Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 3 topics

rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com>: May 27 09:37PM -0400

> reader should have a rotate
> function. Ctrl+R, and equivalent
> command on Macs.
 
There is a reason why he likes tube equipment.
 
I had my oscilloscope open once to fix a problem and on a whim I decided to
swap the connections for the horizontal sweep. Don't know why, I just did.
Now I'm very used to it. If I were to want to share any photographs of
traces I would have to reverse the image for anyone else to look at... not
that it would be likely this is needed.
 
--
 
Rick C
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>: May 27 09:48PM -0700

On Sat, 27 May 2017 21:36:37 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:
 
><https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer>
>How to rotate pages:
><http://help.tracker-software.com/pdfxe6/index.html?rotate-pages_ed.html>
 
Oops. You want Editor, not Viewer:
<https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor>
Despite the pricing, the trial version of Editor will continue to work
after the trial period is over and retains a limited but useful subset
of the editing features (including page rotation).
 
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>: May 27 09:36PM -0700

>While looking at some online manuals, I downloaded a .PDF manual that's
>upside down.....
>What the hell am I supposed to do, stand on my head to read it?
 
Most PDF viewers will rotate pages. Older versions of Adobe Acrobat
Viewer will not. I use PDF-Xchange viewer and editor programs instead
of Acrobat:
<https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer>
How to rotate pages:
<http://help.tracker-software.com/pdfxe6/index.html?rotate-pages_ed.html>
 
You can also rotate documents online:
<https://www.pdfrotate.com>
Click on "Rotate Single Page Instead" and then "More" as needed.
 
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com>: May 28 01:16AM -0400

analogdial wrote on 5/27/2017 11:43 PM:
>> seen the need to waste paper or own a printer).
 
>> I guess I'll have to take this one to a print shop if I want to read it.
 
> That works, too.
 
I didn't think of that. But you'll have to get the person at the print shop
to make sure the copies are made upside down or it will just be the same
problem.
 
--
 
Rick C
rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com>: May 28 01:21AM -0400

Jeff Liebermann wrote on 5/28/2017 12:36 AM:
 
> You can also rotate documents online:
> <https://www.pdfrotate.com>
> Click on "Rotate Single Page Instead" and then "More" as needed.
 
I recall many years ago, before we all had computers on our desks, we had a
small room with a couple of computers for everyone to share. One of the
secretaries was learning to use a small Mac, the one they drew in cartoons.
She knew nothing of how a mouse worked and was just learning to use the
machine. She asked someone what to do when the mouse hit the side of the
computer and the cursor wasn't where you wanted it.
 
The guy telling the story was laughing at her. I felt bad for her. She was
a very nice person, but didn't understand the world of engineers much less
engineering. That wasn't her fault. Engineers can be very stupid when
dealing with people.
 
--
 
Rick C
Rheilly Phoull <rheilly@bigslong.com>: May 28 03:36PM +0800


> (No, I dont have a printer. I read everything on screen, so I have never
> seen the need to waste paper or own a printer).
 
> I guess I'll have to take this one to a print shop if I want to read it.
 
On my version (which is Acrobat not the reader) you click on the symbol
that looks like a page with the corner turned down and scroll down to
"page display tools" where is shown a couple of rotate symbols which
will do just that.
analogdial <analogdial@mail.com>: May 28 08:00AM

rickman wrote:
 
 
 
> I didn't think of that. But you'll have to get the person at the print shop
> to make sure the copies are made upside down or it will just be the same
> problem.
 
Even if the print shop screws up and the pages are printed upside down,
the OP still has another choice. He could place the pages on a small
table and move the chair from the East side (for example) to the West
side.
 
This would also work with a flat screen monitor. A CRT monitor
would present some difficulties but there's no stopping the determined.
oldschool@tubes.com: May 28 03:34AM -0400

On Sat, 27 May 2017 21:36:37 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:
 
 
>You can also rotate documents online:
><https://www.pdfrotate.com>
>Click on "Rotate Single Page Instead" and then "More" as needed.
 
