Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 16 updates in 6 topics

jaugustine@verizon.net: Jan 25 11:05AM

Hi,
 
Note: I did electronic service work for many years.
Note: This DVD recorder does NOT use a computer. It has
AV inputs and outputs plus a built in TV type tuner.
 
My Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-ES20, when plugged in (AC)
takes a very long time to initialize (rolling "o"s) before the flashing
"12:00A" appears. Also, when I turn it on, "Hello" is on for a long time
(not as long as "rolling o") before I can use the recorder.
 
I checked every electrolytic capacitor in the power supply, plus some
others (ESR and capacitance test). I replaced a few that were in early
stages of going bad, but that did not fix the problem.
 
Has anyone fixed this problem (same model with same issue)?
 
Thank You in advance, John
root <NoEMail@home.org>: Jan 24 08:41PM

This is going to be hard to believe, but I am in the market for
a new receiver and I want one with HD radio tuner. The people
at Best Buy, and the Magnolia group within Best Buy don't seem
to understand what HD fm tuner is.
 
Knowing that the Denon 3313CI (discontinued) had the HD tuner
capability I went online to Denon and tried to find a current
model that has HD tuner capability: I could find none, so I called
Denon and they gave me a list, really a list of every one of their
current models. I could find no mention of HD tuner on any of
the models.
 
I found a Sony STRDDH770 which, according to Best Buy, does
have an HD tuner. I bought the thing, hooked it up, and there
is no HD tuner, nor is there an HD tuner in the next model
up STRDN1070
 
My question here is can anyone suggest a (reasonably) priced
receiver that has at least 4K pass-through and an fm HD tuner?
 
Thanks.
"pfjw@aol.com" <pfjw@aol.com>: Jan 24 02:04PM -0800

On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 3:41:29 PM UTC-5, root wrote:
> This is going to be hard to believe, but I am in the market for
> a new receiver and I want one with HD radio tuner.
 
https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-HDT-20-Radio-FM-Stereo-Component/dp/B01BY02C5K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485294825&sr=8-1&keywords=hd+radio+tuner
 
https://www.amazon.com/Insignia-NS-HDTUNE-Radio-radio-tuner/dp/B002RJNIVA/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1485294918&sr=8-14&keywords=hd+radio+tuner
 
With respect, get a simple HD tuner and add it as with any other component to your system. This will vastly multiply your options for receivers rather than restrict them to attic stock, leftovers, or 'used' options.
 
Or, go used:
 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-1-Surround-Sound-Receiver-w-HDMI-and-HD-Radio-/122298835481?hash=item1c79942219:g:BMYAAOSw9GhYbXRU
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
root <NoEMail@home.org>: Jan 24 10:53PM

>> This is going to be hard to believe, but I am in the market for
>> a new receiver and I want one with HD radio tuner.
 
> https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-HDT-20-Radio-FM-Stereo-Component/dp/B01BY02C5K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485294825&sr=8-1&keywords=hd+radio+tuner
 
I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear: I want an A/V receiver capable of showing 4K hdmi input. Along
with that I want more than a simple am/fm tuner, I want a tuner that incorporates wht the
Sangean does.
 
> https://www.amazon.com/Insignia-NS-HDTUNE-Radio-radio-tuner/dp/B002RJNIVA/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1485294918&sr=8-14&keywords=hd+radio+tuner
 
 
I have the Insignia which seems to be a reboxed Sangean. In any case the Insignia unit is little more
than junk. When it works it is fine, but it drops the stations after a few minutes, maybe as long
as an hour but usually more frequently. It isn't a case of overheating as some have suggested.
 
 
> With respect, get a simple HD tuner and add it as with any other component to your system. This will vastly multiply your options for receivers rather than restrict them to attic stock, leftovers, or 'used' options.
 
> Or, go used:
 
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-1-Surround-Sound-Receiver-w-HDMI-and-HD-Radio-/122298835481?hash=item1c79942219:g:BMYAAOSw9GhYbXRU
 
 
The Sherwood listed explicitly says hd radio and I am sure it has it. However the receiver is
far too old to support even HDMI 4K pass-through.
 
 
Thanks for your help.
 
