Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 12 updates in 7 topics

N_Cook <diverse@tcp.co.uk>: Sep 19 03:27PM +0100

Not been used for perhaps 8 years, tested numerous times previously in
use, all fine.
Go to use it again, push the test button and flash and a bang.
The 1/8 watt dropper that is switched in on test, connected to supply
side (240V here), partly burnt up and burned up thin traces.
That 1/8 W presumably MO resistor now measures about 1.8K, residul green
and brown bands, as 30mA trip, presumably was 510K.
Would there be metalisation creep associated with a MO resistor? or how
else could a MO resistor initially fail by "losing" ohms?
Obviously it would not have dropped to 1.8K in storage, just low enough
to overheat during half a second or so of powering, then runaway/sputtering.
"pfjw@aol.com" <pfjw@aol.com>: Sep 19 09:24AM -0700

If an instrument is "rode hard, put away wet", then there could be all sorts of failure modes from salts creep across some leads, corroded traces (especially across SMT chip connections) and similar. Where the failure showed up is not necessarily the first-cause.
 
I have seen situations (as recently as this last weekend) where an individual carried a tube tuner from his car to my clinic table in Kutztown for testing. What he did not understand was that it was a very hot and humid day, and he was dripping seriously through the cover into the guts. I did notice the sweat and cleaned it off before applying power. But had I not noticed - between the salts in the sweat and them corroding traces, can you say *POW*. Note that should there be some source of salts, these are naturally deliquescent - every time the humidity rises, the damage will go further.
 
Just a thought.
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
bruce2bowser@gmail.com: Sep 19 09:22AM -0700

~misfit~ wrote:
>money became more and more important it became necessary for there
>to be financiers but christians weren't going to risk lending their
>money free of charge. So jews were
invited
 
>Yet how do we thank them? By making thinly-veiled anti-semetic
>jokes in electronics repair groups (and probably other places as
>well).
 
Bigoted trolls will always be around. Just avoid them. Just ignore them.
N_Cook <diverse@tcp.co.uk>: Sep 19 03:28PM +0100

Anyone a member/ knowledge of any pitfalls or tips? I'm thinking of
joining a local one as an electronic repairer. They have their own
insurance cover.
Some things like electric blankets, hair curling tongs are definite
no-nos, talking to one of the electrical/electronic repairers.
Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>: Sep 19 04:27PM +0100

N_Cook wrote:
 
> Anyone a member
Ask again in uk.d-i-y and Andrew Gabriel might reply ...
captainvideo462009@gmail.com: Sep 19 07:20AM -0700

I would like to test my 9V, C, D, AA, and AAA under the proper load. I don't know what that would be for each size though. I want to build a little test fixture for this with a meter and the appropriate load connected for each size. Can someone please tell me what the appropriate loads would be. Thanks, Lenny
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>: Sep 19 08:01AM -0700

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 07:20:39 -0700 (PDT), captainvideo462009@gmail.com
wrote:
 
>I would like to test my 9V, C, D, AA, and AAA under the proper load. I don't know what that would be for each size though. I want to build a little test fixture for this with a meter and the appropriate load connected for each size. Can someone please tell me what the appropriate loads would be. Thanks, Lenny
 
Well, you could try bouncing the cells:
<http://gizmodo.com/an-amazingly-simple-way-to-test-if-a-battery-is-dead-1138197569>
<https://lifehacker.com/test-if-your-batteries-are-dead-by-dropping-them-on-a-h-1630525062>
I tried it and couldn't make it work, but maybe you'll have better
luck.
 
Lots of commercial alkaline battery testers available. I have one of
these:
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amprobe-BAT200-Battery-Tester-/282415287281>
 
There are quite a few do it thyself battery tester construction
articles. Pick whichever looks good:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=build+alkaline+battery+tester>
 
Note: I've on a campaign to purge from my life as many alkaline
batteries as possible. I'm tired of leaky batteries destroying my
equipment.
<http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/Kirkland-AAA-leak.jpg>
Mostly, I'm switching to LiIon. Where that's not possible, LSD (low
self discharge) NiMH cells. If the device will not run on NiMH, it
gets recycled.
 
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Rheilly Phoull <rheilly@bigslong.com>: Sep 19 08:30AM +0800

> The Troll is back. Please don't feed the troll.
 
So piss off then !!
Trevor Wilson <trevor@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au>: Sep 19 01:39PM +1000

On 18/09/2017 11:30 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
 
> The material sets harder than most glues, like contact adhesive or rubber/silicone glue.
 
