Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 6 topics

oldschool@tubes.com: May 27 12:55PM -0400

Although I used someone's frequency counter back around the 1970s, I
never owned one. From what I recall, back then, there was a BNC
connector on the unit, where test leads connected and were used to
determine the frequency within a radio stage, or used to check the
output from a signal generator.
 
I'm looking on Ebay and seeing some costly ones selling for $100 and up,
which have lots of buttons and connectors. -OR- seeing some that are
listed to go from 1 CPS to 70 or 80 MHZ, which tells me that they can
show audio frequencies, and up to the 70 or 80 MHZ limit, which means
they will work for AM radio, many Ham bands, CB radio, but *NOT* FM
radio.
 
Then what caught my eye were these inexpensive handheld ones, such as:
http://tinyurl.com/y84hun67
 
However, these do NOT have BNC connectors. Just an antenna. (No test
lead connector), So, obviously, they can not read audio freqs, and can
not be used to check the stage in a radio, but should probably pickup
the output from a signal generator if the sig gen test leads are held
near the antenna.
 
However, this device (above URL) only covers 50 MHZ to 2.4 GHZ. That
means it's worthless for AM radio, CB radio, and many lower Ham bands.
(In my case, this would be pretty useless, since I mostly work on radios
that are AM FM CB or SWR.
 
Ideally, something that covered 1CPS to 110 MHZ would be best suited for
my needs, but I cant find anything like that, at least not in the price
range of $50 or less. (which is what I am willing to pay for something I
wont get real much use from).
 
My antique Eico 320 Signal Gen only goes a little over 100 MHZ, so once
again, the example URL I posted would not be real helpful.
 
So, I am pretty confused. What's better, an antenna or test leads?
 
Do they actually make and sell LOW PRICED Freq Counters that go from 1
CPS to 110 MHZ or so?
 
Then again, it almost appears that to get full coverage of all
Frequencies, a person needs to buy TWO Freq counters, since UHF TV
covers the 470 to 806 MHZ. But once again, what good is a Freq Counter
with no test leads (just an antenna) for use on television?
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>: May 27 11:35AM -0700

On Sat, 27 May 2017 12:55:02 -0400, oldschool@tubes.com wrote:
 
Look for something that has a built in prescaler. Something like
this:
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-RF-Signal-Frequency-Counter-Cymometer-Tester-0-1-60MHz-20MHz-2400MHZ/172396798620>
The basic counter goes from 100KHz to 60MHz. The other ranges use a
prescaler to divide down the input frequency so that it ends up at
less than 60MHz and can be counted.
 
Or, maybe one of these variations:
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-6LED-1MHz-1000MHz-1GHz-RF-Signal-Frequency-Counter-Cymometer-Tester-G-/222009256193>
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/1MHz-1200MHz-RF-Frequency-Counter-Tester-Digital-LED-METER-Cymometer-f-Ham-Radio-/331915125484>
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-0-91-OLED-RF-1Hz-2-4GHz-Frequency-Counter-Meter-Cymometer-Tester-/172692754650>
 
You can also use a mixer to take a higher frequency signal, and mix it
down to something lower that the counter can handle. I have some HP
microwave counters that work like that.
 
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
mike <ham789@netzero.net>: May 27 11:52AM -0700

> Frequencies, a person needs to buy TWO Freq counters, since UHF TV
> covers the 470 to 806 MHZ. But once again, what good is a Freq Counter
> with no test leads (just an antenna) for use on television?
 
What good is a frequency counter WITH test leads for television.
Where are you gonna connect those leads and what's the signal level
there? And how do you measure channel 40 when channel 42 is 10x stronger.
 
You suffer from test equipment buyer's exaggeration.
"I dunno what I want so gimme EVERYTHING, and then some, for cheap."
 
Take a step back and decide what you need to measure that you didn't
need for the last 50 years.
 
I designed frequency counters for a living back in the day. I have more
than a few. I haven't turned one on in more than a decade, and here's
why...
 
FOR CHEAP COUNTERS:
They're inaccurate.
If you're setting a radio frequency, you want an ACCURATE counter.
Most other times, the accuracy is irrelevant. It's go/nogo.
The accuracy and stability of the timebase may be the most important
parameter.
What do you want to do?
 
