Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 10 updates in 4 topics

amdx <nojunk@knology.net>: Sep 28 02:42PM -0500

On 9/27/2019 11:40 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
 
> Talks to them all the time, on long range AM radio.
 
> ..... Phil
 
Any chance I saved him from some abuse? :-)
Can we call him Fred the PITA?
And, I don't talk to them, I just here the voices!
Mikek
Cursitor Doom <curd@notformail.com>: Sep 29 11:19AM

On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 09:03:41 -0500, Dave M wrote:

> Galvin Manufacturing was the original radio manufacturing company that
> eventually became Motorola. They started making consumer radios, and
> then invented a record player that could be installed in an automobile.
 
By God that must have taken some doing.
 
 
 
--
This message may be freely reproduced without limit or charge only via
the Usenet protocol. Reproduction in whole or part through other
protocols, whether for profit or not, is conditional upon a charge of
GBP10.00 per reproduction. Publication in this manner via non-Usenet
protocols constitutes acceptance of this condition.
Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com>: Sep 29 07:21AM -0700

Cursitor Doom wrote:
 
-----------------------
> > eventually became Motorola. They started making consumer radios, and
> > then invented a record player that could be installed in an automobile.
 
> By God that must have taken some doing.
 
** I've seen a portabe 45rpm player where the disk slid into a slot like bread in a toaster. The arm was held against the vinyl surface by spring pressure.
 
Crystal PU, of course, with no vertical compliance - a real "groove straightener".
 
 
.... Phil
Johann Klammer <klammerj@NOSPAM.a1.net>: Sep 29 04:01PM +0200


> Japan and South Korea Feud, but Breaking Up Is Hard
> New York Times - August 28, 2019
> -- https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/28/business/japan-south-korea-trade.html
 
supposedly also HF(acid). arirang TV has been reporting on it..
tabbypurr@gmail.com: Sep 28 05:09PM -0700

On Saturday, 28 September 2019 00:11:38 UTC+1, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
 
> Yet you persist on saying carbon composition resistors are better
> for a given application.
 
> Make up your mind.
 
I'm not confused. Nor am I much concerned whether you read up on them or not. Good night.
Fox's Mercantile <jdangus@att.net>: Sep 28 07:27PM -0500

>> for a given application.
 
>> Make up your mind.
 
> I'm not confused. Nor am I much concerned whether you read up on them or not. Good night.
 
Actually you are confused.
Previously you'd said:
 
> Oh boy. Carbon comp is so much better at pulse work that a comp R with a given pulse rating is cheaper than a larger film type with the same pulse rating. THAT'S WHY THEY'RE USED.
 
Then you follow up with:
> No, modern resistors used within their specs are very reliable. They're among the most reliable of electronic components. Further comment is just not worthwhile.
 
Yet carbon composition resistors are made the same way they've
been made for the past 50 years. And with the same time and
temperature drift that they've always had.
 
--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
WA6FWi
http:foxsmercantile.com
Jeff Urban <jurb6006@gmail.com>: Sep 28 07:26PM -0700

Whatever they all say this is the deal. First of all things that pop up when cold might be connections, if when hot they are almost always component failure.
 
You have to thermally cycle it several times, so go over your Grandma's place a steal an endtable. Take the case off and get a towel. Fire it up and maybe take some voltages. Cover with towel. Then when it fails take those voltages again.
 
Then find out where any missing voltages come from. Always remember, 70% of the time or more it only has one problem. I used to say almost all the time but that is no longer true. And things blow each other, but there is one ROOT cause of the problem.
 
If you can't find a case history on it you are just going to have to do it, all there is to it.
 
You can try Repairworld if they are still around for $11 a month. Just one month isn't going to break the bank I hope but they might not have anything on it.
 
Other than that, just troubleshot. Got a print ? Maybe we can look at ? I don't even know what the fuck this thing is. It could be an ICBM or a toaster fr as I know.
tabbypurr@gmail.com: Sep 29 03:31AM -0700

On Sunday, 29 September 2019 01:28:02 UTC+1, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
 
> Yet carbon composition resistors are made the same way they've
> been made for the past 50 years. And with the same time and
> temperature drift that they've always had.
 
which part of
> I'm not confused. Nor am I much concerned whether you read up on them or not. Good night.
did you not grasp? I don't need an answer.
Cursitor Doom <curd@notformail.com>: Sep 29 11:15AM

On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 19:26:22 -0700, Jeff Urban wrote:
 
> Other than that, just troubleshot. Got a print ? Maybe we can look at ?
> I don't even know what the fuck this thing is. It could be an ICBM or a
> toaster fr as I know.
 
It's an old HP 8565A RF spectrum analyser built with good old fashioned
discrete components you can physically see.
The problem I'm having is access. I have identified the failed board: the
x-amplifier module. They've used plug-in boards which is great in one
way, except that they're so closely juxtaposed with other plug-in boards
it's impossible to carry out any traditional troubleshooting techniques
whilst under power. Believe me, I've tried. Tacking on fine wires to
various key connections and running them out for probing and whatnot but
I'd end up with a right old rat's nest of a mess if I carry on like that
much longer.
I've discovered a lot of old tower computers use the same pitch of plug
in board that HP used (3.96mm) so I've ordered a matching socket and will
make up a patch lead that will enable me to probe the board under power
out in the open where I can get at it. It's a PITA, but there's no
alternative I can see.
 
 
--
This message may be freely reproduced without limit or charge only via
the Usenet protocol. Reproduction in whole or part through other
protocols, whether for profit or not, is conditional upon a charge of
GBP10.00 per reproduction. Publication in this manner via non-Usenet
protocols constitutes acceptance of this condition.
Larz <dispcal667@nospam.net>: Sep 28 05:36PM -0400

Ok, so I picked up a Kuman Electricity Usage Monitor. For anyone not
familiar, it shows KW used, current V and I, some other things like a
cost calculation, etc. I plugged the 175 W mercury lamp into it and
here are the figures I got after letting the system run for 8 hours, 35 min:
 
1.77 Kwh
209.8 W
0.19 cost
2.018 A
0.84 pfc
 
So, inputting my Kwh rate beforehand, it's showing ~19 cents per 8 hour
period.
 
I have no idea if these figures are correct and probably won't until the
electric bill arrives and/or I ever came across a scope. The device had
good ratings and most folks seemed satisfied, which was the main reason
I purchased it.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 10 updates in 4 topics"

Post a Comment