Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 8 updates in 2 topics

Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com>: Mar 29 01:12PM -0700

M Philbrook wrote:
 
-------------------
 
> They both work for emitter and detector althrough they are slighly
> narrow beamed.
 
> In the sun I can get a full 1 Volt out of them with out issues.
 
** I have a 5mm IR LED soldered to the back of an panel mount RCA socket, so it can be linked to the input of my scope via an RCA to BNC lead.
 
What ever for?
 
It's to test the light output from IR remote controls that need servicing.
 
Once I am sure the IR transmitting LED in the remote is OK - I switch on a nearby portable AM radio ( tuned off station) and rely on the buzzing sound to verify operation of all push buttons.
 
FYI: the very fast rising edges of the current pulses in IR transmitting LED cause a tad of RFI in the AM band.
 
 
 
.... Phil
John Robertson <spam@flippers.com>: Mar 29 04:09PM -0700

On 2020/03/29 1:12 p.m., Phil Allison wrote:
 
> FYI: the very fast rising edges of the current pulses in IR transmitting LED cause a tad of RFI in the AM band.
 
> ..... Phil
 
I just use a cell phone camera. Not the main camera, the one on the
screen face - it detects IR and shows flashes or steady whitish light
depending on the LED source.
 
Older digital phones (w/camera) and cameras show IR response, but lens
filters 'improved' over time.
 
John :-#)#
Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com>: Mar 29 05:27PM -0700

John Robertson wrote:
 
-----------------------
 
 
> > ..... Phil
 
> I just use a cell phone camera.
 
** Not near as informative as using an IR LED linked to a scope - cos
 
you get to see the waveform and can judge light output level.
 
An AM radio is also way better as you keep looking at the keys while testing and simply listen for consistent operation.

 
 
..... Phil
Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com>: Mar 29 06:35PM -0700

Phil Allison wrote:
 
-------------------
 
 
> ** I have a 5mm IR LED soldered to the back of an panel mount RCA socket, so it can be linked to the input of my scope via an RCA to BNC lead.
 
 
** Forgot - you need a load resistor across the LED of about 22kohms.
 
Or else there is little or no waveform to observe.
 
 
..... Phil
John Robertson <spam@flippers.com>: Mar 29 10:36PM -0700

On 2020/03/29 5:27 p.m., Phil Allison wrote:
 
> ...... Phil
 
Fair enough, I just use it for evidence of operation in service
applications, you are using it more for design and testing.
 
I will try your way out - with my storage scope I suspect I can copy the
code for transmitters that aren't standard. Not to say there are not
other methods to accomplish the same goal. Perhaps someone has an
Aurduino capture process already - I should look for that...
 
And, of course, some clever person has done just that:
 
https://www.hackster.io/techmirtz/finding-the-ir-codes-of-any-ir-remote-using-arduino-c7a852
 
Still scopes are fun to play with! I've been restoring an ancient
(1970s) DeVry model 34 jsut for the hell of it. It never worked because
the person who assembled it made many mistakes...but it is fine now.
 
Currently I am fixing a Tek 2230 with bad XY behaviour.
 
John :-#)#
Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com>: Mar 29 10:56PM -0700

John Robertson wrote:
 
-----------------------
Phil Allison wrote:
 
 
> Fair enough, I just use it for evidence of operation in service
> applications, you are using it more for design and testing.
 
** For some reason, I often get neighbor's and friend's remotes to restore to operation when keys have gone dead etc. Plus the odd IR headphone unit.
 
The two ideas I posted make that job VERY easy and I never charge.
 
 
> I will try your way out - with my storage scope I suspect I can copy the
> code for transmitters that aren't standard.
 

** I know there are two common carrier frequencies and god knows how many codes. Lost remotes a a real PITA.
 
 
 
> Still scopes are fun to play with! I've been restoring an ancient
> (1970s) DeVry model 34 jsut for the hell of it. It never worked because
> the person who assembled it made many mistakes...but it is fine now.
 
** Nice work - analogue scopes are COOL to work on.
 
But you need one to fix one ......
 
I have 6:
 
 
1. A 2MHz, 5 tube 3 inch I built as a teenager.
 
2. A 15MHz, 2 inch NLS Miniscope.
 
3. A 50MHz, BWD dual trace.
 
4. A 35MHz, BWD dual trace as back up.
 
5. A Riglol DS1052E for special jobs.
 
6. A 10MHz, 3 inch single trace Chinese.
 
 
BWD is an Aussie brand, now defunct.
 
 
> Currently I am fixing a Tek 2230 with bad XY behaviour.
 
 
** Needs a good talking to for that !
 
 
 
 
..... Phil
amdx <nojunk@knology.net>: Mar 30 06:05AM -0500

On 3/29/2020 3:12 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
 
> FYI: the very fast rising edges of the current pulses in IR transmitting LED cause a tad of RFI in the AM band.
 
> .... Phil
 
I did a similar thing 30 years ago when I did VCR repair. In a small
plastic box I drilled a 1/2" hole, in the box I put a VCR end sensor in
series with a resistor and 9v battery. I added two terminals to connect
my scope to. I pointed the remote at the 1/2" hole and could see the
pulse train from the remote. The problem with remotes back then was
usually the output LED solder connection.
Mikek
Lucifer <LuciferMorningstar@bigpond.com>: Mar 30 09:11PM +1100

On 28 Mar 2020 06:51:12 -0700, Winfield Hill <winfieldhill@yahoo.com>
wrote:
 
>>> control unit's volume button was activated.
 
> Too bad, actually quite a few amplifiers had that
> feature, my wife's parents had one in Florida.
 
My current amp has that feature.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 8 updates in 2 topics"

Post a Comment