Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 8 updates in 2 topics

oldschool@tubes.com: Feb 20 04:48AM -0600

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 22:52:30 -0800, John Robertson <spam@flippers.com>
wrote:
 
>The most common chip used at first was the 5101 256x4 CMOS RAM, needed
>roughly 2VDC to maintain and usually a 3.6VDC Ni-Cad battery was
>installed to keep that device charged.
 
Those must be newer pinball games. That open one I saw was probably
1950s era. I suppose they now have more computer circuits. Since you
mentioned CMOS RAM, I see that is true. Now I learned something new :)
 
>of them - I assumed safely, but not so sure now that I hear about all
>the recycling done in 3rd world countries...
 
>John :-#(#
 
Yea, I know what you mean about the 3rd world recycling. Once again, the
government is showing their stupidity. In my area, Goodwill stores can
no longer sell computers or computer parts. I run older computers with
PS2 mice and keyboards. I also prefer the old ball mice. My mouse died
and I went to Goodwill to buy a new *used* mouse. I was told they are
not allowed to sell any computer stuff anymore. It all must go to the
state's computer recycling program. I said "but you should still be able
to sell a mouse or keyboard". I was told they have no way to test them.
(As if it's difficult to plug them into an old computer and see if they
work. (Plus half the other electrical stuff they sell is broken anyhow).
 
It would seem to me that the best way to recycle things like that is to
sell then to people who can reuse them, but when it comes to the govt.
nothing they do makes much sense.
 
(I found a seller on ebay who was selling the old PS2 ball mice NOS for
$5.50. I bought one and it was identical to my old one that died, so I
bought a couple more. That's the kind of mouse I like, and I can use
them on a newer computer too, with a PS2 to USB adaptor (which I also
have).
Terry Schwartz <tschw10117@aol.com>: Feb 20 04:57AM -0800

That package looks like it may have been frozen.
 
On Monday, February 19, 2018 at 12:45:27 PM UTC-6, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>: Feb 19 10:45AM -0800

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 09:25:30 -0800 (PST), KenO <kenitholson@yahoo.com>
wrote:
 
> Agree have never had problems with either NiCd or NiMH.
 
I beg to differ. I have had NiCd and NiMH cells leak. The difference
is that unlike alkaline, they don't leak in the package:
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/Kirkland-AAA-leak.jpg>
I've found from dealing with commercial walkie-talkie batteries, that
if I leave the packs totally discharged for more than a few weeks, the
batteries will leak. The good news is that this rarely happens.
 
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
KenO <kenitholson@yahoo.com>: Feb 20 08:12AM -0800

tabb,
 
"Simple really. Alkaline batteries leave what looks like white fuzzy crystals. Some times with bluish green tint."
 
Blue and bluish green is what I have.
 
Have made 2 jpegs of the contacts and since have not received any tips how to attach in this forum Googled and found "HOW TO SHARE FILES WITH GOOGLE GROUPS by James T. Cains"
http://www.dummies.com/education/internet-basics/how-to-share-files-with-google-groups/ "...click Reply. Click Attach a File."
 
Somehow attach a file does not show in my Opera Browser or doesn't this forum allow attachments?
FreeMan <freeMan@SpamFree.com>: Feb 20 06:53AM -0800

Electronics are OK but the fan is super noisy on both my units.
Took it to the local Oreck dealer and they said no can fix.
These have the buttons on the top and have a silver removable cover to
access the filter.
 
But can it be fixed ? Bearings available ?
 
Amazon has new but it will not let me make a purchase based on my
location (Southern California). Why ?
 
I have used the two I have for over 10 years but now cannot stand the noise.
Terry Schwartz <tschw10117@aol.com>: Feb 20 06:58AM -0800

10 years is a significant run time for a fan motor. You could try lubricating the bearings but it may only provide temporary abatement of the noise, if any. It's unlikely that bearings are replaceable, and even less likely that you'd be able to find them.
 
You might have better luck trying to replace the entire fan.
 
On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 8:53:55 AM UTC-6, FreeMan wrote:
FreeMan <freeMan@SpamFree.com>: Feb 20 07:07AM -0800

Is there a exploded view manual around to see how to disassemble ?
Terry Schwartz <tschw10117@aol.com>: Feb 20 08:11AM -0800

On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 9:07:16 AM UTC-6, FreeMan wrote:
> Is there a exploded view manual around to see how to disassemble ?
 
This site seems to have at least some of the models shown in exploded view.
 
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/oreck-air-purifier-parts-c-130239_130321.html
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 8 updates in 2 topics"

Post a Comment