Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 12 updates in 6 topics

"Gareth Magennis" <soundserviceleeds@outlook.com>: Mar 31 09:36PM +0100

wrote in message
news:fdb95475-9c6f-4db5-bd89-a31948044974@googlegroups.com...
 
On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 5:35:00 PM UTC-4, Gareth Magennis wrote:
 
> I usually brush off what I can before resorting to using my lungs and
> blowing off the remaining inaccessible stuff.
> Trouble is this always ends up with some in my lungs and nasal passages.
 
I dunno - VW for years drove their window washing system from the spare tire
(anyone else remember those days?). It was always a memory contest to make
sure to refill the tire, or be stranded by the side of the road as the air
lines often leaked. Tires were not-so-good in those days as well.
 
If all you need is that one lungful, consider a small portable tankless
compressor ($15 at your nearest auto-supply) and a refillable aerosol can.
No more than 100psi in most cases, but it would do what you lungs can do.
For that matter, you could fill such a can from the tire, a double-schraeder
fill fitting is cheap enough to fabricate.
 
Betcha if you do this, you _will_ wish for more...
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
 
 
 
Yes, no doubt I will.
 
I took 4 Power Amplifiers round to the nearby garage today to blow out using
their airline - we are more friends than business accomplices, and they will
happily let me do that for free.
But I have to load the amps in my car and drive it round there.
 
And yes, it's great to have a huge tank and massive pressure if you have the
space to keep it in.
Worked a treat, so it did.
 
 
I discussed this subject with them, and they pretty much said the same
thing - No, you need big pressure, you need big tank, small tank empties
quickly.
(They are Russian)
Also, big tank with high pressure, if explodes, you damage your building.
Big problem, very dangerous.
 
My workshop is actually now in a Music Shop. A big tank exploding in there
is not even worth thinking about.
A noisy compressor is not ideal either, and I don't have the space to store
it anyway, being as Retail Space in a city centre is rather expensive.
 
 
 
 
Gareth.
"Gareth Magennis" <soundserviceleeds@outlook.com>: Mar 31 11:06PM +0100

I bought this after someone posted a link on this thread:
 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/FIT-TOOLS-Aluminum-Pneumatic-Pressure/dp/B00YF7Q1TI?ie=UTF8&ref_=pe_385721_126318711_TE_3p_dp_1
 
 
 
 
As it's aluminium (not aluminum) it should stand up to the water content
of compressed air sources.
 
I doubt very much it will blow out a Power Amp on it's own, but I have
plenty other uses for an air duster I don't have to keep buying in can form,
and it might just mean I don't have to always cart a big heavy amp to my
local garage to use their mighty airline, as much fun as it is.
 
 
 
Gareth.
thekmanrocks@gmail.com: Apr 01 03:04AM -0700

Phil Allison wrote: "Gareth Magennis wrote:
 
 
> I only want to blow the dust out of a power amplifier occasionally.
> I can buy a can of air do do that, but it is expensive.
 
** You are labouring under a misconception.
 
So called "air duster" is not air, but liquefied gas - normally a fluorocarbon.
 
This allows a small can to hold a useful amount of gas, about 200 litres. A bottle of compressed air would be hold only a few percent of that amount with rapidly diminishing pressure as it is used - IOW almost useless.
 
You need a continuous supply of compressed air for your tasks.
 
The usual way to clean a fluff & dust clogged power amps is with a vacuum cleaner and a soft brush. A damp cloth gets most of what is left over.
 
In cases of sticky contamination or carbon soot from a fire only disassembly and washing in warm water and detergent works.
 
 
.... Phil "
 
And I have seen places like Staples charge up
to US$11(!!) per can for em, ostensibly to
price them out of the range of local teenagers
who love to inhale from them in their spare time
(which could be used doing homework, shoveling
snow or mowing neighbors lawns, soup kitchens,
being active church, or school athletics or 1,000
other useful things). !
thekmanrocks@gmail.com: Apr 01 03:11AM -0700

G-Mac:
 
I bought mine at the local NAPA. Red, about 22"L
by 11" high, holds max. 125PSI, enough for replacing
air in our cars during fall & winter when they lose
pressure to cold temps. The garage renting the
space to one side lets me fill it 1-2x per year, and
their machine dutifully gets it up to 110-115lbs PSI.
(that last 10psi takes the longest, naturally!).
 
 
Most gas station courtesy hoses around here
cannot put more than 80psi into it, so they remain
as backup sources. Someday I will stop this tank
nonsense and just buy a small electric compressor.
Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com>: Apr 01 04:07AM -0700

> to US$11(!!) per can for em, ostensibly to
> price them out of the range of local teenagers
> who love to inhale from them in their spare time
 
 
** A 400mL "duster" costs almost A$30 from my local parts supplier.
 
The store next door will sell you 700mL of Jim Beam for A$39.
 
