Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 13 updates in 4 topics

frank <frank@invalid.net>: Jul 28 07:51AM

Hi all,
another repair, another need: does anyone have the manual (user or whatever)
of the digelec 824 (E)EPROM programmer? I could do without schematic, but
I'd need at least to know how it's supposed to work to test and all.
Even a PC program for it would do I think.
A google search mostly shows dead links.
Thanks in advance
Frank IZ8DWF
JC <Chipbee40_SpamNo@yahoo.com>: Jul 28 10:40AM -0400

On 7/28/2016 3:51 AM, frank wrote:
> A google search mostly shows dead links.
> Thanks in advance
> Frank IZ8DWF
 
You probably found the Atari page discussing this and posting a link to
the manual (expired) but you might be able to contact one of the posters
on there, he shows active in the group still.
 
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/140787-burning-roms-to-eeproms/page-2
 
JC
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>: Jul 27 03:24PM -0700

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 21:32:44 +0000 (UTC), Aardvarks
 
>This is a good point to annualize costs.
>Saving $1,200 a year for ten years is a serious tool cache!
 
No need to go beyond 1 year. The idea is to have a common cost
reference so that you can better compare various methods of payment.
$100/month doesn't seem like much, until you annualize the costs.
 
>That makes sense. Over the years, on a.i.w, you have joked that you could
>break in to many home broadband routers, simply because people don't secure
>them properly.
 
It's not a joke. Most scripted router attacks include a list of well
known login and password combinations. The manufacturer default
passwords are always included. Few manufacturers force the user to
change the default password. So much for my "secure by default"
campaign.

>Good for you that you can communicate well with Brett. I guess he doesn't
>insult you as much as he insults less knowledgeable people. :)
 
He's been very nice and polite to me when I call. Of course, that was
many years ago and I haven't had a good reason to call recently, which
might explain why I don't have a problem with Brett.
 
>The Comcast & satellite customers don't get that "personal" connection with
>the proprietors! :)
 
The do with me. How many customers would bother asking Comcast or the
bird people about their broken kitchen appliances, home entertainment
boxes, or phone systems? Last week, I did a service call where I
spend about an hour on the computers, and another hour programming the
various TV/hi-fi/satellite/dvr/media-player remote controls. Now,
that's what I call a personal connection.
 
>I bleached and sandpapered my fingerprint when I went for a license.
>Heh heh ... it was the wrong thumb!
>I was sore for a week!
 
I would be angry for much longer than a week. Fingerprints are
digitized, scanned for patterns, and classified so that they can be
easily searched and located. The fingerprints must pass a sanity
check or you get to redo the whole ordeal from the beginning. That's
what happened to me the last time I went for a drivers license exam. I
had to go back to the fingerprint window once or twice (I forgot
which) until the computah was happy.
 
>lots of things except shoelaces! [Parachute line sucks at long hiking boot
>laces - you have to rub Elmers glue on the slippery line just to get some
>friction from the dried residue - ask me how I know.]
 
Yech. Go thee unto thy local hardware store, and get some "liquid
tape" from the electrical section. Something like this:
<http://www.hobbyhangar.co.nz/images/liquid%20tape.jpg>
If you just slop it onto the parachute shrouds, you'll make a mess and
it won't work. I had to dilute it in some kind of solvent (I forgot
what I used). Paint it onto the parachute shrouds and quickly wipe
off the excess. The rubber ends up between the strand, which should
help convert the parachute shrouds into something it was never
intended to do.
 
>surplus store if you ever want it. I never used it! You can have it. It has
>a big aluminum D ring sewn to the middle of the harness for safety
>tethering.
 
We moved and installed the dishes a few months ago:
<http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/dish-move-project/index.html>
<http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/dish-new-install-project/index.html>
The plan is now set in concrete, literally. The big 3 meter dish is
strong and flat enough that I can just climb up with a ladder and work
standing on the dish. No need to climb anything or use a harness. The
current problem is that both LNBF's crap out when they get hot. One
recovers when shaded by a cardboard box. The other does not. We have
2 generations of LNBF's that use DRO (dielectric resonant oscillators)
which are responsible for the temperature drift. These were replaced
by yesterday with PLL (phase lock loop) type LNBF's, which didn't work
at all. The problem was traced to the DC voltage supplied by the
stone age digital audio receivers, which are set to a single output
voltage and know nothing about switching between vertical and
horizontal polarization. Looks like I get to build a power supply,
switch, injector, RF isolator, volt/amp monitor, flashing lights, etc
panel.
 

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>: Jul 27 03:45PM -0700

> what happened to me the last time I went for a drivers license exam. I
> had to go back to the fingerprint window once or twice (I forgot
> which) until the computah was happy.
 