I use PDF-Xchange viewer too, and you're right, it does have a rotate
feature. I never knew that was there..... Now I do.
I quit using Adobe reader years ago. I try to avoid all Adobe software.
 
Thanks for the help!
jurb6006@gmail.com: May 28 03:56AM -0700

>"I quit using Adobe reader years ago. I try to avoid all Adobe software. "
 
They started this shit about "make hand cursor into select cursor" which happens after a few seconds. If you forget to move the mouse before clicking to move the view it selects the whole screen, and a second click DOES not deselect.
 
I found the setting that disables that stupid feature in older versions. Usually I have the thing magnified so that I can see it, as a result I frequently have to move it.
 
At work I ended up with the newest version and could not find the setting to disable that "feature". As such, I say this. Version seven is the newest you need fro almost anything. It will bitch once in a a while about wanting to download something about a foreign character set but who wants that ? I can't read it anyway. Can you read simplified Chinese ?
 
I do have Adobe Audition and though its interface is not the best, it is a 128 channel audio recorder, though only two channels at a time unless you have a special soundcard. That is a very low version and it is staying that way. I use it to rip vinyl to CD.
 
There was an older program I used for that, Cooledit. It was only two channels but it worked for the same purpose. turns out, Adobe Audition bear quite a resemblance to Cooledit and I soon found out that once you install Audition, Cooledit no longer works. It usurps one of the DLLs and I am pretty sure it does not back it up. So now the freeware doesn't work and is not likely to either.
 
Oh, and I have Adobe Photoshop. The version is about 20 years old and guess what, it can stay that way. I got XP and Vista and wish I would have upgraded the Vista machine to XP when I had the chance.
 
I will not buy ANYTHING new, especially software.
John Robertson <spam@flippers.com>: May 28 08:28AM -0700

> feature. I never knew that was there..... Now I do.
> I quit using Adobe reader years ago. I try to avoid all Adobe software.
 
> Thanks for the help!
 
See if your reader allows you to save the newly rotated image series.
Depending on how PDF-Exchange works you want to highlight ALL pages and
rotate them together. Then see if you can save the file in the new
orientation.
 
I use a Mac so the problem is trivial as Preview does all that with a
few simple steps: show thumbnails, select all thumbnails, rotate all
thumbnails (which are the pages), save.
 
John :-#)#
 
--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
John's Jukes Ltd.
MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."
rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com>: May 28 11:45AM -0400

John Robertson wrote on 5/28/2017 11:28 AM:
 
> I use a Mac so the problem is trivial as Preview does all that with a few
> simple steps: show thumbnails, select all thumbnails, rotate all thumbnails
> (which are the pages), save.
 
I'm sure it depends on the program you are using, but most that allow you to
actually alter the file have separate controls for rotating the page vs.
just rotating the view. Usually rotating the view causes all pages in the
document to rotate. If you save that document it is unchanged. Rotating
the actual content is a separate control and is usually controlled
separately for each page. That is why you first select the pages you want
rotated. Not all PDF viewers have this feature as they are viewers and not
editors.
 
--
 
Rick C
mike <ham789@netzero.net>: May 27 07:20PM -0700

On 5/27/2017 6:25 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
 
 
> ** Anything using a crystal time base will have good accuracy.
 
> ..... Phil
 
I don't expect anything I could say would change your mind.
We'll just have to disagree on that.
rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com>: May 27 09:41PM -0400

Michael Black wrote on 5/27/2017 7:24 PM:
> seems out of fashion now, so the prescalers are meant for other things, and
> offer a binary division, so bypassing it in the counter (and maybe adding an
> input stage) means the clock for the counter is "wrong".
 
I don't think the prescaler is the problem is it? The problem is the
inappropriate front end. If you design a decent front end and feed the
prescaler with that signal it should work at lower frequencies ok. It may
not have timing controls to let you measure below some 10s of Hz or so, but
is that really a problem? Or do the prescalers work in some way I'm not
familiar with so they just don't operate at lower frequencies?
 