 
 
 
.... Phil
Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com>: Apr 01 04:13AM -0700

Gareth Magennis wrote:
 
> plenty other uses for an air duster I don't have to keep buying in can form,
> and it might just mean I don't have to always cart a big heavy amp to my
> local garage to use their mighty airline, as much fun as it is.
 
** A small scuba diving tank would do the job, you can get 3L ones.
 
They hold air pressures up to 3000psi or about 200 atmospheres - so you get 600L of air.
 
Only problem is recharging one.
 
 
.... Phil
JW <none@dev.null>: Apr 01 11:21AM -0400

On Fri, 1 Apr 2016 04:13:00 -0700 (PDT) Phil Allison
<pallison49@gmail.com> wrote in Message id:
 
>** A small scuba diving tank would do the job, you can get 3L ones.
 
> They hold air pressures up to 3000psi or about 200 atmospheres - so you get 600L of air.
 
> Only problem is recharging one.
 
Welding supply house should be able to do that.
http://igoswelding.com/gases/3609608
 
This place lists UHP Air
David Lesher <wb8foz@panix.com>: Apr 01 02:30PM

>n Electric could have built anything that sophisticated into this system in=
> 1975 to detect anything like a kiss off, (I'm guessing) from the CO. Thank=
>s, Lenny
 
An abandoned call...
 
When the far end abandons the call, that CO tells your local CO.
It in turns drops [not reverses] the DC loop current for [ISTM]
450 ms. That was sufficient to drop the HOLD relay on a 1A2 KSU
with 400D cards.
 
This caused grief later when Caller-ID arrived. On a 1AESS,
it would announce such with a short DC glitch as it disabled
incoming audio, poked in a BEEEEEP, and reconnected the
audio. While the drop was far shorter, some cards would
drop off hold. Newer 400G & 400H cards would not.
 
 
--
A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz@nrk.com
& no one will talk to a host that's close..........................
Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433
is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433
thekmanrocks@gmail.com: Apr 01 03:58AM -0700

Michael Terrell wrote: " Only two students in my school system got every question right on
that part of the aptitude tests. Myself, and a girl who like to work on
cars. I also got the top scores in math and science. I only got a 90 for
English. I took every math, science and shop class that they could fit
into my schedule, each year. Several years later I tested out of an "
 
 
I envy people like you - seriously! It shows
how influences(chemical and otherwise) during
and after conception, and after birth and during
childhood - chemical and otherwise - can have
an effect on a child and later an adult.
 
"Only got a 90 for english"??? I was lucky to
get 90s in THAT - and 60s to 70s in all my other
subjects. Math? They had to make up a grade
just so I wouldn't have trouble later on getting
in to college. My single biggest regret in LIFE -
not being able to even read numbers, let alone
add, subtract, multiply, or do anything Greek
with them(!) And I trace it all back to some
activities my expectant folks were engaged in
back in the late '60s, and some choice names
my Dad coined me post-toddler-hood.
krw <krw@nowhere.com>: Mar 31 08:10PM -0400

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 04:20:59 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
>> works, but I haven't tried that yet.
 
> How were the new caps stored? If it is where they can adsorb
>moisture, you can damage them with an iron that is too hot.
 
I haven't had any problems with cracking but I used to have problems
with end caps falling off. I haven't seen the issue for some time,
though perhaps it was a problem with the manufacturer. Our purchasing
group prefers Murata, so that's what I use (GRM series).
Cydrome Leader <presence@MUNGEpanix.com>: Mar 31 08:58PM


> In the earlier ones, I think the SRC (sine resonance choke) saved alot of flybacks from overload. The SRC was there to increase the efficiency of the HV rectifiers.
 
> Talk of these Sonys brings back a memory. I was working on a stock 26" console. (you know a toilet seart manufacturer made those cabinets, the only one could meet the specs, and like three guys could sit on top of one and you can still roll it across a thickly carpeted floor) I was pulling the control unit from the front and somehow caught the CRT board and broke the neck.
 
> I thought ih shit, there goes a couple hundred bucks, but that ain't how it is. Under warranty all you sent back was the neck of the CRT. They said to write it up as "unable to get good convergence". I almost had to laugh, with the neck broken like that, damn right I can't get good convergence. They even paid me to change it ! Well after all Sony paid them.
 
Hahaha.
Cydrome Leader <presence@MUNGEpanix.com>: Mar 31 04:48PM

>> the DC lines, or the speaker lines, fuses introduce distortion and
>> should not be used. This is electronics 101.
 
> Silver-link fuses using an eutectic formula add negligible resistance within their ratings. Nor are they cheap. As you well know, silver is the closest thing to a super-conductor at any reasonable operating temperature as exists in nature, much better than copper (or gold), and so such fuses ought to be considered.
 
powerline expulsion fuses use silver wire as the element. I was told
nothing is as reliable during a factory tour.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 12 updates in 6 topics"

Post a Comment