Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 18 updates in 6 topics

Ralph Mowery <rmowery28146@earthlink.net>: Sep 13 01:02PM -0400

In article <rllircpppd7dpgs7prftp00nqhlo6nleig@4ax.com>,
jeffl@cruzio.com says...
> some of these odd pattern fasteners and not have a matching driver:
> <http://atomic22.com>
> <http://www.torontocycles.com/Titanium_Security_Bolts.html>
 
 
I hate all the 'special' screw heads just to try and keep
people from turning them. I have several chain saws ,leaf
blowers, and other small engines that each one takes a
special tool just to adjust the carborator. Seems like
there are 5 or more special tools just to adjust the
carborators. One company does not offer their tool to
anyone but their service companies. I had to take my
Dremal tool and cut a slot in the head so a regular screw
driver would fit.
 
Those spcial tools only slow down people and do nt seem to
stop anyone.
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>: Sep 13 05:20PM -0700

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 13:02:20 -0400, Ralph Mowery
>driver would fit.
 
>Those spcial tools only slow down people and do nt seem to
>stop anyone.
 
Yep, that's pretty much the way things work. To protect the
environment from smog produced by chain saws, carburetors are to be
adjusted only by factory authorized experts, or by anyone with an eBay
account:
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/8pk-Screwdriver-Splined-Carb-Carburetor-Adjustment-Chainsaw-Tools-Kit-Repair-Set-/142506605139>
I find it hard that the accumulated smog output from small engines
would be significant, especially when compared to automobiles,
industrial output, and bovine flatulence, but so it is written into
the law.
 
Incidentally, I was just taking a break from chewing up some lumber
scrap with my nice new Stihl MS180 chain saw. The only user
accessible carburetor adjustment is the idle speed. No problem with a
new saw, but if I ever rebuild the carburetor, I'll surely need to
adjust the low and high speed screws.
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
ggherold@gmail.com: Sep 14 05:12AM -0700

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 8:20:07 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
> Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
> Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
 
I've got an old Stihl chainsaw. It's got two adjustment screws, I've
only tweaked the one. Dang nice tool!
 
George H.
"pfjw@aol.com" <pfjw@aol.com>: Sep 14 06:46AM -0700

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 8:20:07 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> would be significant, especially when compared to automobiles,
> industrial output, and bovine flatulence, but so it is written into
> the law.
 
Not so much chain-saws as two-stroke engines in general.
 
https://www.edmunds.com/about/press/leaf-blowers-emissions-dirtier-than-high-performance-pick-up-trucks-says-edmunds-insidelinecom.html
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
etpm@whidbey.com: Sep 14 08:48AM -0700

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 17:20:02 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:
 
>accessible carburetor adjustment is the idle speed. No problem with a
>new saw, but if I ever rebuild the carburetor, I'll surely need to
>adjust the low and high speed screws.
Greetings Jeff,
Does your new saw have the wind up starting feature? Several years
ago I bought a new Stihl MS180 C that has this feature and the no
tools required chain tensioning and bar removal system. I bought the
saw manily for the wind up starting because of bad arthritis in both
wrists.
I love the saw. It still starts easy and changing chains and
cleaning the sawdust out is super easy. I think Stihl is now making a
larger saw with the same features and I need to go shopping to see.
The only problem with the saw was when the oiler stopped working. I
called the local Stihl dealer for advice and he said to pour out the
bar oil, replace with fuel mix, run the saw without the bar attached
until the fuel mix starts coming out, and the dump the fuel and
replace with bar oil. His advice was good.
Eric
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>: Sep 14 09:42AM -0700

On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 06:46:01 -0700 (PDT), "pfjw@aol.com"
 
>https://www.edmunds.com/about/press/leaf-blowers-emissions-dirtier-than-high-performance-pick-up-trucks-says-edmunds-insidelinecom.html
 
>Peter Wieck
>Melrose Park, PA
 
I'm still having a hard time believing it.
The web site mentioned in the press release:
<http://www.insideline.com>
has disappeared and is being redirected to edmunds.com. I wasn't able
to find the actual report. Nothing on the Edmunds site under
"research". However, the video is still on YouTube:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxQIHoTmxs>
Seems to be for real, but I still would like to see the numbers and
details.
 