Ralph Mowery <rmowery28146@earthlink.net>: Jan 24 06:09PM -0500

In article <o68e5l$fgr$3@news.albasani.net>, NoEMail@home.org says...
 
> My question here is can anyone suggest a (reasonably) priced
> receiver that has at least 4K pass-through and an fm HD tuner?
 
> Thanks.
 
While discontinued, Amazon seems to have the Denon for $ 1099.99
 
https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-3313CI-Networking-Discontinued-
Manufacturer/dp/B00829USKS
root <NoEMail@home.org>: Jan 24 11:19PM


> While discontinued, Amazon seems to have the Denon for $ 1099.99
 
> https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-3313CI-Networking-Discontinued-
> Manufacturer/dp/B00829USKS
 
I am in contact with a seller that offers a lower price.
 
Thanks.
Chuck <chuck@mydeja.net>: Jan 25 08:15AM -0600

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 14:04:04 -0800 (PST), "pfjw@aol.com"
 
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-1-Surround-Sound-Receiver-w-HDMI-and-HD-Radio-/122298835481?hash=item1c79942219:g:BMYAAOSw9GhYbXRU
 
>Peter Wieck
>Melrose Park, PA
The Insignia one is buggy and usually dies within a year or so.
Wouldn't buy one used.
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Andrew Rossmann <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net>: Jan 25 08:45AM -0600

In article <o68e5l$fgr$3@news.albasani.net>, NoEMail@home.org says...
 
> My question here is can anyone suggest a (reasonably) priced
> receiver that has at least 4K pass-through and an fm HD tuner?
 
> Thanks.
 
Not sure if they still offer the option, but I have an Onkyo receiver
(TX-NR609, a few years old) that has a special proprietary port in back.
I think one of the items available was an HD tuner that could plug into
that.
 
--
If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying!
All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the
law!!
http://home.comcast.net/~andyross
"pfjw@aol.com" <pfjw@aol.com>: Jan 25 07:41AM -0800

I still think you should get the ideal receiver from every other aspect, then add an HD tuner to it. This will multiply your options for either item and allow future upgrades to either item.
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
captainvideo462009@gmail.com: Jan 24 10:20PM -0800

> If you ignore this message the machine goes on to eventually boot to a screen that shows a "control panel" with a grid of 4 video monitors showing. The mouse moves but will not select anything to change what is presented. There is no video supplied for this test.
 
> My son loaned me a couple of old XP discs that he had. One lets me get into a screen with choices that you can make but it apparently goes nowhere. The other does not seem to work at all. If this unit originally came supplied with a disk it is nowhere to be found.
 
> This machine was never connected to the Internet so I can't imagine that it could have a virus. Also there was no replacement or additions to any hardware, so that could not be an issue. I was hoping that perhaps some of you computer savvy guys might have some suggestions for me. My friend doesn't have a lot of money and truthfully I really hate to give up on this thing at this stage of the game. I've come so far and now I feel like I may be so close. I apologize for the long winded post but I wanted to present all the information. Thanks for any assistance. Lenny
 
I was able to boot into safe mode and I got to a Dos prompt. The hard drive is partitioned into two sections C: and d:. I did chkdsk on both and no errors were found on either one. On D: I found the "cleaner" file that was originally being asked for on boot and I ran it on D:. It deleted all the old surveillance files that were stuck there for whatever reason and now it goes right to the virtual DVR screen. I still do get that blue screen message on initially booting up but then o subsequent boot attempts it goes away and doesn't come back again unless the machine has been off for awhile. Can't figure that out. It doesn't seem to bother anything though. There is also a "factory default" file too. I don't want to run that unless any other weird problems should happen to show up.
 
There are files on this computer that are 15 years old. This drive looks good now but I fear that it may be on borrowed time. And if it should crash I'll never be able to get a replacement DVR program. So what I would like to do if it's possible is make an exact copy of this drive onto a second one. Truthfully though I'm not that good with computers anymore. I've forgotten a lot of Dos and I think this has to be done under Dos, right? Anyway you mentioned a utility Paul, but I'm sorry to say I don't full understand what you were describing. Could you please elaborate on this a little more? Thanks again for the help. Lenny
jurb6006@gmail.com: Jan 24 11:53PM -0800

In the old days when you bought a new HD you could download a utility to clone the old drive to it. If the current errors are due to intermittent reads this may clear it up. You might try putting the old drive in a freezer before the clone. Hopefully the OS etc. will be among the first copied.
 
