Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 10 updates in 2 topics

jurb6006@gmail.com: Aug 12 12:08PM -0700

>"just wondering how taking an GE to someone else to set-up is going to help me when I can't hear fuck all above 12kHz! "
 
There is very little content in music up at 12 KHz, My hearing starts rolling off at about 4KHz and is non-existent at about 14 KHz.
 
Equalizers are not made to act as bass and treble controls. in 90 % of the installations you'll rub across setting the 60 to boost and the 250 to cut will make the bass sound better. Not sure why but many rooms seem to vibrate around 200 Hz or so. Maybe it's the distance between wall studs at the drywall or something. Putting speakers in corners exacerbates the problem.
 
A treble control on an amp might be too "squaky" and a cut on the 2,500 or 3,500 Hz control might help and not obscure that sweet timbre as much.
 
With a 10 band you can do even more. I can make some elchepo "Ohifio" (an event where they dumped a bunch of kunk nearly as cheap as it was worth) and make them sound almost like good Infinitys. (really fucking good speakers)
 
One kinda cool thing came out of EQ, certain models of TV sets. With the use of throat mics, body mics and whatever, the frequency responses is FUBAR. So TCE (RCA and GE) took the midrange and via crossovers inverted the phas of the midrange. The goldenrod or whatever on it said people found the speech to be more intelligible that way. The overall response was largely flat except for the null points, the -3 dB or whatever and they were at about 400 and 3,000 Hz, in that ballpark.
 
Probably a good idea too, I have tried to equalize some of the TV shows and it still sounds like "wok wok wook wok erk". i am talking 2 ten bands with ranges of +/- 10 dB and 12 db. What is 22 dB, about a factor of 100 or so ? Still didn't do it, those "resonances" are there no matter what and they completely obfuscate the overtones necessary to intelligibility. And it is NOT ME. If it was then how come I can hear just fine on old episodes of Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Star Trek ?
 
As far as I am concerned, the pursuit of flat response is over. I want it to sound how I like it, I care not what the recording engineer wanted. And I can state what i want.
 
if I have flat response to start with I want that bottom octave boosted heavily, 30 Hz and such. Then the top octave, give me that timbre, in fact I am having a hard time finding good enough tweeters to overcome my hearing loss. I have actually heard my amp collide with its slew rate.
tabbypurr@gmail.com: Aug 12 03:12PM -0700


> As far as I am concerned, the pursuit of flat response is over. I want it to sound how I like it, I care not what the recording engineer wanted. And I can state what i want.
 
I suspect some future popular distribution format will be multitrack so the end user can change the balance of the instruments to their liking.
Cursitor Doom <curd@notformail.com>: Aug 12 10:15PM

On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 12:08:22 -0700, jurb6006 wrote:
 
> matter what and they completely obfuscate the overtones necessary to
> intelligibility. And it is NOT ME. If it was then how come I can hear
> just fine on old episodes of Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Star Trek ?
 
A lot of people find that. They did some research and put it down to the
fact that the actors in days gone by had much better diction than today's
upstarts. Possibly as a result of paying their dues in theatres. I find
it especially noticeable in English films so perhaps you'd notice it most
in American movies?
 
> I have actually heard my amp collide with its slew rate.
 
You have something decidedly out of whack somewhere!
 
 
 
 
 
--
This message may be freely reproduced without limit or charge only via
the Usenet protocol. Reproduction in whole or part through other
protocols, whether for profit or not, is conditional upon a charge of
GBP10.00 per reproduction. Publication in this manner via non-Usenet
protocols constitutes acceptance of this condition.
tabbypurr@gmail.com: Aug 12 03:25PM -0700

On Sunday, 12 August 2018 23:15:10 UTC+1, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> in American movies?
 
> > I have actually heard my amp collide with its slew rate.
 
> You have something decidedly out of whack somewhere!
 
A lot of user audio devices are just terrible quality. With tiny speakers they use lots of bass boost & resonance, and the result is often a muddy mess.
 
 
NT
jurb6006@gmail.com: Aug 13 08:58AM -0700

>"I suspect some future popular distribution format will be multitrack so the end user can change the balance of the instruments to their liking. "
 
What we really need are movies you can turn the damn music off.
jurb6006@gmail.com: Aug 13 09:04AM -0700

>"A lot of people find that. They did some research and put it down to the
fact that the actors in days gone by had much better diction than today's
upstarts. Possibly as a result of paying their dues in theatres. "
 
That may be but I think it is mostly the mics' frequency response. They had throat mics that I am sure needed a tom on equalization, now what, they are wireless and clipped to the belt ?
 
>"> I have actually heard my amp collide with its slew rate.
 
You have something decidedly out of whack somewhere! "
 
 
Yup, turned up loud with about 17 dB of boost at about 10 KHz and up, and material with heavy high frequency content.
Peabody <waybackNO584SPAM44@yahoo.com>: Aug 12 11:04PM -0500

I have a Sharp dumb TV, model LC-32LB150U. I'm looking at cutting the cord,
and need to figure out what local channels I can get. With an indoor
antenna, I've found that the antenna pointing direction makes a big
difference in which channels show up on auto-scan, so I'm unable to get all
the potentially receivable channels in the channel list at one time. The
TV's menu offers no option to add channels manually. I can delete channels,
but not add them.
 
So I wondered if there's a service mode or menu, and if so, how do I get to
it, and is it likely to allow me to add channels manually?
 
If that doesn't work, can anyone suggest how to solve this problem? I was
thinking an antenna rotator would solve the actual reception problem, but
all the channels have to be in the auto-detect list somehow. I would rather
avoid two antennas, although that might work temporarily to get the list
right.
Sjouke Burry <burrynulnulfour@ppllaanneett.nnll>: Aug 13 07:40AM +0200

On 13-8-2018 6:04, Peabody wrote:
> all the channels have to be in the auto-detect list somehow. I would rather
> avoid two antennas, although that might work temporarily to get the list
> right.
 
Get a circular antenna.
Adrian Caspersz <email@here.invalid>: Aug 13 12:18PM +0100

On 13/08/18 05:04, Peabody wrote:
> but not add them.
 
> So I wondered if there's a service mode or menu, and if so, how do I get to
> it, and is it likely to allow me to add channels manually?
 
Silly omission of Sharp. I don't think I've seen sets here (UK) with
manual digital tuning missing.
 
> all the channels have to be in the auto-detect list somehow. I would rather
> avoid two antennas, although that might work temporarily to get the list
> right.
 
An outboard receiver box with manual tuning? Or switch between the two,
using a antenna splitter to supply both.
 
--
Adrian C
Fox's Mercantile <jdangus@att.net>: Aug 13 06:57AM -0500

On 8/12/18 11:04 PM, Peabody wrote:
> If that doesn't work, can anyone suggest how to solve this problem?
 
An omnidirectional antenna.
<https://antennadeals.com/HD8000.html>
 
 
 
--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
WA6FWi
http:foxsmercantile.com
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 10 updates in 2 topics"

Post a Comment