Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

"ohg...@gmail.com" <ohger1s@gmail.com>: Jan 31 01:18PM -0800

On Saturday, January 29, 2022 at 9:22:54 AM UTC-5, Drake Snow wrote:
> about the size of a pin. I'm guessing that's for SMD. Other than the
> original tip, the other four have never been used. What about solder,
> thickness and alloy as well as iron temperature setting? Thanks.
 
Depends on what you're removing. If I'm removing a typical smd resistor or cap, I use the *large* knife edge tip. Using this, I can heat both ends at the same time. This also has a finer edge if you use the tip to clean up any sloppy soldering. As far as temp, it depends on the board. You would be better off preheating the board with a heat gun (hot, not scorched) and using a bit of liquid flux which reduces the time and temp you need to get the solder to flow. I have very fine solder but I generally use .032 for everything I solder (about 3/4 of my work is smd). I use 63/47 but remove all the original solder before soldering.
 
The best thing to do is find a smashed flat TV on the side of the road and develop your skills on those boards. You'll find the green boards (multi layer) require more heat than the brown phenolic power supply board does. Again, preheat and liquid flux.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic"

Post a Comment