Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Jeff Urban <jurb6006@gmail.com>: Jul 30 12:04AM -0700

I am aware of that. If they use a single triode for a splitter the cathode voltage should be what, a third ? In a hifi amp, if they got a full blown Williamson and I mean with the cathode taps they are going to need a hell of alot of voltage on it. I am not sure the old ECC83 an do it. Most full Williamsons with the cathode taps have another stage, sometimes with a bootstrap to get the drive they need. But that type of amp is rare. Mac made one or two, my Uncle built a pair of monoblocks using Chicago BO-15 transformers. The BO-14s do not have cathode taps. Those were actually popular transformers back then, but the BO-15 was really hard to get.
 
Tubes, I tell you what, those amps my Uncle built sounded better than any tube amps I ever heard till then or since.
Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com>: Jul 30 02:04AM -0700

Jeff Urban wrote:
 
==================
 
 
> I am aware of that. If they use a single triode for a splitter the cathode voltage should be what, a third ? In a hifi amp, if they got a full blown Williamson and I mean with the cathode taps they are going to need a hell of alot of voltage on it. I am not sure the old ECC83 an do it. Most full Williamsons with the cathode taps have another stage, sometimes with a bootstrap to get the drive they need. But that type of amp is rare.
 
** I have rarely seen a total red herring chased down a rabbit hole so thoroughly before.
 
Quite something.
 
...... Phil
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic"

Post a Comment