--
 
Rick C
Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net>: May 28 04:13PM +1000

On 28/05/17 14:25, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> Thanks. I was thinking of buying some of those. I should have known
> as much of the low cost "modules" that I've purchased seem to have
> deficiencies as a result of crude design or cost cutting exercises.
 
It was developed by a good hobbyist who posted everything online.
 
I think that full schematics of slightly earlier versions are
available online. He uses a dual-gate MOSFET before the prescaler
and before the main counter, with the inputs paralleled. I think
that affects the sensitivity (though I don't have measurements)
so for my 2nd module, I cut a track to separate the input paths.
I might wind up adding an independent input amplifier with AGC,
or even a pot to adjust the 2nd gate bias on the MOSFETs for a
manual gain control. A little difficult though, as parts of the
circuit are underneath the LED displays, so I'd need to remove
those.
 
The main counter is a PIC.
Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com>: May 28 12:51AM -0700

The Prickman Liar wrote:
 
--------------------------
> not have timing controls to let you measure below some 10s of Hz or so, but
> is that really a problem? Or do the prescalers work in some way I'm not
> familiar with so they just don't operate at lower frequencies?
 
** Wow !!
 
Is it just dawning on this total moron that he is one ?
 
 
 
 
.... Phil
oldschool@tubes.com: May 28 04:03AM -0400

On Sat, 27 May 2017 21:25:42 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:
 
>It has two adjustments labelled "High channel sensitivity adjust"
>which I guess would help with the tiggering. Do these controls work,
>or were they deleted in yet another cost cutting exercise?
 
Although I am not willing to spend big money on this, I tend to avoid
those super cheap boards with no cabinets. I dont know how they can even
sell them that cheap, so obviously they are not quality. Not to mention
it costs 5 times the price of the board to buy some sort of box to put
those boards in, and for all the connectors and stuff. So, by that time
I'd have $25 or $30 invested. I'd rather find a complete unit that is
better quality and eliminate all the hours it takes to put them into
some sort of box. Making boxes and drilling all the holes and that sort
of thing has never been something I am real fond of anyhow.
 
I am currently looking at a Hickok 380, several HP counters, and a C&C
150. That Hickok is a BID sale, which means I dont have much of a chance
of getting it. (Being on dialup, I cant place a bid in the last 10
seconds). Normally I dont even bother with bid sales, and just do the
"Buy It Now" items.
 
The HPs are all over my price range, but I dont need to buy it today or
even this week. I can wait till I find a better deal. That C&C 150 seems
like a real good deal, (about $39 with shipping), but I have never heard
of that brand so I am looking to see if I can find more reviews of it.
It appears to be a rather high-end device, with lots of features and a
very wide freq range.
 
My main reason to get a counter is mostly just to check the frequency
coming from my Signal Generator. Having one that also checks audio freqs
would be kind of nice, since I have a tone generator that I'd like to be
able to know the frequencies it's outputting, but that is not an
absolute necessity.
 
I probably got more use from the Freq counter I used in the 70s (which
was borrowed). Back then I was doing a lot with CB radios and that
counter would check the CB channel output for accuracy. But I dont do
much with CBs anymore, since no one uses them now.
Trevor Wilson <trevor@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au>: May 28 07:41PM +1000

On 28/05/2017 12:20 PM, mike wrote:
 
>> ..... Phil
 
> I don't expect anything I could say would change your mind.
> We'll just have to disagree on that.
 
**Here is a crystal I specified for a project back in the 1990s (because
it was cheap). I paid AUS$0.22 each for them in 1,000 quantity. It's
cheap because it is typically used in clocks.
 
http://au.element14.com/ael-crystals/x4m194304l063/crystal-4-194304mhz/dp/9509585
 
Here is the technical data:
 
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/314855.pdf?_ga=2.69406800.1111768045.1495964287-327383801.1495964215
 
+/- 20PPM is very decent accuracy. Plenty good enough for regular
domestic service. Certainly, for professional stuff, you'll need an oven
for the crystal.
 
