Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 14 updates in 3 topics

root <NoEMail@home.org>: Aug 28 03:39PM

The sata ports on a 10 year old HP IPIEL-LA3 fail.
The machine has been acting a server for several years
and the sata ports fail a short time after power up.
 
My question is whether that failure could be due
to a failure of the heat sink function of a
chip.
 
There is a small heat sink near the sata connections
on the MB. This heat sink is held in contact with
the underlying chip by a Z shaped spring that is
held down to the MB by two inverted U shaped loops
soldered to the MB. The heat sink is finned
aluminum about 1.3 inches on a side and .4 inches
high.
 
Could a breakdown of the thermal contact between
an old heat sink and the chip cause overheating
of the chip.
 
If so, how do I release the Z spring from the
U shaped mounts? I have tried bending one end
with long nosed pliers but I run the risk
of slipping off and breaking stuff on the MB.
 
Thanks for any info.
John Robertson <spam@flippers.com>: Aug 27 11:21AM -0700

> had it for a few years. I plugged it in when i got it and it lights up,
> eye tube works, but I never put it to use. I'd tell you the model number
> of mine, but I will have to dig it out of my storage shed.
 
It is an IT-28. Has a Power Factor test which is useful for testing
power supply caps.
 
I can make a PDF of my manual if you are desperate...however I expect it
is online somewhere.
 
John :-#)#
 
--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
John's Jukes Ltd.
MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."
Cursitor Doom <curd@notformail.com>: Aug 27 07:30PM

On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 12:30:26 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:
 
 
> I still believe in just replacing the 'bad' ones. Sometimes more harm
> can be done to the equipment by doing the reforming process if done
> wrong.
 
I don't think you've read the thread right through. These are NOS caps
out of circuit. I've now reformed them all and they pass all the
applicable tests, so I'll be installing them in place of the dead ones
later this week.
 
 
 
 
 
--
This message may be freely reproduced without limit or charge only via
the Usenet protocol. Reproduction in whole or part through other
protocols, whether for profit or not, is conditional upon a charge of
GBP10.00 per reproduction. Publication in this manner via non-Usenet
protocols constitutes acceptance of this condition.
Ralph Mowery <rmowery28146@earthlink.net>: Aug 27 03:46PM -0400

In article <pm1jgs$gmf$1@dont-email.me>, curd@notformail.com says...
> out of circuit. I've now reformed them all and they pass all the
> applicable tests, so I'll be installing them in place of the dead ones
> later this week.
 
It may be worth while on the NOS caps. I may even be tempted to give
that a try.
Terry Schwartz <tschw10117@aol.com>: Aug 27 12:49PM -0700

Why you would put 40 year old caps into ANYTHING is beyond me. Reformed or not. They may "pass the tests" now but they will not hold up long term. Spend the $25 and get new parts. Unless, that is, you like doing things twice. Feel like risking that PCB again in 2 years?
"jfeng@my-deja.com" <jfeng@my-deja.com>: Aug 27 02:02PM -0700

On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 12:50:00 PM UTC-7, Terry Schwartz wrote:
> ...Spend the $25 and get new parts...
Here in Silicon Valley, it would be a lot less. 4700uF/35V and 5600uF/42V are both available at retail for under US$1 each.
 
The diagnosis is probably correct, and the OP is committed to replacing the original caps, but I do not remember seeing a claim that this actually fixed the problem. At this price and given the concern over the long term reliability of the junque-box parts, I would tack-solder these caps to verify that this does indeed fix the problem, but I would use the new parts for the "permanent" repair. Using reformed parts would be OK if the faulty ones were unobtanium.
Fox's Mercantile <jdangus@att.net>: Aug 27 08:56PM -0500

On 8/27/18 8:41 AM, John-Del wrote:
> I won't watch that video because I KNOW Jeff is right: reforming
> is a fool's game.
 
Like John, I do this shit for a living, and I refuse to waste my
time, or reputation, with any "crack pot" repairs.
 
