Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Sam Seagate <saseag44419@yahoo.com>: Dec 27 10:28AM -0500

I recently took advantage of post-Christmas sales and purchased several
strings of warm white C7 size LED lights of 25 in each string. My
intention is to brighten the window candles we currently have.
Initially, when I designed the candles last year, I used a single light
from each string in place of the original candle bulb. I used a DC
"wall wort" 12 volt power supply to power each one with a dropping
resistor to reduce the current in each bulb to around the 17 mA level,
the same level I measured in the 120 V string before I cut the bulbs out
to use them. However, this left the bulbs too dim and the wife didn't
like the dimness. Then, a few days ago, since there's enough room
inside the bulb envelope, I doubled up two bulbs in series and adjusted
the current going in to be around 40 mA. Using the two series bulbs in
each candle envelope brightened the result considerably, but now I'm
concerned that there may be too much current flowing through them.
Although I didn't measure it, I believe the current in series bulbs
remains the same (40mA) but the voltage divides(?). This may be too
much for the bulbs.
 
Today, in an experiment, I decided to wire four bulbs in parallel and
set the input current at 10 mA. Measurements were 2.7 VDC @ 10 mA going
into the parallel combination. Four bulbs inside these small envelopes
begins to get difficult, but still not impossible.
 
My goal is to have the longest life possible out of these candles and
the maximum brightness which is the reason I've dropped the input
current and/or used more than a single bulb for each candle.
 
I have several questions:
 
1) If I use either the four bulbs in parallel driven at 10 mA and/or
the two bulbs in series at 40 mA input, is the resulting output
brightness going to be the same for the bulb combinations?
 
2) Which is the best method to use for preserving the longest LED life?
 
Thanks in advance,
Sam
N_Cook <diverse@tcp.co.uk>: Dec 27 04:08PM

On 27/12/2014 15:28, Sam Seagate wrote:
 
> 2) Which is the best method to use for preserving the longest LED life?
 
> Thanks in advance,
> Sam
 
2) Once you've decided on your current , add a polyswitch per path. To
make a bit more failsafe add some heat insulation around each polyswitch
and reduce the thickness of insulation if they falsely cutout. If you
don't want to go overboard with current limiting circuitry
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic"

Post a Comment