comparison.jp
g
 
and that shows exactly the opposite.
 
I think my conclusion is that nobody makes screws or screwdrivers with
tight enough tolerances to be certain of anything. The advice to try
different drivers until you find one that doesn't wiggle before you
apply any force seems as good as it's going to get. I may also grind
the tips back a bit on some of my pointier drivers.
 
I still need to replace my Phillips #1's, and based on the various
comments, I think I will try Wera or Wiha.
 
Thanks for all the input & discussion. I'd forgotten all about Reed
Prince, although I'm not sure I've ever run across any.
 
Doug White
Leon Fisk <lfisk@no.spam.iserv.net>: Dec 29 08:39AM -0400

On Thu, 29 Dec 2016 02:56:53 GMT
Doug White <gwhite@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
 
<snip>
>just as pointy as the Phillips drivers I have. I did some digging, and
>ran across a drwaing that compares JIS to Phillips:
 
>http://revlimiter.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/post-297194-0-10691700-1393492211.png
 
I would say they are mislabeled. The look correct if you reverse the
labels.
 
>compares the two:
 
>http://www.shop.shinhopples.com/images/screws_JIS_phillips_comparison.jpg
 
>and that shows exactly the opposite.
 
Those look like I would expect...
 
>I still need to replace my Phillips #1's, and based on the various
>comments, I think I will try Wera or Wiha.
 
I don't think it pays to be a tool elitist anymore. Name Brands are
churning out crap too. One year they selling something good, next year
it isn't but looks EXACTLY the same.
 
You should just stop into your preferred store, Menards, Home Depot,
Lowes, Sears... and look over what they have. If you use it a short
time and it seems to be okay go buy a spare :)
 
If you have a company account you order through though... that's a
different can of worms...
 
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email
Cristian Goiano <ctaestudo@gmail.com>: Dec 28 01:07PM -0800

hi, Thank you for your awnser
 
Thank you!
 
 
Em sexta-feira, 23 de dezembro de 2016 18:51:09 UTC-2, unknown escreveu:
Cristian Goiano <ctaestudo@gmail.com>: Dec 28 01:23PM -0800

I need too 6-71-m74s0-d06a
 
you have my bro....
 
 
Em sexta-feira, 23 de dezembro de 2016 13:09:09 UTC-2, Cristian Goiano escreveu:
unknown <unknown@milky.way>: Dec 29 09:16AM

On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 13:23:58 -0800, Cristian Goiano wrote:
 
> I need too 6-71-m74s0-d06a
 
> you have my bro....
 
https://repo.palkeo.com/clevo-mirror/
Dois minutos de googling...
Cristian Goiano <ctaestudo@gmail.com>: Dec 28 01:24PM -0800

I apreciat it ...
 
tks, Cristian
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 14 updates in 4 topics"

Post a Comment