They're insensitive.
You typically can't go probing around in equipment and learn anything.
A counter typically reads the biggest signal it hears.
You might find that everything reads 120Hz.
Probing around in a radio circuit may detune it.
What do you want to do?
 
I find an oscilloscope to be a more useful tool. You can read the frequency
right off the screen with sufficient precision for most troubleshooting
tasks.
And you can do it in the presence of noise that might render a counter
useless.
 
Expensive counters have a few bucks worth of counting stuff.
The majority of the expense is in the timebase and the front end
that helps you trigger on what you want to observe. All those
knobs are there for a reason.
 
If you need more accuracy, you probably need a LOT more accuracy.
 
Draw a frequency chart from 0 to 2.4 GHz. Put an arrow at every frequency
where you ever needed to measure a frequency and the specs of
the counter you'd have needed to do it.
Let that be your guide. You might decide that you still don't need
a counter that you can afford. ;-)
 
You can do audio with a cellphone app. Just be careful what you plug
into that microphone jack.
 
This seems to be closer to what you want.
EBAY ID 401196543325
If it has a removable antenna with signal and ground connections, you
can make test leads. Just be careful with DC or too much signal
breaking it.
Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net>: May 28 08:09AM +1000

On 28/05/17 04:35, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> The basic counter goes from 100KHz to 60MHz. The other ranges use a
> prescaler to divide down the input frequency so that it ends up at
> less than 60MHz and can be counted.
 
I have two of those. I bought the second because I thought I'd
broken the first, it performed so badly. They're as bad as each
other.
 
If you have a strong and stable signal, it can work ok, but
the input design is poor. The HF and the pre-scaler both
have dual-gate mosfets, but there's no gain control (automatic
or otherwise) and the inputs are paralleled. I've disconnected
the two inputs by cutting a track and soldered on a little bit
of RG-158 to an SMA connector for the high range.
 
I'd love it if Mike is willing to share some of his counter
front-end wisdom.
Michael Black <et472@ncf.ca>: May 27 07:24PM -0400

Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com>: May 27 06:25PM -0700

mike wrote:
 
> why...
 
> FOR CHEAP COUNTERS:
> They're inaccurate.
 
** Anything using a crystal time base will have good accuracy.
 
 
> What do you want to do?
 
> They're insensitive.
> You typically can't go probing around in equipment and learn anything.
 
** Yep, RF circuits are very load sensitive and you will need a FET probe to buffer the signal.
 
But any counter will read the carrier frequency of a transmitter, long as it has a few milliwatts of output.
 
Radio mics operating in the VHF and UHF bands can be read by placing them close to a short antenna attached to the BNC input.
 
Analogue mobile phones (remember them) would read from 5 yards away.
 
 
 
..... Phil
rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com>: May 27 09:41PM -0400

Michael Black wrote on 5/27/2017 7:24 PM:
> seems out of fashion now, so the prescalers are meant for other things, and
> offer a binary division, so bypassing it in the counter (and maybe adding an
> input stage) means the clock for the counter is "wrong".
 
I don't think the prescaler is the problem is it? The problem is the
inappropriate front end. If you design a decent front end and feed the
prescaler with that signal it should work at lower frequencies ok. It may
not have timing controls to let you measure below some 10s of Hz or so, but
is that really a problem? Or do the prescalers work in some way I'm not
familiar with so they just don't operate at lower frequencies?
 
--
 
Rick C
mike <ham789@netzero.net>: May 27 07:20PM -0700

On 5/27/2017 6:25 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
 
 
> ** Anything using a crystal time base will have good accuracy.
 
> ..... Phil
 
I don't expect anything I could say would change your mind.
We'll just have to disagree on that.
Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com>: May 27 07:58PM -0700

mike wrote:
 
---------------
 
 
> > ** Anything using a crystal time base will have good accuracy.
 
> I don't expect anything I could say would change your mind.
 
** Why I change my mind when what I posted is correct ??
 
 
> We'll just have to disagree on that.
 
 
** You must enjoy being wrong.
 
You have nothing that explains your strange opinion ?
 