Wait until "Live Scan" hits the DMV. That involves fingers and thumbs
of both hands and palm prints. Currently "Live Scan" is required for
all sorts of stuff from criminal background checks to various
professional licences from nurse/RN, EMS/EMT, teachers and a whole
bunch more, with an expanding list of trades and professions requiring
that sort of clearance.
<https://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints>
 
--
Regards,
 
Savageduck
"Ian Field" <gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com>: Jul 27 06:57PM +0100

<dansabrservices@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:f1fcce65-c8f1-425a-8c58-f6c5b4bc3eba@googlegroups.com...
> sure if Avira was the problem or it just exercised code that showed the
> problem. YMMV
> Dan
 
After having used Avira; the AVG installer failed so I had to continue using
Avira.
 
It looks like I'll have to cleanse the boot HDD soon - hopefully I can re
install AVG again after that.
"Ian Field" <gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com>: Jul 27 07:03PM +0100

"Trevor Wilson" <trevor@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au> wrote in message
news:dvq9j3Fj146U1@mid.individual.net...
> HDD was on it's last legs and I lost everything. I've since re-jigged the
> system with the OS on the SSD and everything else is on one of those
> premium HDDs.
 
There's a small stack of HDDs next to the PC - I can't remember for certain
whether the original got swapped out, but I think it did.
 
The boot disk is only that - everything else is on other drives.
 
WLM and the program files folder default to C:\ so I have to back up email
stuff and a major crash means I have to re install all the apps.
 
To a large extent it makes flaky drives and contaminated system easier to
tell apart.
"Ian Field" <gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com>: Jul 27 07:07PM +0100

"isw" <isw@witzend.com> wrote in message
news:isw-B3F018.20242426072016@news-roam.garlic.com...
>> the install disk .
 
> If the caps are an issue, why wouldn't it have affected the Linux
> install too?
 
The only thing I used Linux for; was to overwrite the tangled wreckage W10
left all over the HDD.
 
All the crap from M$ is pushing me ever closer to actually using Linux when
I have to do that to recover the drive.
"Ian Field" <gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com>: Jul 27 07:11PM +0100

"Wayne Chirnside" <wc@faux.com> wrote in message
news:wA1mz.13725$E07.854@fx07.iad...
 
>> Do you want to get on with work or play games?
 
> I started with Windows 3.1 -DOS 5 and played around with Slackware,
> Knoppix then moved to a matured Mint.
 
The Mint distro I used to clean the W10 wreckage off the HDD, required an
internet connection - I need something I can practice on that will install
on my isolated PC.
Wayne Chirnside <faux@notthere.com>: Jul 27 06:45PM

On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 19:11:07 +0100, Ian Field wrote:
 
 
> The Mint distro I used to clean the W10 wreckage off the HDD, required
> an internet connection - I need something I can practice on that will
> install on my isolated PC.
 
It WILL install without an internet connect.
An internet connection is merely preferred.
"Ian Field" <gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com>: Jul 27 09:29PM +0100

"Wayne Chirnside" <faux@notthere.com> wrote in message
news:oj7mz.29219$7L2.10690@fx19.iad...
"Ian Field" <gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com>: Jul 27 09:33PM +0100

"Wayne Chirnside" <faux@notthere.com> wrote in message
news:oj7mz.29219$7L2.10690@fx19.iad...
>> install on my isolated PC.
 
> It WILL install without an internet connect.
> An internet connection is merely preferred.
 
I assumed a virus problem and pulled the power jack out of the router during
install - Mint refused to proceed until I plugged it back in.
 
The system requirements bit was very pictorial - the box that said;
"internet connection" was greyed out until I powered the router up.
N_Cook <diverse@tcp.co.uk>: Jul 27 05:55PM +0100

Heated up the pins and engraver vibrated , while on the tester, and no
wavering or failure. So resoldered the pins and will try back in the amp
instead of SS rect.
Another thing I've never seen , one of the ECC83 valve bases is only
held on by one pop-rivet, the other rivet bulb is held in the valve base
ring, pulled thru the chassis hole, not been knocked, just normal valve
estraction force was enough
"pfjw@aol.com" <pfjw@aol.com>: Jul 27 11:11AM -0700

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 10:19:33 AM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:
> pf...@aol.com wrote:
 
> > Been doing this repair since 1978...
 
> ** Which is long before Pb free solder or Chinese and Russian made tubes became the norm - so completely irrelevant.
 
Phil:
 
SINCE - that means: Frequently since I started seriously in the hobby. And this also includes Chinese, Eastern Euro and Russian tubes. Some of the cheaper Chinese octals have solid-point pins, so there is no way to introduce flux or solder within them without removing the entire base. In that case, heating the pin is the lowest risk expedient.
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 13 updates in 4 topics"

Post a Comment