Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 12 updates in 2 topics

Ken Layton <KLayton888@aol.com>: Jan 30 09:29AM -0800

Yes, Antique Electronic Supply still makes fresh stock "twist prong" can style (a.k.a. Mallory "FP" type).
 
https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/capacitors?filters=Type%3DMulti-Section%20/%20Can%20Type
 
They also make the multi-section "under-the-chassis" (the ones that look like a giant firecracker) types:
 
https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/capacitors?filters=Type%3DMulti-Section%20/%20Firecracker
 
This guy also sells new twist prong cans:
 
https://hayseedhamfest.com/
"pfjw@aol.com" <pfjw@aol.com>: Jan 30 10:34AM -0800

Ken:
 
I can thing of half-a-dozen makers off-hand still active. I linked only the most broadly based with whom I have had direct experience. I guess these vendors are not available in to the hinterlands.
 
Dealing with Phil is much like nailing Jello - a not very rewarding endeavor.
 
But, while we are at it - and refuting Phil's "50-year old" crap:
 
https://www.cedist.com/products/capacitors?filters=Type%3DMulti-Section%20/%20Can%20Type
 
https://www.die-wuestens.de/dindex.htm?/k8.htm
 
http://www.jj-electronic.com/en/capacitors
 
These are only the most obvious with an international presence. I know of two cottage industry makers who do perhaps 30 or 40 per year as-needed for their customers. they want the old can as "trade", so I expect they actually restuff - but the results are visibly indistinguishable 'from new' right down to stamped cardboard covers - if that was OEM - but with their brand in place.
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Ken Layton <KLayton888@aol.com>: Jan 30 10:54AM -0800

I've done the "re-stuffing" thing myself a few times. It's a hassle and a couple of times the new capacitors I put into the can failed within a week (exploded inside the can). So I had to take them all apart again. Found out the replacement caps were counterfeits! Some were Jacques Ebert and some were Nichicon. All were purchased from my local electronics parts supplier.
"pfjw@aol.com" <pfjw@aol.com>: Jan 30 11:05AM -0800

On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 1:54:28 PM UTC-5, Ken Layton wrote:
> I've done the "re-stuffing" thing myself a few times. It's a hassle and a couple of times the new capacitors I put into the can failed within a week (exploded inside the can). So I had to take them all apart again. Found out the replacement caps were counterfeits! Some were Jacques Ebert and some were Nichicon. All were purchased from my local electronics parts supplier.
 
THAT is a serious and increasing problem. Caps in general, and electrolytics specifically, have reached the point of diminishing returns for manufacturers as most buyers simply don't care what they are getting. So the OEM manufacturer with a conscience is also competing with the Chinese and Indian back-alley operations.
 
I try to purchase from legitimate suppliers such as Mouser or Newark and I try to purchase 105C. rated caps for those 'stuffing' and 'tube-audio' purposes where temperatures are significant. For the hobbyist, the relative cost of parts in onesie/twosie is insignificant. For a manufacturer purchasing in the thousands, it might be. If I pay $5 for a cap vs. $0.99, it is often worth it to get the right part for the job and no 'go-back-later' crap.
 
I have the same attitude towards tools.
 
https://www.amazon.com/Channellock-349-Premium-Wiremaster-Linesman/dp/B00004SBD5
 
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tools/tool-storage/tool-kits-sets/9-inch-linesman-pliers?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=Cj0KEQiA5bvEBRCM6vypnc7QgMkBEiQAUZftQFhb4CxGBULGj1Y3woE-4BybtLSl12XcNv9npUFrZWsaAnMo8P8HAQ
 
Channellock.
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
ohger1s@gmail.com: Jan 30 12:17PM -0800

> On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 1:54:28 PM UTC-5, Ken Layton wrote:
> > I've done the "re-stuffing" thing myself a few times. It's a hassle and a couple of times the new capacitors I put into the can failed within a week (exploded inside the can). So I had to take them all apart again. Found out the replacement caps were counterfeits! Some were Jacques Ebert and some were Nichicon. All were purchased from my local electronics parts supplier.
 
