Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 8 updates in 3 topics

Ralph Mowery <rmowery28146@earthlink.net>: Dec 08 01:13PM -0500

In article <zoJOD.721878$SN2.241326@fx38.iad>, user@example.net says...
> with tweezers and a fine tipped iron freehand, pirate-style this time.
 
> I should probably invest in a good microscope, never needed corrective
> glasses so far in life but check back at 45.
 
Glad you got it going.
 
I could see close up very well and not so great at a distance.
Somewhere around 40 my close up started going, so bifocals for me. Now
I see better at a distance,but not so good up close at 68.
 
I messed around with several inexpensive devices and never could get
much out of them for the PC and SMD work. The ones that used a computer
monitor did not work because I could not get the hand/eye to co-ordinate
looking out and working down. Seems like most magnifying glasses had to
be too close to the work to do any soldering.
 
Bought an Amscope 4000z or could be a 400z for around $ 200 shipped and
it works very well for me. There is about 6 ot 8 inches of distance
from the bottom lense to the work piece. I am sure there are lots
better ones out there ,but for a hobby and not business, it is fine for
me.
bitrex <user@example.net>: Dec 08 06:01PM -0500

On 12/08/2018 01:13 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> from the bottom lense to the work piece. I am sure there are lots
> better ones out there ,but for a hobby and not business, it is fine for
> me.
 
I found that a cell phone with a "magnifying glass" app that uses the
rear? front? whatever camera it is that isn't on the display side, to
project a magnified image to display, and a set of these:
 
<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTWLF2Q?pf_rd_p=c2945051-950f-485c-b4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=G6E38TPW6N236D8RSCKH>
 
Makes a pretty decent expedient "microscope." Clamp the work piece in
the lower grips horizontally, and then most phones are lightweight and
thin enough nowadays that the upper grips will clamp it above, then peer
into the display. The camera LED makes a nice flashlight when left on
continually (though really drinks the battery.)
bitrex <user@example.net>: Dec 08 06:15PM -0500

On 12/08/2018 06:01 PM, bitrex wrote:
> thin enough nowadays that the upper grips will clamp it above, then peer
> into the display. The camera LED makes a nice flashlight when left on
> continually (though really drinks the battery.)
 
sort of like this (though the grippers are reversed here from what's
ideal, this was an early experiment ;)
 
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4b2on7yy1n9u14/Photo%20Dec%2008%2C%202%2019%2007%20PM.jpg?dl=0>
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>: Dec 08 08:43PM -0800

On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 13:13:26 -0500, Ralph Mowery
>monitor did not work because I could not get the hand/eye to co-ordinate
>looking out and working down. Seems like most magnifying glasses had to
>be too close to the work to do any soldering.
 
Question: When typing on a computer keyboard, do you watch your hands
or watch the characters on the screen?
 
The reason I ask is that I've noticed that those who watch their hands
tend to have problems looking through a microscope or magnifier while
working. I do fairly well, but had some initial problems trying to
become accustomed to a HUD (heads up display). It still takes me
about 10 minutes to adjust to the HUD, and about 30 mins to recover
(i.e. not stumble or smash into things) after returning to normal
vision. I have similar problems working under a microscope, but the
adjustment and recovery times are much less.
 
Incidentally, if you have an Amscope microscope camera, their free
Windoze v3.7 software works quite nicely:
<https://www.amscope.com/software-download>
However, it won't recognize anything else besides Amscope hardware.
 
>from the bottom lense to the work piece. I am sure there are lots
>better ones out there ,but for a hobby and not business, it is fine for
>me.
 
This one? The SE400-Z seems to be quite popular in the repair biz:
<https://www.amscope.com/10x-20x-led-binocular-stereo-microscope-boom-arm-with-gooseneck-light.html>
9 inch (229 mm) working distance. Nice.
 
Various videos featuring the Amscope SE400-Z
<https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Amscope+SE400-z>
 
Also, I have a few of these borescope or endoscope cameras in 8mm:
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/8mm-WIFI-Endoscope-Borescope-Inspection-camera-Scope-Tube-Waterproof-for-Iphone/192130852197>
I use them mostly for looking down holes, tubing, and hard to see
places. The 8mm flavor has 640x480 native resolution, which is much
better than the lower resolution found in the smaller diameters. There
are also version with a "stiff" cable, which I've found quite useful.
However, the apps all suck, the construction marginal, the Hi-Fi and
BT versions are buggy, but for the price, all this can be tolerated.
I thought it might be useful for soldering, with the camera strapped
to my hand, but the focal length and depth of field (focusing range)
were both unsuitable.
 
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com>: Dec 08 09:15PM -0800

On 12/08/2018 03:15 PM, bitrex wrote:
>> rear? front? whatever camera it is that isn't on the display side, to
>> project a magnified image to display, and a set of these:
 
>> <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTWLF2Q?pf_rd_p=c2945051-950f-485c-b4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=G6E38TPW6N236D8RSCKH>
 
They wanted $10 for one of those at a yard sale, but I didn't want it
that much :-(
 
>> thin enough nowadays that the upper grips will clamp it above, then peer
>> into the display. The camera LED makes a nice flashlight when left on
>> continually (though really drinks the battery.)
 
