Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 11 updates in 4 topics

Kellerman <"kellerman(snot)2007"@gmail.com>: Nov 01 10:46AM

On 27/10/2018 17:36, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> Kester 44 solder and MG Chemicals 835 RA flux.
 
Yep - that looks like it would do the job.
 
Despite modern regulations only Lead solder and activated flux works
properly on that sort of re-work/repair job.
 
About 15 years ago I had to source a fancy VOC free flux for a rework
job. The particular stuff I used is no longer available but it was very
good. Some variety of Multicore glop.
 
I notice that the new replacements only have a 6 or 12 month shelf life
and are quite costly in small (syringe) quantities.
 
All my stock of solder is now old (15 years +) and the flux is
ineffective. Looks like I'll have to find a syringe of some goo for my
next job.
 
--
Blow my nose to email me
Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net>: Nov 01 10:06AM -0400

On 11/01/2018 06:46 AM, Kellerman wrote:
 
> All my stock of solder is now old (15 years +) and the flux is
> ineffective. Looks like I'll have to find a syringe of some goo for my
> next job.
 
You can get RA flux in quarts and gallons from both MG and Kester. I
recommend the MG stuff because it seems to be stable, whereas the Kester
stuff crystallizes out after a few years.
 
Cheers
 
Phil Hobbs
 
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
 
http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
George51@nospam.com: Nov 01 01:43AM -0500

Back in the 1960s I was given several heavy tube amplifier chassis. All
of them worked after replacing a few tubes. After all these years, I
still have them. They were very well made, The transformers were not
shaped like most, but were in square cans with rounded corners.
 
Another unusual thing, was the three part filter capacitors were plug
in, with an octal base (same as an octal tube). Back then, I had a
little hum so I found a store that had identical replacements.
 
The tubes were all octal based. Four 6L6 outputs, Two 5U4 recifiers, and
at least 4 more octal tubes. I believe at least one was a 6SN7
(something like that). I dont have them handy to look at right now....
 
Anyhow, they had awesome sound and were loud. The audio output
transformers were huge.
 
However, there was no brand name or identification of any sort on them.
 
50 years later I am still trying to ID them...
 
I think they were from jukeboxes. But that is just a guess....
 
I have tried to google different words but not found any matching
pictures. I did note that the Rock-Ola chassis all seem to have those
square transformers though. My guess is that they were made in the late
1940s or 1950s.
 
Does anyone know of any website that has photos of antique jukebox
chassis, or another means to ID them?
Eremita Analogico <LEDITApaolo.carrer@DALNASOlibero.it>: Nov 01 09:23AM +0100

Hi,
The output transformers seem to be Acrosound, very good transformers.
Try looking for Williamson amplifiers schemes, depending on the valves
used there could be a similar scheme.
Do you sell one of these chassis? Also without tubes.
 
 
 
Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com>: Nov 01 02:21AM -0700

> 1940s or 1950s.
 
> Does anyone know of any website that has photos of antique jukebox
> chassis, or another means to ID them?
 
** Google Images have lots of pics of " Rockola amplifiers" in various states of repair. Most have square boxed transformers, 6L6G and other octal tubes and electro dynamic speakers.
 
But none had plug in electros on octal sockets
 
 
 
.... Phil
"pfjw@aol.com" <peterwieck33@gmail.com>: Nov 01 04:10AM -0700

Back in the day, RCA made theater amplifiers as you describe, up to and including the potted transformers. These things were massive and usually rack-mounted.
 
The logos were enameled medallions, so if they were removed, you would have no other indication of the maker.
 
https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images3/1/0410/17/vintage-rca-type-mi-4288-mono-tube_1_b74613f650ed1caef9dc8c6b2b59c8f9.jpg
 
When theaters started replacing tube systems with solid-state and multi-channel systems, many thousands of these amps got trashed, and a vanishing few found their way into other hands.
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
John-Del <ohger1s@gmail.com>: Nov 01 06:28AM -0700

> 1940s or 1950s.
 
> Does anyone know of any website that has photos of antique jukebox
> chassis, or another means to ID them?
 
I like the advice that they are either jukebox amps or theater amps. Since you described them as physically large, I think a theater amplifier would make sense. The fact that the electros were easily replaceable seem to indicate that they are specifically built to be serviced quickly and on-site, which again favors both jukebox or theater amp.
 
We have a resident jukebox expert here (John Roberson?) who might be able to add some thoughts.
 
In the meantime, can you post pictures of these amps to a hosting site?
etpm@whidbey.com: Oct 31 04:41PM -0700

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 09:36:29 -0700 (PDT), John-Del <ohger1s@gmail.com>
wrote:
 
 
>The 8 footers I have power up almost immediately, but perhaps the controller IC in OP's tubes delay the output until the input filter is fully charged by design. Since LEDs don't put out any significant light until they reach close to their run voltage, maybe his controller just ramps up the string slower than the one in my 8 foot tubes.
 
>The fact that all his examples do the same tells me it's just the way it's designed and not a failure.
 
>And once again, he DISCONNECTED the ballast and wired them directly.
I just replaced some incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs and they have a
delay like the OP describes. The new LED bulbs are the dimmable type.
I wondered if the delay is coming from a cap being charged through a
resistor. They also have an off delay similar to an incandescent. Not
exactly the same but they do dim until almost completey off and then
abruptly turn off all the way.
Eric
genecarter2@juno.com: Oct 31 10:22AM -0700

I was playing a tape and it got jammed. When I pulled it out, a part came loose and now I can't find where it goes. Can anyone help with this part location ? It's in tact, not broken.
genecarter2@juno.com: Oct 31 10:26AM -0700

> I was playing a tape and it got jammed. When I pulled it out, a part came loose and now I can't find where it goes. Can anyone help with this part location ? It's in tact, not broken.
 
Part says TE4-2 POM
dansabrservices@yahoo.com: Oct 31 12:54PM -0700

On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 1:26:52 PM UTC-4, a C K O Tele-Radio Channel wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 1:22:05 PM UTC-4, genec...@juno.com wrote:
> > I was playing a tape and it got jammed. When I pulled it out, a part came loose and now I can't find where it goes. Can anyone help with this part location ? It's in tact, not broken.
 
> Part says TE4-2 POM
 
Any chance you can post a picture of the part? That would help a bit.
 
Dan
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 11 updates in 4 topics"

Post a Comment