 
 
--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
WA6FWi
http:foxsmercantile.com
Cursitor Doom <curd@notformail.com>: Aug 28 09:15AM

On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 20:56:41 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
 
>> fool's game.
 
> Like John, I do this shit for a living, and I refuse to waste my time,
> or reputation, with any "crack pot" repairs.
 
If you're a professional repair tech, I can see why you would only use
new parts. But I'm just a ham; a hobbyist. And we hams have been
successfully reforming electros for many decades without any adverse
outcomes. Loads of info on the net it you care to look for it, but I'm
guessing since you're a pro you'll turn your nose up at the very thought!
 
 
 
 
 
--
This message may be freely reproduced without limit or charge only via
the Usenet protocol. Reproduction in whole or part through other
protocols, whether for profit or not, is conditional upon a charge of
GBP10.00 per reproduction. Publication in this manner via non-Usenet
protocols constitutes acceptance of this condition.
"pfjw@aol.com" <peterwieck33@gmail.com>: Aug 28 03:58AM -0700

And we hams have been
successfully reforming electros for many decades without any adverse
outcomes.
 
That have been reported. Hams are a parsimonious lot. And, like many of us, they will refrain from publicizing silly mistakes.
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Fox's Mercantile <jdangus@att.net>: Aug 28 06:23AM -0500

On 8/28/18 4:15 AM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> without any adverse outcomes. Loads of info on the net it you
> care to look for it, but I'm guessing since you're a pro you'll
> turn your nose up at the very thought!
 
Hams are notoriously cheap.
And the internet is a cesspool of useless information.
 
I've been a licensed Ham for 50 years now.
You wouldn't believe some of the butchery I've encountered on
Ham radio gear. I have a phrase for it. Joe "Claw Hammer" Ham
has been here. Apparently having a ham license gives you the
ability to think you know more than any commercial engineer.
 
That being said, I've used old NOS capacitors for myself.
But I don't waste my time reforming them. They either work right
the first time they have power applied or they don't.
 
 
--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
WA6FWi
http:foxsmercantile.com
makolber@yahoo.com: Aug 28 06:43AM -0700

if there is room, just leave the old cap in place and wire a new one in parallel.
 
m
John Robertson <spam@flippers.com>: Aug 28 08:01AM -0700

> if there is room, just leave the old cap in place and wire a new one in parallel.
 
> m
 
That is only good advice if you first cut the old cap out of circuit.
Many capacitors fail by increasing their leakage or outright shorting out.
 
If the capacitor is suspect replace it.
 
John :-#(#
 
--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
John's Jukes Ltd.
MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."
Ralph Mowery <rmowery28146@earthlink.net>: Aug 28 11:07AM -0400

In article <RrWdnRKU77hVrRjGnZ2dnUU7-cfNnZ2d@giganews.com>,
jdangus@att.net says...
 
> That being said, I've used old NOS capacitors for myself.
> But I don't waste my time reforming them. They either work right
> the first time they have power applied or they don't.
 
I understand that # 40 wire was made by 2 hams arguing over a penny.
 
I have only been a ham for 45 years. I like you have seen many things
cobbled together. Have even done some of that myself. Not that I
thought I was a better engineer,but because I only had so much money to
do things. Those were projects for myself.
 
If I am doing things for myself, I may do anything to get equipment
going. If I were doing things for others, it would be with good parts.
Like the time at work an outside repair person came in to repair a 3
phase motor drive unit. He found 2 out of 3 diodes bad. I told him to
replace the 3 rd one. It may have been under stress or not. He said
they were $ 200 each. Told him it costs us $ 1000 or more per hour
while that equipment was down, so $ 200 is good insurance it will not
quit in a short time.
That 3 rd diode would probably last , but why take a chance at those
rates.
matj001@gmail.com: Aug 28 07:58AM -0700

So bro can you let us know how did u fixed the unit, I have the same issue on the same module. Does 2.2PF 2kv SMD CAP really exist? I can only find the 50v type.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 14 updates in 3 topics"

Post a Comment