Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 10 updates in 4 topics

Ralph Mowery <rmowery28146@earthlink.net>: Dec 30 11:08PM -0500

In article <71i74ddt8vjkceobkqfvogt0kf7bm77aoj@4ax.com>,
jeffl@cruzio.com says...
> warranty period or operate the advertised number of hours.
 
> What I find disgusting is that Apple did not make the feature optional
> and controlled in the settings.
 
If it takes slowing down the Apple so the battery will last, the battery
is not meeting the standard. I can see it slowing down after the
battery has lasted as long as it is warranted to. There should be some
mention of that in the book that comes with it.
 
 
Seems that would be equal to a car that will only go 40 MPH after it
gets say 30,000 miles on it and is warrentied for 50,000.
harry newton <harry@at.invalid>: Dec 31 03:23PM

He who is Ralph Mowery said on Sat, 30 Dec 2017 23:08:57 -0500:
 
> mention of that in the book that comes with it.
 
> Seems that would be equal to a car that will only go 40 MPH after it
> gets say 30,000 miles on it and is warrentied for 50,000.
 
This article backs up your feelings.
 
Apple Deserves What It Gets From This Battery Fiasco
<https://lonesysadmin.net/2017/12/29/apple-deserves-gets-battery-fiasco/>
Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com>: Dec 30 04:45PM -0800

Tim R wrote:
 
---------------
 
 
 
> That makes sense. I have 3 cables that don't work, but an iPhone earbud does. The cable in use upstairs also worked, so maybe there's just enough variation from plug to plug.
 
** Iphone earbuds use FOUR way mini-plugs.
 
You vision impaired?
 
 
.... Phil
Tim R <timothy42b@aol.com>: Dec 30 07:16PM -0800

On Saturday, December 30, 2017 at 7:45:46 PM UTC-5, Phil Allison wrote:
 
> > That makes sense. I have 3 cables that don't work, but an iPhone earbud does. The cable in use upstairs also worked, so maybe there's just enough variation from plug to plug.
 
> ** Iphone earbuds use FOUR way mini-plugs.
 
Yes, I'm aware of that. The 4th contact handles a volume control for the iPhone. Apparently the three standard contacts are close enough to a 3 way to work in most miniplug jacks. I could be wrong.
 
> You vision impaired?
 
Yes, of course, I'm 65 with bifocals and cataracts. I insert the plug mostly by feel, and I need a headlamp working on dark surfaces.
 
 
> .... Phil
 
FWIW, I did some research on how to install Win 7 again, and it appears to be near impossible without the product key. That's long since lost, which is too bad.
 
Basically at this point I don't know for sure if it's a jack problem or a software problem. I tried plugging in my Fasttrack, a USB to audio converter, and it recognized it as fasttrack, but never gave me the option to output sound.
Michael A Terrell <mike.terrell@earthlink.net>: Dec 31 05:12AM -0500

Tim R wrote:
 
> FWIW, I did some research on how to install Win 7 again, and it appears to be near impossible without the product key. That's long since lost, which is too bad.
 
That's why I've been buying off lease Dell Optiplex 780 computers.
Shove a Dell restore disk into the drive, and let it take care of
everything, including installing the corporate key for XP or Win 7.
 
I just bought another on Ebay for $43.71 delivered. It has 4GB of
RAM, a 250 GB HD and a DVD-ROM. It will be used to control a Vinyl
cutter for a local company that makes canopies for art shows. I got
several XP restore disks for free, and I paid about $10 for the Dell Win
7 disk.
Fox's Mercantile <jdangus@att.net>: Dec 31 05:27AM -0600

On 12/30/17 9:16 PM, Tim R wrote:
> Yes, of course, I'm 65 with bifocals and cataracts.
 
Welcome to my world brother.
 
> FWIW, I did some research on how to install Win 7 again, and it
> appears to be near impossible without the product key.
 
That's not true, just go ahead and install. Then it will bitch
constantly about being a potentially counterfeit copy.
 
When you get tired of it bitching at you and refusing to update,
go here:
<https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Windows-7-Professional-Pro-64-bit-Product-Activation-key-Digital-Delivery/530077756>
I buy from Scotts758. Absolutely painless and simple.
<https://www.bonanza.com/booths/scotts758>
 
For $9, it beats wasting any time going through that pile of
"I'll just put this here where it's safe and I can find it again."
 
 
 
--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
WA6FWi
http:foxsmercantile.com
Ralph Mowery <rmowery28146@earthlink.net>: Dec 31 09:59AM -0500

In article <9a-dnemn6bgIVNXHnZ2dnUU7-KXNnZ2d@giganews.com>,
jdangus@att.net says...
> <https://www.bonanza.com/booths/scotts758>
 
> For $9, it beats wasting any time going through that pile of
> "I'll just put this here where it's safe and I can find it again."
 
I just bought a new Dell laptop and wanted to run an older version of
Microsoft Office. It loaded but would not run the email part. I was
told when I bought the computer from Office Depot that my old copy would
not run under Win 10, The version was office XP (corporate license) and
I had it running on several other windows 10 computers. Sure enough the
mail part would not run. I got on ebay and looked around and found many
versions of Office 2016 keys for about $ 10 or less. Thinking it may be
a scam I thought what the heck, its lsee than $ 10 to find out.
Downloaded the program and they sent me the key in about 2 or 3 hours.
It could have been quicker but I did not check for it for that long. It
has been working just fine for a month and no doubt it will keep on
running. That money beat me trying to find out why the Win XP or 2007
version would not run correctly on the laptop version of win 10.
Terry Schwartz <tschw10117@aol.com>: Dec 30 06:18PM -0800

Return it? Those are give-aways. Toss it.
M Philbrook <jamie_ka1lpa@charter.net>: Dec 30 02:05PM -0500

In article <p2341o$jdb$1@dont-email.me>, sofaslug@invalid.invalid
says...
 
> Back in the 70s, I had someone steal one of those cheap Krako FM
> converters (for an AM radio) out of my Volkswagen bus. Whoever stole it
> left a dollar bill in it's place.
 
You most likely made money on the deal!
 
Years ago I had one of my cars broken into it had a CB, nice SWR meter.
Wasn't worth much to me but I did report it, cops come over and took a
look inside of my car. comes out with a wallet in his hands, "This
yours" ? Nope not mine.. The crook must of got his paints caught on the
seat and it slit just under the seat a little. I never noticed it
because I wasn't looking there.
 
it turned out to be my neighbor !
 
Jamie
"pfjw@aol.com" <pfjw@aol.com>: Dec 30 01:36PM -0800

On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 8:18:38 PM UTC-5, Michael Terrell wrote:

> That's almost as good as wrapping up a box of dog crap, and leaving
> it out as a trap. :)
 
True story: The last place we lived in before leaving NYC was on 190th Street not far from the Cloisters. Our neighbor had a very elderly German Shepherd, and she was quite elderly herself. One sad day, her dog died, and the only place she could take it (in Manhattan) was down towards Battery Park. So, she bundled the dog into a large suitcase - as people were wont to own back in the 1960s. Getting into the subway at 190th Street (A-line) is not so hard as there is an elevator from the street to the platform (well before ADA). However, at South Ferry, not so much. She faced these steps with an 80 pound dog. What should happen, but a "Nice Young Man" offered to carry it up the steps for her. And, promptly ran off with it.
 
There is justice in this world.
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

1 Response to Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 10 updates in 4 topics

March 20, 2020 at 12:10 AM

Thank you for your guidance and support.You’re the sweetest! Thank you for everything you do!

Post a Comment