Of course there are no guarantees.
 
I will say this much, rebooting stuff like this is overrated. Once you got the thing up and running just never turn it off.
 
The problem I see is finding a new IDE HD. I am not sure if an adapter exists from IDE to SATA, never looked. (mainly because I am too cheap to buy anything)
 
Before the freezer trick though, see if maybe it boots more reliably hot, if so then clone it hot. The freezer thing is something I got off the net and used once and it kinda worked.
jurb6006@gmail.com: Jan 24 11:54PM -0800

After rereading your last post i think you might be better off cloning it while hot.
captainvideo462009@gmail.com: Jan 25 05:58AM -0800

> If you ignore this message the machine goes on to eventually boot to a screen that shows a "control panel" with a grid of 4 video monitors showing. The mouse moves but will not select anything to change what is presented. There is no video supplied for this test.
 
> My son loaned me a couple of old XP discs that he had. One lets me get into a screen with choices that you can make but it apparently goes nowhere. The other does not seem to work at all. If this unit originally came supplied with a disk it is nowhere to be found.
 
> This machine was never connected to the Internet so I can't imagine that it could have a virus. Also there was no replacement or additions to any hardware, so that could not be an issue. I was hoping that perhaps some of you computer savvy guys might have some suggestions for me. My friend doesn't have a lot of money and truthfully I really hate to give up on this thing at this stage of the game. I've come so far and now I feel like I may be so close. I apologize for the long winded post but I wanted to present all the information. Thanks for any assistance. Lenny
 
How hot are you talking? It would sure be a pity to kill it before it's "reborn". Lenny
legg <legg@nospam.magma.ca>: Jan 24 11:45PM -0500


>is a stained glass iron use able for rosin core solder on copper?
 
Stained glass assembly uses lead, so any remenant will be compatible
with 60/40 solder and flux.
 
High wattage irons are useful in soltering heavy gauge mounting tabs
and screw posts, in closing sheild seams and in other types of heavy
copper soldering. Raising the temperature quickly, completing the
soldering and removing the heat source within the thermal time
constant of many power semiconductor packages is impractical with
smaller irons.
 
RL
avagadro7@gmail.com: Jan 24 06:47PM -0800

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMpoppopopBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZ
 
https://www.google.com/search?site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1216&bih=612&q=1994+Bose+Wave+Radio+SCHEMATIC&oq=1994+Bose+Wave+Radio+SCHEMATIC&gs_l=img.12...3594.8779.0.12860.12.2.0.10.0.0.264.264.2-1.1.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..1.0.0.0.Qpu5isZdjyI
 
POPZICK _____________
captainvideo462009@gmail.com: Jan 24 09:18AM -0800

On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 1:43:02 AM UTC-5, Jon Elson wrote:
> without having to keep checking if it stopped.
 
> Any comments?
 
> Jon
 
If you're lucky. Most people aren't though. We were at Best buy shopping for a new refrigerator a few years ago. (Not my idea. My wife couldn't deal with the little bit of rust on the bottom of our 22 year old GE any more). So we donated it to the Boy Scouts and I bit the bullet. Anyway I had done some figuring too. I figured that the damn divorce would have cost me a hell of a lot more than a new refrigerator, so we bought the friggen thing. I mentioned to the sales manager that I was a TV repairman and I commented on the shoddy way things in general were built these days. He took me aside and told me straight out that when buying a major appliance it is now necessary to protect yourself with a service contract. Yes it's a fucking ripoff and I hate paying it every year but we are now on our 4th LG. If I could only get my old GE back.... This is the new norm, and it sucks. And make no mistake, it is the way that dirt bag companies like LG stay in business. Lenny
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

1 Response to Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 16 updates in 6 topics

February 14, 2017 at 1:23 PM

Been using AVG antivirus for a few years now, I'd recommend this Anti virus to all you.

Post a Comment