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
T i m <news@spaced.me.uk>: Sep 14 02:45PM +0100

Hi All,
 
The tip has come though the barrel on my trusty Weller iron (I've had
and used it regularly since my days with British Telecom 40+ years
ago) and I think it's a function of wear on both.
 
So I'm looking for a new barrel and probably a new tip [1] but I just
wondered if anyone could confirm the part number for the barrel
please? I believe it's '0051031199' but I thought I'd check before
ordering.
 
And whilst I can find PT-H6 tips (on eBay etc), I wondered if anyone
knew of an alternative that might be better for slightly bigger jobs
and with 60/40 please?
 
Like, I believe the PT-H6 is a .8mm 'screwdriver' tip and 310 or 315
DegC?
 
I think the number on the end determines the temperature with:
6=310, 7=370, 8=425, 9=480 DegC so a 6 should be good for 60/40 with a
melting point of about 190 DegC?
 
I'm guessing the 'PT' is probably the series and the other letter
defines the shape and size of the tip so is there a nice chart
somewhere please?
 
Cheers, T i m
 
[1] I have several other irons, including a 250V temperature
controlled / (screwdriver) adjustable Weller (somewhere), a big Weller
(75W), an Iroda Pro-50K gas iron (very handy) and even a 'hot knife'
for cutting synthetic rope, however I was wondering if there was a
mode modern workhorse general purpose iron that could match the PU-1D
for reliability and spares access etc?
Chris Jones <lugnut808@spam.yahoo.com>: Sep 15 12:39AM +1000

On 14/09/2017 23:45, T i m wrote:
> wondered if anyone could confirm the part number for the barrel
> please? I believe it's '0051031199' but I thought I'd check before
> ordering.
 
Can't recall the numbers but you'll probably need a new element as well
as barrel. They changed (increased) the outside diameter of the
replacement TCP elements around 2003, and consequently also the inside
diameter of the barrels. Maybe the old element would work in a new
barrel but I wouldn't be surprised if the thread or something else
doesn't fit properly.
 
I had the opposite problem, the element burned out so I needed to
replace the barrel too. I'd consider sending you my old barrel, but I am
too far away (Australia) (and I can't guarantee that I would be able to
find it).
 
 
> And whilst I can find PT-H6 tips (on eBay etc), I wondered if anyone
> knew of an alternative that might be better for slightly bigger jobs
> and with 60/40 please?
I pretty much only use two sorts, I think they are PTDD7 and PTAA7 but
not sure any more as I mostly use a Metcal these days.
 
 
> I think the number on the end determines the temperature with:
> 6=310, 7=370, 8=425, 9=480 DegC so a 6 should be good for 60/40 with a
> melting point of about 190 DegC?
No, 6 is too cold even with tin-lead. You want a number 7, and I think
that will do nicely for lead free as well. Number 8 will burn tracks off
the board unless you are very careful and quick.
 
 
> I'm guessing the 'PT' is probably the series and the other letter
> defines the shape and size of the tip so is there a nice chart
> somewhere please?
Not easy to find with google. It doesn't help that Farnell uses the
wrong photo for most of the tips.
 
Ralph Mowery <rmowery28146@earthlink.net>: Sep 13 01:11PM -0400

In article <1d24b048-8665-4621-bd51-
1fa0c0afb44a@googlegroups.com>, mhooker32@gmail.com
says...
 
> im working on a arcade game board . the tip 120 for an eject soleniod is driven right off the processor leg, no pre -driver transistor. didnt even think that was possible, maybe that why it blew. is there a mosfet i can replace the tip120 with?
 
> thanks
 
Why not just buy the tip 120 ? They are only from about
$ .50 to $ .75 from several big dealers.
 
Even ebay has what you want for less than $ 6 for 5 of
them including shipping. The larges cost is the $ 4 for
shipping That the arcade game machine is mentione in.
 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qty-5-TIP120-Williams-Pinball-
Coil-Driver-Transistors-/251525068084?epid=1231714050
&hash=item3a900ff534:g:XX8AAOSw8d9UuyQx
ggherold@gmail.com: Sep 13 01:12PM -0700

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 12:25:30 PM UTC-4, tom wrote:
 
> > George H.
 
