Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 12 updates in 4 topics

Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid>: Sep 25 10:28AM +0100

OGER <OGER@freenut.com> wrote:
 
<snip>
 
>I am trying to build a garage door monitor.
>My new garage door opener does not have a lock function like my previous
>so I need a way to monitor the door state in my house,
 
I must be missing something. Why do you need the PIR to achieve that
objective?
 
In my burglar alarm wiring loop I included an improvised microswitch
toggled by the state of the garage door.
 
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
"jfeng@my-deja.com" <jfeng@my-deja.com>: Sep 25 07:22AM -0700

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 6:07:58 PM UTC-7, OGER wrote:
> I am trying to build a garage door monitor.
> My new garage door opener does not have a lock function like my previous
> so I need a way to monitor the door state in my house,
I got a garage door monitor from Sears. It has a device (powered by a CR2032 battery) that attaches to the door, and it transmits a signal when the door is open (mercury switch?). A receiver in the house has red and green LEDs, and it shows red when the door is up and green when the door is down.
 
I think it cost me about US$40, but a quick Google search shows them from Chamberlain and LiftMaster for under $100. Since Sears and OSH are both going out of business, you might be able to find one at a clearance price.
 
Of course, this approach deprives you of the joy of building one for yourself.
Neon John <no@never.com>: Sep 24 04:51PM -0400

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 16:20:48 -0400, Phil Hobbs
 
>Such as an IED, maybe?
 
>Cheers
 
>Phil Hobbs
 
On my website is the design and firmware for a very small countdown
timer that could indeed be misused as a detonator. I designed it as
an option board for the Roy induction heater and have now adapted it
to time the heat on our Annie, the brass annealer for people who
reload ammo.
 
I refuse to be a fear-monger and refuse to punish legitimate users by
taking down the design because of a theoretical misuse scenario.
 
Proposing such a scenario as if it's actually probable is beyond the
pale. After all, ordinary burglar alarm PIR detector, microswitches,
vibration sensor (another burglar alarm device) and any number of
devices can be misused.
 
If you were joking, it wasn't funny. Enough fear mongering and you
end up with something like the Communist Republic of California where
you're not free to do much of anything other than smoke a blunt or be
queer.
 
On a lighter note, I'm kicked around this question in my mind for many
years. "What would it take to make a totally non-disarmable bomb?"
Since I'm now retired, maybe I'll take a go at it. Not with actual
explosives, of course. Maybe a big red LED that spells out "Boom".
Hmmm, maybe I could get a competition going, similar to battlebots.
 
Hmmmm,
John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address
"pfjw@aol.com" <peterwieck33@gmail.com>: Sep 25 05:30AM -0700

On Monday, September 24, 2018 at 4:52:07 PM UTC-4, Neon John wrote:
 
"What would it take to make a totally non-disarmable bomb?"
 
There are very nearly an infinity of ways, none of which are terribly complex. The issue with bombs is that they are often overly complex - and it is the complexity that becomes their weakness. If you know how to 'stand' an egg, you are already half-way there.
 
Now, if you want a non-disarmable bomb that will also go boom only and exactly when asked (unless a disarm attempt is made), that is a different problem.
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
John Robertson <spam@flippers.com>: Sep 24 10:00AM -0700

> https://john-h.smugmug.com/Kutztown-XXXIX-Video-Slideshow/i-Tk6zmR7/A
 
> Peter Wieck
> Melrose Park, PA
 
Hmm, this slideshow is not working on my MAC in either Firefox or
Safari...I just see the first photo, but the arrow keys are unresponsive.
 
Looking forward to the pictures!
 
John :-#(#
 
--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
John's Jukes Ltd.
MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>: Sep 24 10:23AM -0700

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 10:00:53 -0700, John Robertson <spam@flippers.com>
wrote:
 
>Safari...I just see the first photo, but the arrow keys are unresponsive.
>Looking forward to the pictures!
>John :-#(#
 
It's not your Mac. My PC does the same thing (using Firefox or
Chrome).
 
While waiting to get the slide show thing fixed, he has some other
slides and videos of previous shows on his web pile:
<https://john-h.smugmug.com>
The most recent is near the bottom of the page which is where I found
this 2018(?) photo gallery:
<https://john-h.smugmug.com/Kutztown-XXXIX-Radio-Juggernaut/>
 
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
"pfjw@aol.com" <peterwieck33@gmail.com>: Sep 24 11:30AM -0700

On Monday, September 24, 2018 at 1:01:02 PM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:
> > https://john-h.smugmug.com/Kutztown-XXXIX-Video-Slideshow/i-Tk6zmR7/A
 
> > Peter Wieck
> > Melrose Park, PA
 
At the bottom of the opening screen picture is an icon of a movie camera. Click on that.
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
John Robertson <spam@flippers.com>: Sep 24 12:11PM -0700


> At the bottom of the opening screen picture is an icon of a movie camera. Click on that.
 
> Peter Wieck
> Melrose Park, PA
 
Working now, thanks!
 
John :-#)#
 
--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
John's Jukes Ltd.
MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."
bruce2bowser@gmail.com: Sep 25 03:20AM -0700


> Watch this space for my usual list of freebies and such. I am culling the herd, and this is your opportunity to take advantage.
 
> Peter Wieck
> Melrose Park, PA
 
I'm sure 39 would be easier on the eyes than the flashier XXXIX.
John-Del <ohger1s@gmail.com>: Sep 24 11:03AM -0700

Running condition unknown except for the following: a long hard wired AC cord was added to supplement the side AC receptacle which is still there, but the AC cord has no plug (looks like it was wire-nutted into an even longer cord). Two of the three knobs are missing. It's never been stored in a wet or unheated area.
 
The push pull 6V6s and the rectifier are RCA all dated late 1957 and I believe them to be original to the amp. The 12AU7 and EF86 are missing, so it's untested.
 
Other than the two missing signal tubes and knobs, it's complete.
 
I will box it, but won't ship it. If you want it, you must issue a pick up at my business location.
 
Email me at: delstv--AT-- A O L.c o m
philo <philo@privacy.net>: Sep 24 04:22PM -0500

On 09/24/2018 01:03 PM, John-Del wrote:
 
> I will box it, but won't ship it. If you want it, you must issue a pick up at my business location.
 
> Email me at: delstv--AT-- A O L.c o m
 
Don't want it but I think you should mention your city
John-Del <ohger1s@gmail.com>: Sep 24 02:53PM -0700

On Monday, September 24, 2018 at 5:22:58 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
 
> Don't want it but I think you should mention your city.
 
 
Good point. Shipped from Waterbury, CT 06706-2002.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 12 updates in 4 topics"

Post a Comment