> THAT is a serious and increasing problem. Caps in general, and electrolytics specifically, have reached the point of diminishing returns for manufacturers as most buyers simply don't care what they are getting. So the OEM manufacturer with a conscience is also competing with the Chinese and Indian back-alley operations.
 
I generally only buy Panasonic (like the EE or FR) from DigiKey. I'm sure Mouser and others supply them. I may be the only person on the planet who thinks Panasonic electros are the best in the world but that's what I buy for tough applications. Never had a problem and never saw one fail even after many years.
Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com>: Jan 30 08:01PM -0800

Ken Layton wrote:
 
> Yes, Antique Electronic Supply still makes fresh stock "twist prong"
> can style (a.k.a. Mallory "FP" type).
 
** They do not make any such thing.
 
The Mallory FP types are USA made examples from 50+ years ago - with a shiny label applied. I have seen them with all sections open circuit.
 
I pulled one apart and found the internals totally dried out - as one would expect.
 
You have not seen one at all.
 
 
.... Phil
Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com>: Jan 30 08:05PM -0800


> Dealing with Phil is much like nailing Jello
 
** Dealing with retarded idiots make me wanna puke.
 
 
 
> But, while we are at it - and refuting Phil's "50-year old" crap:
 
> https://www.cedist.com/products/capacitors?filters=Type%3DMulti-Section%20/%20Can%20Type
 
 
** How the hell does that *refute* anything ?
 
It doesn't.

 
 
.... Phil
"Ron D." <Ron.Dozier@gmail.com>: Jan 30 10:20PM -0800

This https://antiqueradio.org/recap.htm page should be useful. The perfectionists either stuff them or use the old ones for show and hide the new ones. Almost the same effect. I thin, I remember where the cap is cut cleanly and then essentially the lid taped on.
oldschool@tubes.com: Jan 31 12:36AM -0600

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 10:54:22 -0800 (PST), Ken Layton
>the can). So I had to take them all apart again. Found out the replacement caps
>were counterfeits! Some were Jacques Ebert and some were Nichicon. All were
>purchased from my local electronics parts supplier.
 
Could this be caused by a heat buildup inside the can?
At least the can protected you when they exploded though.
 
I dont know why it is, that the old caps used in tube equipment seemed
to last many years, sometimes 50 years or more, but today they fail in
only a few years. Seems a lot of computer boards have this problem
regularly. I would think that we would have better materials to make
them these days, than when they were just made from tin foil, paper and
wax, but it seems those old ones were far better.
oldschool@tubes.com: Jan 31 12:36AM -0600

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 06:48:52 -0800 (PST), "pfjw@aol.com" <pfjw@aol.com>
wrote:
 
>Coming from you, this makes me quietly proud! Yet, as it happens, I do feel sorry for you as, clearly, your meds are failing again.
 
>Peter Wieck
>Melrose Park, PA
 
Who the heck are you talking to?
"pfjw@aol.com" <pfjw@aol.com>: Jan 31 06:35AM -0800


> Who the heck are you talking to?
 
That would be Mr. Allison, our resident Tourette's Syndrome tech. He goes in fits and starts, with sometimes months of civility and good advice, punctuated with periods of full blown psychosis.
 
And, when both wrong *and* off his meds, he advocates all kinds of colorful fates for his momentary enemies.
 
It is a very good thing he is where he is - I doubt he would survive in an environment where he would be held accountable for his ravings.
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
"pfjw@aol.com" <pfjw@aol.com>: Jan 30 11:18AM -0800

Ralph:
 
Let me sum up my attitude with a single example:
 
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tools/Pliers-Vise/Pliers-Linesman/global-industrial-9-linesman-pliers-534198?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=Cj0KEQiA5bvEBRCM6vypnc7QgMkBEiQAUZftQMu0kyolt4EcooB_MEo8AetAZfVA-a5TGEu3sPRZXVEaAq908P8HAQ This?
 
https://www.amazon.com/Channellock-349-Premium-Wiremaster-Linesman/dp/B00004SBD5 Or this?
 
Do I need to explain why?
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 12 updates in 2 topics"

Post a Comment