 
 
 
.... Phil
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>: May 27 09:25PM -0700

On Sun, 28 May 2017 08:09:04 +1000, Clifford Heath
 
>I have two of those. I bought the second because I thought I'd
>broken the first, it performed so badly. They're as bad as each
>other.
 
Thanks. I was thinking of buying some of those. I should have known
as much of the low cost "modules" that I've purchased seem to have
deficiencies as a result of crude design or cost cutting exercises.
 
To clarify my my comments a little, I was not recommending the
purchase of any of the devices I pointed to on eBay. I meant them as
examples of devices that have prescalers, which was part of the OP's
rant on requiring multiple counters to cover the frequency range. My
comment "Something like this:" usually preceeds something that I
haven't worked with.
 
>or otherwise) and the inputs are paralleled. I've disconnected
>the two inputs by cutting a track and soldered on a little bit
>of RG-158 to an SMA connector for the high range.
 
I picked that particular example because it has a drawing of the PCB
showing i/o and controls:
<http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/hBYAAOSwAPVZGlOn/s-l1600.jpg>
It has two adjustments labelled "High channel sensitivity adjust"
which I guess would help with the tiggering. Do these controls work,
or were they deleted in yet another cost cutting exercise?
 
>I'd love it if Mike is willing to share some of his counter
>front-end wisdom.
 
The OP has not disclosed how he plans to use the counter. If it's a
bench instrument, that requires precision, I suggest any of the
numerous used HP counters available on eBay.
<https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=hp+universal+counter>
Especially the HP 5300 series:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=hp+5300+counter&tbm=isch>
I have accumulated a fair collection of these and find that used
counters are a far better deal than the eBay instruments, such as:
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-VC3165-Radio-Frequency-Counter-RF-Meter-0-01Hz-2-4GHz-K8M3/122448388056>
 
Incidentally, since the OP is into tubes, my favorite counter is an HP
5248M with genuine Nixie tubes. Middle right above the spectrum
analyzer:
<http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/home/slides/lab.html>
The pile of 4 plugins under the Glad bag box are the various mixer
type downconverters I previously mentioned. I also have an HP 5245L:
<https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/repair-of-hp-5245l-nixie-frequency-counter/?action=dlattach;attach=204375;image>
Cheap but scarce on eBay:
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Hewlett-Packard-5248L-Electronic-Counter-5254C-Frequency-Converter-15-3-0GHz-/182520538437>
 
 
 
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net>: May 28 04:13PM +1000

On 28/05/17 14:25, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> Thanks. I was thinking of buying some of those. I should have known
> as much of the low cost "modules" that I've purchased seem to have
> deficiencies as a result of crude design or cost cutting exercises.
 
It was developed by a good hobbyist who posted everything online.
 
I think that full schematics of slightly earlier versions are
available online. He uses a dual-gate MOSFET before the prescaler
and before the main counter, with the inputs paralleled. I think
that affects the sensitivity (though I don't have measurements)
so for my 2nd module, I cut a track to separate the input paths.
I might wind up adding an independent input amplifier with AGC,
or even a pot to adjust the 2nd gate bias on the MOSFETs for a
manual gain control. A little difficult though, as parts of the
circuit are underneath the LED displays, so I'd need to remove
those.
 
The main counter is a PIC.
oldschool@tubes.com: May 27 08:10PM -0400

Of all the stupid things . . . .
While looking at some online manuals, I downloaded a .PDF manual that's
upside down.....
 
What the hell am I supposed to do, stand on my head to read it?
 
I have the software to flip graphics, but I dont have the slightest clue
how to flip a PDF file.
 
Dont people check this stuff before they post it?
 
(No, I dont have a printer. I read everything on screen, so I have never
seen the need to waste paper or own a printer).
 
I guess I'll have to take this one to a print shop if I want to read it.
Jon Elson <elson@pico-systems.com>: May 27 08:22PM -0500


> (No, I dont have a printer. I read everything on screen, so I have never
> seen the need to waste paper or own a printer).
 
> I guess I'll have to take this one to a print shop if I want to read it.
I guess you can turn your monitor upside down!
 