If you can hold a jeweler's loupe over the camera with two fingers while
you operate the phone/camera with whatever other fingers are available,
you can get a pretty good shot.
 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/v5PwuC9ti6yMrqGf8
 
Left is a 14x ophthalmologist's magnifying lens. Right is a 8x
jeweler's loupe. Motorola Mogo G5plus.
 
The ophthoglasses are really expensive. This one was $125 used
somewhere on line. A used 20D is $250. I got it for a buck at a yard sale.
 
It really gripes me that the camera is too far from the edge to permit
use of those cute little clip-on lenses you can get on ebay. I had some
for a previous camera, and you really need to use a tripod with the
macro lens and the field of view is really tiny.
 
 
--
Cheers, Bev
"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short.
But scream it at them in Klingon, because life is also
terrifying and confusing." -- D. Moore
Ralph Mowery <rmowery28146@earthlink.net>: Dec 09 10:14AM -0500

In article <b25p0etqdeqtcs9o6nv171blrhmooqa23p@4ax.com>,
jeffl@cruzio.com says...
> to my hand, but the focal length and depth of field (focusing range)
> were both unsuitable.
 
> --
 
For the most part I look at the screen and not my hands or the keyboard.
I am not that much of a touch typist. I can do the letters and a few
common punctuations,but have to look for some of the other symbles. I
never look at the mouse once I find it and get it in my hand.
 
Yes, it is the Amscope SE400Z. I think the last letter tells what
lenses come with it. Mine came with a 10x and 20x lense. I almost
always use the 10x lense. I bought a 5x but found the one i got did
not seem to have a large a field of view as the 10x.
 
I don't have any problem at all looking through the scope and working.
AT 68 I do not seem to have any major problems with the shakes.
 
I think that scope is about the best in the price range for me as I am
just doing SMD and such as a hobby. Just as I bout a $ 60 or so hot air
rework station from China that has the hot air wand and soldering
pencil. If I was using the equipment to make money,I would get something
better.
 
There is a fellow on youtube (Louis Rossman) that works on Apple
computers and at one time he was pushing that scope for the price. I
think he uses the same brand now,but with a different modle. For one
thing he usse the camera a lot for his speeches on youtube, I don't
have any use for the camera. His newer scopes have a way of mounting
the camera where he can still see through both lenses and a 3 rd lense
for the camera.
Ralph Mowery <rmowery28146@earthlink.net>: Dec 08 01:18PM -0500

In article <3b79c1d4-e2f1-4c21-aa2b-6dce04c4a468@googlegroups.com>,
tabbypurr@gmail.com says...
 
> All domestic mains current loads are balanced, ie live & neutral carry the same & opposite current, resulting in nearly zero magnetic field. Pacemakers, like any life-critical medical equipment, are designed & tested to meet harsh real-world conditions & keep going.
 
You should have seen the problem some jack leg caused where I worked. A
3 phase 480 volt 20 amp circuit. The power came in one electrical box
and going out of that to another box about 3 feet away. For some reason
the person doing the wiring ran 2 legs through one piece of connecting
conduit and the other wire through another piece of conduit. Sort of
made it into a transformer with a shorted turn. Really heated things
up.
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>: Dec 08 09:55AM -0800

On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 09:33:03 -0600, Fox's Mercantile <jdangus@att.net>
wrote:
 
>replacement.
>I'd forgotten what a cluster fuck it was dealing with Windows
>98.
 
I'd also forgotten, intentionally. No thanks for reminding me of past
nightmares and for raising the dead.
 
>Windows 98 Second Edition and upgraded the USB drivers, nice,
>I can mount an external USB hard drive now.
>I also installed the drivers for an HP LaserJet 1200 printer
 
When your HP Laserjunk 1200 decides to feed multiple pages ending in a
paper jam, there are kits that claim to solve the problem.
<https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=laserjet+1200+jam+kit>
 
>Windows XP on it, then do the HP Infiniium XP upgrade.
><https://docplayer.net/6691001-Infiniium-upgrade-and-recovery-guide.html>
>Yes, I'm having too much fun with this.
 
I've had a bit too much entertainment dealing with Windoze XP and SSD
drives. XP does not have a built in TRIM function. Without TRIM, the
SSD does too much writing and can limit the life of the drive. I
didn't have much luck with various workarounds. I assume that HP did
something in the Infiniium scope series to stretch the life of the
SSD, which might not be present if you replace the OS:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+xp+trim>
Opinions seem to vary as to using XP on the scope:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=infiniium+oscilloscope+ssd+trim>
 
>Here's a fun YouTube video of a guy working on a 54835A on
>the workbench. His has Windows 95 as the operating system.
><https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbKfZ4WWt4k>
 
Nice scope. Good luck.
 
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 8 updates in 3 topics"

Post a Comment