> Beside fast curing, the big advantage of CA glue is how it whets and penetrates into small gaps and pores in a materials before setting.
 
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate#Properties
 
**GOOD QUALITY CA glue is an excellent product for a variety of uses.
This is the stuff I've been using:
 
http://www.pascofix.com/
 
Of particular interest is this stuff (Pascofill):
 
http://www.pascofix.com/pasco-fix-instructions/
 
It allows for the building of fillets, thus making VERY strong joints,
when only small surface area is available. Since the Pascofix glue ran
out, I switched to Loctite, which I find excellent.
 
 
 
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
T i m <news@spaced.me.uk>: Sep 18 11:47PM +0100

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 23:06:17 +1000, Chris Jones
<lugnut808@spam.yahoo.com> wrote:
 
<snip>
>> can't remember how I got there?
 
>Oh well, I was hoping to find out how you did it. I can think of a few
>ways but none of them are very elegant.
 
Just for you Chris, I took the bottom off my PU-1D and took a couple
of pictures of what I found inside. ;-)
 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4g0txwl813e0vn/PU-1D%20mod%201.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8lvblyq4qyn8me/PU-1D%20mod%202.jpg?dl=0
 
I think (because it's wrapped up in tape) there is a big electrolytic
cap in there as well.
 
I'm not sure the pictures help but as you can see it's not just a
couple of components but I'm not sure I'd go as far as to call it
elegant (especially the soldering as I was probably supposed to be
'working' when I did it). ;-)
 
Cheers, T i m
etpm@whidbey.com: Sep 18 09:57AM -0700

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 19:55:50 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:
 
>A little digging found a replacement bar and chain on eBay:
><http://www.ebay.com/itm/192054090789>
>For $19 and a 4-6 week wait, it seems like a tolerable risk.
The guy at the Stihl store told me I can put a different and longer
bar on mine. So I'm gonna do what you did. The skinny chain also does
not cut as fast as the .05 chain because of the safety anti-kickback
feature in the skinny chain. I bought the fastest cutting .043 chain I
could find but it still doesn't cut as fast as the non-kickback chain
does.
BTW, I have been using chain saws for about 40 years and have always
tried to be safe. I always tried hard to avoid kickback after I saw
the scars on a fellow worker's arm from a saw kicking back. I never,
until this last summer, had a saw kick back hard enough that it got
even close to a body part. But it finally happened and the chain brake
worked just like it was supposed to. Even if the chain had hit me it
would have been stopped. Those brakes are a great idea. I never set
the saw down without first engaging the brake.
Eric
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>: Sep 18 10:31AM -0700

>>For $19 and a 4-6 week wait, it seems like a tolerable risk.
 
>The guy at the Stihl store told me I can put a different and longer
>bar on mine. So I'm gonna do what you did.
 
The stock bar is 16" while the most common replacements mentioned are
14". There seems to be some variation in the way the bars are
measured. If you look at the video above, the 14" bar appears to be
only about 1" shorter, not 2". I ordered a 14" bar because I couldn't
find a cheap 16" bar and chain and I have a big saw with a 24" bar.
Trying to drive a long bar with only a 32cc engine is not going to
work well.
 
>feature in the skinny chain. I bought the fastest cutting .043 chain I
>could find but it still doesn't cut as fast as the non-kickback chain
>does.
 
Thanks. I've never tried a low-kickback chain. I have a bar nose
kickback protection plate on some of my bars. They work, but prevents
me from cutting oversized logs. Otherwise, I'm just careful not to
dig the nose into the ground or notch in the cut.
 
>BTW, I have been using chain saws for about 40 years and have always
>tried to be safe.
 
My involvement with chainsaws started when I bought this house in
1973. That would be 44 years. However, I'm getting too old for doing
my own firewood and have been buying my firewood for exorbitant
prices.
 
>worked just like it was supposed to. Even if the chain had hit me it
>would have been stopped. Those brakes are a great idea. I never set
>the saw down without first engaging the brake.
 
I've been lucky so far but have had a few close calls. The chain
brake saved me once, but that was enough. Oddly, I have had more near
accidents when starting a chainsaw than running one. I tend to get
sloppy when tired and it shows when starting. These days, I always
start a saw on the ground, not tree climber style in the air. I
should lock the brake more often, but often forget.
 
Good luck and I'll let you know how the bar and chain transplant work.
 
 
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 12 updates in 7 topics"

Post a Comment