Jon
thekmanrocks@gmail.com: May 27 06:27PM -0700

Not to spoon feed ya, but most
recent versions of Adobe Acrobat
reader should have a rotate
function. Ctrl+R, and equivalent
command on Macs.
rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com>: May 27 09:37PM -0400

> reader should have a rotate
> function. Ctrl+R, and equivalent
> command on Macs.
 
There is a reason why he likes tube equipment.
 
I had my oscilloscope open once to fix a problem and on a whim I decided to
swap the connections for the horizontal sweep. Don't know why, I just did.
Now I'm very used to it. If I were to want to share any photographs of
traces I would have to reverse the image for anyone else to look at... not
that it would be likely this is needed.
 
--
 
Rick C
analogdial <analogdial@mail.com>: May 28 03:43AM

> While looking at some online manuals, I downloaded a .PDF manual that's
> upside down.....
 
> What the hell am I supposed to do, stand on my head to read it?
 
Yes, that would work. The suggestion to turn your monitor upside down
is also good. If you have a mirror or two, you could flip the image
with them. Failing that, you could have your eyeballs surgically
inverted.
 
 
> I have the software to flip graphics, but I dont have the slightest clue
> how to flip a PDF file.
 
It's almost impossible on my PDF viewer. I can either drop a menu by
clicking on some stupid icon which might look something like a dog eared
piece of paper and then clicking on the words "rotate right" or "rotate
left". Why did they make it so obscure and why did they give me too
many choices? Probably programmed by damn kids who have no respect for
their elders, that's why.
 
Then, to add to the confusion, I can rotate images without the menu by
pressing on the Ctrl key and the right arrow key OR pressing on the Ctrl
key and the LEFT arrow key. Whew!!
 
 
> Dont people check this stuff before they post it?
 
What else would you expect with today's failing education system and the
"everyone gets a trophy" attitude? They're just raising kids to be
selfish and idiotic.
 
 
> (No, I dont have a printer. I read everything on screen, so I have never
> seen the need to waste paper or own a printer).
 
> I guess I'll have to take this one to a print shop if I want to read it.
 
That works, too.
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>: May 27 09:36PM -0700

>While looking at some online manuals, I downloaded a .PDF manual that's
>upside down.....
>What the hell am I supposed to do, stand on my head to read it?
 
Most PDF viewers will rotate pages. Older versions of Adobe Acrobat
Viewer will not. I use PDF-Xchange viewer and editor programs instead
of Acrobat:
<https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer>
How to rotate pages:
<http://help.tracker-software.com/pdfxe6/index.html?rotate-pages_ed.html>
 
You can also rotate documents online:
<https://www.pdfrotate.com>
Click on "Rotate Single Page Instead" and then "More" as needed.
 
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>: May 27 09:48PM -0700

On Sat, 27 May 2017 21:36:37 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:
 
><https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer>
>How to rotate pages:
><http://help.tracker-software.com/pdfxe6/index.html?rotate-pages_ed.html>
 
Oops. You want Editor, not Viewer:
<https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor>
Despite the pricing, the trial version of Editor will continue to work
after the trial period is over and retains a limited but useful subset
of the editing features (including page rotation).
 
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com>: May 28 01:16AM -0400

analogdial wrote on 5/27/2017 11:43 PM:
>> seen the need to waste paper or own a printer).
 
>> I guess I'll have to take this one to a print shop if I want to read it.
 
> That works, too.
 
I didn't think of that. But you'll have to get the person at the print shop
to make sure the copies are made upside down or it will just be the same
problem.
 
--
 
Rick C
rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com>: May 28 01:21AM -0400

Jeff Liebermann wrote on 5/28/2017 12:36 AM:
 
> You can also rotate documents online:
> <https://www.pdfrotate.com>
> Click on "Rotate Single Page Instead" and then "More" as needed.
 
I recall many years ago, before we all had computers on our desks, we had a
small room with a couple of computers for everyone to share. One of the
secretaries was learning to use a small Mac, the one they drew in cartoons.
She knew nothing of how a mouse worked and was just learning to use the
machine. She asked someone what to do when the mouse hit the side of the
computer and the cursor wasn't where you wanted it.
 