 
 
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com>: May 28 02:56AM -0700

Trevor Wilson wrote:
 
-------------------
 
 
> +/- 20PPM is very decent accuracy. Plenty good enough for regular
> domestic service. Certainly, for professional stuff, you'll need an oven
> for the crystal.
 
** Please note that the tempco of 50ppm over the range of -10C to 60C.
 
So well under 1ppm per degree C !!!
 
The initial accuracy can easily be trimmed to under 1ppm match the usual operating temp - say 20 C.
 
Put those simple facts together and it ain't difficult to get 5ppm accuracy in your workshop.
 
Just don't put the X-tal next to a hot component on the PCB - like Jim Rowe of EA did with their 1GHz counter.
 
 
 
 
.... Phil
Ralph Mowery <rmowery28146@earthlink.net>: May 28 09:57AM -0400

In article <amvkich0ner9edkqbo0blbpkmatt46n1ed@4ax.com>,
oldschool@tubes.com says...
> of getting it. (Being on dialup, I cant place a bid in the last 10
> seconds). Normally I dont even bother with bid sales, and just do the
> "Buy It Now" items.
 
YOu really need to buy one of the used service monitors. They can be
had for around $ 1000. You get a counter signal generator and many more
things.
Foxs Mercantile <jdangus@att.net>: May 28 09:12AM -0500

On 5/28/2017 8:57 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
 
> You really need to buy one of the used service monitors.
 
Like this for example:
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/272688535932>
 
 
 
--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi
http://www.foxsmercantile.com
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
Foxs Mercantile <jdangus@att.net>: May 28 09:22AM -0500

> of getting it. (Being on dialup, I cant place a bid in the last 10
> seconds). Normally I dont even bother with bid sales, and just do the
> "Buy It Now" items.
 
Have you been living under a rock for the past 20 years?
<https://www.esnipe.com/>
 
 
--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi
http://www.foxsmercantile.com
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
"Dave M" <dgminala@mediacombb.net>: May 28 10:19AM -0500

> was borrowed). Back then I was doing a lot with CB radios and that
> counter would check the CB channel output for accuracy. But I dont do
> much with CBs anymore, since no one uses them now.
 
Can't blame you a bit for not jumping on those "kits" mentioned previously.
Often more trouble than they're worth when you consider all the other stuff
you have to buy and then all the work to assemble and make work.
The C&C 150 seems like a pretty good deal for you. Certainly in your price
range, and appears to be a decent entry level counter. You can get a manual
from the manufacturer' web site
(http://www.cncinst.co.kr/english/bbs/board.php?bo_table=data_eng_manual&wr_id=13);
(Registration required, but nothing out of reason, like credit card numbers,
etc.)
 
You'll probably find out, if you research "reciprocal counters" (of which,
this is one) that they offer much better resolution than other "normal"
counters, especially at low audio frequencies. This is a good thing, since
you can select a shorter gate time for the measurement than normal counters.
If you want to measure an audio tone of, say 123.4 Hz, you'd need to select
a gate time of 10 seconds to get the last digit to display. With a
reciprocal counter, you can select a gate time of 1 second, or even 0.1
second, and see all the digits the counter can display. It actually
measures the period of a signal, and a microcomputer inside the counter does
a bit of math to calculate and display the frequency with all the digits the
counter is capable of displaying.
 
Good luck with your choice,
Dave M
Foxs Mercantile <jdangus@att.net>: May 28 10:30AM -0500

Or you can just buy something that works.
<https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Precision-Frequency-Counter-Digital/dp/B00MDVN4R0>
 
 
--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi
http://www.foxsmercantile.com
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
oldschool@tubes.com: May 28 04:19AM -0400

> Tv gives black screen and no sound
 
It's a Black & White movie which contains no white. As for the sound,
it's close captioned...... :)
thekmanrocks@gmail.com: May 28 05:26AM -0700

rickman:
 
CLOUSEAU'S DEPUTY: Did they know what
kind of a bomb it was?
 
 
INSP. CLOUSEAU: The exploding kind!
 
XD
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 3 topics"

Post a Comment