> The TIP120 is a medium power darlington NPN rated for 60 volts. It has the
> reverse diode built in.
 
Huh, thanks. I knew it is a darlington, I didn't know about the diode.
Still you might want to add a diode on the coil... I'm a belt and suspenders
type.
 
George H.
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>: Sep 13 05:29PM -0700


>im working on a arcade game board . the tip 120 for an eject soleniod is driven right off the processor leg, no pre -driver transistor. didnt even think that was possible, maybe that why it blew. is there a mosfet i can replace the tip120 with?
>thanks
 
I don't like using darlingtons for power drivers. A momentary shorted
load, and the darlington blows up from too much current. This article
should provide some detail:
<http://www.sensitiveresearch.com/elec/DoNotTIP/index.html>
I can't offer any specific recommendations without some clue as to the
processor output voltage and current capabilities, the solenoid specs,
and the operating voltage.
 
 
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
ggherold@gmail.com: Sep 14 05:20AM -0700

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 8:29:21 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
> Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
> Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
 
I use a TIP120 in a lamp heater (Rubidium lamp). It's nailed
right to the lamp housing (besides a power resistor that shares the work.)
Works great. It must be a fairly robust piece of silicon, 'cause I've used it to raise the lamp temperature to 150 C and let it run for days like that.
(typical operation temp is 120 C.. for years.)
 
George H.
John-Del <ohger1s@gmail.com>: Sep 14 06:46AM -0700

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 8:29:21 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
> Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
> Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
 
 
 
I wouldn't worry about using a Darlington as a coil driver. Arcade games are generally quite robust (the monitors generally the weakest point) and they've been using them for years with no issues. They used to use relays or even high current leaf switches to drive coils but relays and switches have a finite life.
oldschool@tubes.com: Sep 13 10:01PM -0400

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 14:50:57 +0100, Adrian Caspersz <email@here.invalid>
wrote:
 
 
>If so, I think I might need to make conductive and internally ground
>parts of the vacuum cleaner, using metal loaded paint and/or aluminium
>tape. Work that I want to avoid if possible.
 
While I am not 100% sure, I would think that any metal tip on the vac
which is well grounded, should work. I'd probably find some pipe and
duct tape it to the vac. Then apply a ground wire to it.
John Larkin <jjlarkin@highlandtechnology.com>: Sep 13 09:21PM -0700

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 14:50:57 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
>operation.
 
>http://www.beldray.com/beldray-bel0427-quick-vac-lite-red.html
 
>I'd quite like to use it to clean dust out from electronic equipment.
 
Just do it. Air is not going to zap electronic gear.
 
 
--
 
John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
 
lunatic fringe electronics
oldschool@tubes.com: Sep 13 07:58PM -0400

>notched past for a semi fast dry and fell into a bin. Sorry I don't
>have a better memory.
>CP
 
That makes sense and the wheels would rotate the diode, resistor, etc. I
did assume the paint was very fast drying. How they managed to get the
correct polarity with that device is hard to imagine. I can only guess
there was a means to get a meter reading on them in mass amounts.
Interesting stuff!!!!
MOP CAP <email@domain.com>: Sep 13 07:02PM -0700

To measure the BV[ break down voltage] of a diode you apply a small
current [5 micro amp] and measure the voltage.
If it is a high voltage it is in one polarity. If a low voltage it is
the forward direction. If correct the diode drops down. If not it goes
thru a tube that rotates i it n the correction direction and into the
hopper for the painter..
CP
rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com>: Sep 13 03:32PM -0400

~misfit~ wrote on 9/13/2017 9:26 AM:
>> aren't?
 
> I didn't say they aren't here, I remember that not long ago they weren't in
> the US. Are they compulsory in the back seats too?
 
http://bfy.tw/DuT3
 
--
 
Rick C
 
Viewed the eclipse at Wintercrest Farms,
on the centerline of totality since 1998
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 18 updates in 6 topics"

Post a Comment