The guy telling the story was laughing at her. I felt bad for her. She was
a very nice person, but didn't understand the world of engineers much less
engineering. That wasn't her fault. Engineers can be very stupid when
dealing with people.
 
--
 
Rick C
thekmanrocks@gmail.com: May 27 03:38PM -0700

ohg.. wrote: "But go to any store that has a hundred TVs running. The one cranked to stupidity is the one most people will think has
the best picture. Kind of like the old "sizzle and boom" EQ settings people like to adjust their stereos for. "
 
LOL!
 
I wonder if this is the case in stores in
countries outside the U.S. I know it
was in one electronic emporium in
the Philippines. I eyeballed a 4K OLED
to sane levels as you did, but within
5 minutes of turning my back the sales
staff had the set back in torch mode!
 
No WONDER consumers have no
concept of accuracy when it comes
to a TV picture, and manufacturers
are largely to blame.
oldschool@tubes.com: May 27 01:11PM -0400

On Fri, 26 May 2017 20:44:23 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <x@y.Invalid>
wrote:
 
 
>Does anybody know enough about LED lights in general to ballpark the
>problem? Not knowing anything, I tend to think it's the screw-on
>switch/back of the light.
 
Someone once handed me one of those cheap $5 or less LED flashlights,
and said "What's wrong with this thing?". I took a look. When the switch
was turned ON, it worked fine and was bright. When the switch was turned
to the OFF position, the LEDs were still lit, but extremely dim.
 
I have to admit, I was puzzled. I ripped it apart as much as possible.
Icould not find any reason. I could only figure that there was some sort
of resistance leaking across that switch, but I did not have a
multimeter on hand. Plus the switch could not be removed without
destroying the flashlight.
 
I just told the owner to remove the batteries when they are not using
it.
 
On the other hand, I own at least a dozen of those (similar) cheap LED
flashlights sold by Walmart for $1. I have no complaints. They work
fine, and for the price they are worth buying. The only bad thing is
that it costs $1 (or more) to replace the three AAA batteries, so it's
ofter cheaper to just buy another flashlight (they come with batteries).
 
However, "Dollar Tree" has a 4 pack of AAA batts for $1, so that only
costs 75 cents for replacement batteries....
tabbypurr@gmail.com: May 27 11:46AM -0700

> ofter cheaper to just buy another flashlight (they come with batteries).
 
> However, "Dollar Tree" has a 4 pack of AAA batts for $1, so that only
> costs 75 cents for replacement batteries....
 
use rechargeables.
 
 
NT
oldschool@tubes.com: May 27 01:25PM -0400

On Sun, 21 May 2017 23:18:20 -0700, John Robertson <spam@flippers.com>
wrote:
 
 
>I hate having to replace plugs/sockets after four or five years because
>I cheaped out when I repaired it previously...
 
>John :-#(#
 
In 50 years, I have never had to replace a RCA audio jack on anything,
with the exception of once overheating it while soldering and melting he
insulation inside of it. (That was when I was young and using a much too
large soldering iron).
 
There is nothing wrong with RCA plugs/jacks. If they get a little
corroded from being in a bad environment, a little 2000 grit sandpaper
cleans them right up. (Or even a pencil eraser).
oldschool@tubes.com: May 27 01:19PM -0400

On Thu, 25 May 2017 19:39:59 -0500, "Dave M" <dgminala@mediacombb.net>
wrote:
 
>That would go a long way toward insuring that the manuals would survive for
>a reasonably long time (maybe outliving the site owners).
 
>Dave M
 
 
Although it's possible, I dont have a website. Back in the 90's anyone
could make a simple HTML website, but these days that's no longer
possible.
 
Plus, since I am on dialup, I much prefer just storing data on my own
computer. I have 1TB of storage space, so it's a lot easier to have it
right here at home.
 
Heck, just this week, I went to a WIFI and downloaded 140 episodes of
one of my favorite old 1960s TV series (from youtube). It took me about
7 hours of downloading, and ended up being around 22GB. But now I can
watch these anytime anywhere.
 
That's not real possible with these sites that require a person to go
thru multiple stems and enter a Captcha, for each download.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 6 topics"

Post a Comment