Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 5 updates in 2 topics

tubeguy@myshop.com: Dec 11 01:08AM -0600

I was watching some youtube videos for restuffing electrolytics and wax
paper caps. I see no reason to do the wax paper ones, but I may try a
electrolytic can some day. But nowhere did they show anyone restuffing
the bumble bees. I dont plan to do it, but I'd like to see if its
possible. Those were some of the most colorful caps ever made, and those
would be the ones I'd want to preserve, if I had a lot of time to waste.
tabbypurr@gmail.com: Dec 11 02:25AM -0800

> the bumble bees. I dont plan to do it, but I'd like to see if its
> possible. Those were some of the most colorful caps ever made, and those
> would be the ones I'd want to preserve, if I had a lot of time to waste.
 
Sounds difficult. Repainting some old round plastic film caps might be easier, perhaps adding putty to get the right shape/size.
 
 
NT
John-Del <ohger1s@gmail.com>: Dec 11 04:44AM -0800

> the bumble bees. I dont plan to do it, but I'd like to see if its
> possible. Those were some of the most colorful caps ever made, and those
> would be the ones I'd want to preserve, if I had a lot of time to waste.
 
 
I will usually restuff a can electro just to keep things tidy, but I never understood the need to restuff leaded caps. I restored an Fender amp for a guy who wanted the wax caps restuffed, and he paid for the time. So..
 
I've never restuffed a Bumblebee, but maybe locking it down and boring with a small lathe will give adequate room without destroying the case. Capping it with black epoxy and shaping with a Dremel may give the look you want.
 
What ever floats your boat.
"pfjw@aol.com" <peterwieck33@gmail.com>: Dec 10 10:49AM -0800

OK - I am in an unique position here: I actually have worked with true 2-phase power, developed in the 1920s before 3-phase was well-established, as a means to provide off-set to start motors. Also pretty much confined to Philadelphia and Baltimore, being the two major cities in what became the PMJ Interconnect.
 
From PECO Tariffs:
 
Two-phase power is where the two phases are 90° apart.
 
This is a four (4) wire system, and the neutral currents do not cancel even if the system is in balance. Hence the need for four (4) wires.
 
I am surprised that so many went after the remark of audio and pacemakers. But here goes:
 
Pacemakers will accept all sorts of RF and other interference today - a vast improvement from the days when merely walking past a vintage microwave (in operation) would cause troubles.
 
But the modern pacemaker/defibrillators do not like stray currents in the body, as they may be taken as an event. If there is as much as a few volts difference between the NEUTRAL and the GROUND, and an individual so-equipped steps into that difference, that could be enough to trip the defib-function. Not (usually)fatal, but quite painful. Just ask the guy up on the 10th floor designing temporary artificial hearts - between restoring vintage Porsches. He will talk the paint off a board if given a chance - and I am sufficiently intrigued by what he does to give him those chances.
 
And, of course, there are hum-loops caused by stray currents.
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Ralph Mowery <rmowery28146@earthlink.net>: Dec 10 04:30PM -0500

In article <2b63acc6-9213-497b-9eba-dfd2a61663e8@googlegroups.com>,
tabbypurr@gmail.com says...
> > running at 208 volts with a 120 instead of 180 phase shift across
> > the windings.
 
> Naturally some people don't understand some things, nothing new there.
 
Some do not understand that by definition and the way it is generated, 2
phase power is 90 deg out of phase, not 180.
 
There for in the US the common feed of 240 and 120 volts can not be 2
phase.
 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-phase_electric_power
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 5 updates in 2 topics"

Post a Comment