Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 13 updates in 4 topics

bitrex <bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net>: May 25 09:10AM -0400


> The guy said they are presently going to keep about 70 stores, which is
> about one per state, and they will only be in the very large cities.
 
> This sucks!!!!
 
I bought up all the BNC connectors/automotive switches/guitar effects
box switches from my local store; 6 packs of nickel-plated brass RG-58
and RG-59 crimp-on/twist on connectors with gold contacts, usually
around $18 a pack. IIRC got 20 packs of different types for about $1.50
each.
 
Also bought up all their TO-3 power transistors (2N3055 etc.) for around
30 cents each
Ancel B <protofabtt@gmail.com>: May 25 06:11AM -0700

Oh, well. I still have some RS parts on the blue card in the plastic bubble from 1979. Plus I have all 3 of the Transistor projects DIY books from Forrest Mimms and I built almost all of the projects. As a 14 yr old, with no internet, the projects were the only way to learn.
 
The most fun was the DC to DC converter that could zap people.
 
I also still have the portable Tandy / RS chess computer with 8 levels.I don't think it works, but I suppose I could get in there and fix it.Never opened it to see if the chips were socketed etc. I got up to level 6 which took a looong time to make a move. Several hours sometimes.
bitrex <bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net>: May 25 09:14AM -0400

On 05/25/2017 09:10 AM, bitrex wrote:
> each.
 
> Also bought up all their TO-3 power transistors (2N3055 etc.) for around
> 30 cents each
 
I have more connectors than I really know what to do with now. If anyone
needs some of this nice stuff for cheap let me know I get you good
price...;-)
"pfjw@aol.com" <pfjw@aol.com>: May 25 06:16AM -0700

My single experience with R/S "Lifetime" tubes does deserve mention. For a few years I worked in Saudi Arabia - and lived in Al Khobar, near the causeway to Bahrain. As we had a 'multiple' visa, we would visit Bahrain about every other weekend for unrestricted shopping and for the many interesting sights and sites. One of the locations visited was the Seef Mall, wherein was a Radio Shack.
 
I brought a couple of tube-type TransOceanics, and of all things found a Dynaco FM3 at a used electronics souk near Qatif. So, I had some tube stuff. In any case, a 1U4 in my B600 developed an open filament, and it was a R/S Lifetime tube. So, on a whim, I took to to the Radio Shack at the Seef Mall.
 
The manager looked at it, said "Yes, Sir", and about 3 weeks later, a new 1U4 arrived. No warranty on the replacement, but it was good, and I did not have to pay anything. Service with a smile. This was in 2004.
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
ohger1s@gmail.com: May 25 06:39AM -0700


> The manager looked at it, said "Yes, Sir", and about 3 weeks later, a new 1U4 arrived. No warranty on the replacement, but it was good, and I did not have to pay anything. Service with a smile. This was in 2004.
 
> Peter Wieck
> Melrose Park, PA
 
 
Yep, I've heard similar stories. Some stories including young guns working the counter who didn't even know what a vacuum tube was or why it would have a lifetime warranty. But just as in your case, the tubes were duly ordered and replaced. Some of these were tubes like the pricy 7591s before the Russians started new production of them. I don't know where RS got the replacements but they kept their end of the bargain even if they did spend more to replace the tubes than they used to charge for them back when they were common items.
Michael Black <et472@ncf.ca>: May 25 10:01AM -0400

Michael Black <et472@ncf.ca>: May 25 10:04AM -0400

Michael Black <et472@ncf.ca>: May 25 10:07AM -0400

clare@snyder.on.ca: May 25 11:04AM -0400


>I dont recall the comics, but now that you mentioned it, I do remember
>the gold plated pin tubes. I think R.S. was the only company to make
>gold plated pin tubes.
 
 
Not quite, Electro Harmonix and Amperex also made/(make ?) gold pin
tubes
bitrex <bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net>: May 25 11:36AM -0400

On 05/25/2017 10:04 AM, Michael Black wrote:
> running at 3GHz, and I bet the same program would give results in a
> blink on this (if only the program ran on a Pentium).
 
> Michael
 
Additionally good modern chess programs use lots of different heuristics
to evaluate board positions while avoiding traversing large areas of the
search space.
 
The Tandy just doesn't have enough memory to store all the tables.
Chris Jones <lugnut808@spam.yahoo.com>: May 26 12:46AM +1000

On 25/05/2017 17:35, N_Cook wrote:
>> tip entrance and the guts popped out like a champagne cork.
 
> I'll have to remember that, for the next plastic superglue/welded box I
> come across
 
You open those by tapping them with the plastic handle of a screwdriver,
working along the seam. A long time ago mikeselectricstuff showed how to
do it on his youtube channel. I can't remember which video. The
technique works very well.
Look165 <look165@numericable.fr>: May 25 04:41PM +0200

Curent limitation.
 
Lee a écrit :
Michael Black <et472@ncf.ca>: May 25 09:59AM -0400

You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 13 updates in 4 topics"

Post a Comment