Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 4 updates in 2 topics

"ohg...@gmail.com" <ohger1s@gmail.com>: Feb 01 11:14AM -0800

I'm going through some stuff I have to move (retiring in June) and trying to decide what to keep. I have a Burr Brown 501 dual supply that puts out +/-15 volts with 115 VAC in. The supply is working but I don't know what's its use was originally. It's a compact block and it's heavy, but there's no current rating listed and I haven't been able to find out anything about it. Is it supposed to supply a reference for calibrating meters or is it used as a power supply? Not being adjustable I wonder if it's made for something specific. Any insight appreciated.
legg <legg@nospam.magma.ca>: Feb 02 10:23AM -0500

On Thu, 1 Feb 2024 11:14:13 -0800 (PST), "ohg...@gmail.com"
 
>I'm going through some stuff I have to move (retiring in June) and trying to decide what to keep. I have a Burr Brown 501 dual supply that puts out +/-15 volts with 115 VAC in. The supply is working but I don't know what's its use was originally. It's a compact block and it's heavy, but there's no current rating listed and I haven't been able to find out anything about it. Is it supposed to supply a reference for calibrating meters or is it used as a power supply? Not being adjustable I wonder if it's made for something specific. Any insight appreciated.
 
 
It's just a supply aimed at permanent installation
in analog circuits.
 
If it's got air holes, (or you can crack the case)
you might see an internal preset pot or two -
one to adjust output (11-16V)
and one for balance -
sometimes a current limit adjustment.
 
It might have some value as an antique.
 
RL
"ohg...@gmail.com" <ohger1s@gmail.com>: Feb 02 08:10AM -0800

On Friday, February 2, 2024 at 10:22:49 AM UTC-5, legg wrote:
> sometimes a current limit adjustment.
 
> It might have some value as an antique.
 
> RL
 
No ventilation of any kind - just small and heavy - which is why I thought it might be used for a micro current reference source. It is pretty tightly regulated even with no load other than the meter as it reads 15.01 (Fluke 177) and doesn't change from 100 to 150 VAC.
 
I guess I can put a one amp load on it and see if it gets hot or fails...
 
Thanks for the reply.
Mike H <mhamill860@gmail.com>: Feb 01 08:45AM -0800

I'll give the IPA and toothbrush trick a shot, follow the recommendations above, and report back....
 
Thanks again
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 4 updates in 2 topics"

Post a Comment