Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 10 updates in 5 topics

amdx <nojunk@knology.net>: Feb 27 10:34AM -0600

On 1/27/2020 11:20 AM, amdx wrote:
> I you don't want to hear about Latent heat of vaporization and
> boiling water skip to 4:40.
 
>                               Mikek
 
Disappointed no one had any interest in this.
If you have no interest in this, you should see the one about the color
brown :-)
 
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh4aWZRtTwU
 
OK, I did find it interesting.
 
 
Mikek
Ken Layton <KLayton888@aol.com>: Feb 27 08:30AM -0800

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 12:52:57 PM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
> Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
> Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
 
To follow up on this problem, I sent John copies of the schematics from the BC855XLT service manual I have. Hopefully, he will be able to fix his problem with the channel memory. As a side note, my late mom had this same model scanner and it exhibited the same problems as John is having. So it would appear this problem was happening to other BC855XLT scanners too.
"pfjw@aol.com" <peterwieck33@gmail.com>: Feb 27 07:29AM -0800

> A sub panel should not have the neutral and earth ground bonded. They
> need to be separate.
 
Yes. There is nothing "neutral" about a neutral. And why it is that if there are only three wires from the House (Main) panel to the sub panel, an additional SEPARATE ground must be provided in the Pump House, as that third wire is now, de-facto, the neutral.
 
As it happens, there is no reason not to have multiple GROUNDS within a system, as long as there is one, and only one Neutral. I remember back in the day the master-electrician I worked for was a fanatic about balancing loads as closely as practical, even in a residential application. If loads are exactly balanced, then from the Panel to the Pole, the neutral will carry no current at all. But within the residence, pretty much every neutral will carry load. Easily demonstrated with an ammeter.
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
bruce2bowser@gmail.com: Feb 27 07:46AM -0800

On Wednesday, February 26, 2020 at 10:20:06 PM UTC-5, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
> > need to be separate.
 
> Absolutely. The ONLY place the Neutral should be connected to ground
> is a the service panel (the one with the Meter).
 
Why not just to the one where the branch circuits all connect (if different from where the meter is)?
etpm@whidbey.com: Feb 27 08:10AM -0800

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 20:26:11 -0500, Tom Biasi <tombiasi@optonline.net>
wrote:
 
 
>> Good luck with it!
 
>A sub panel should not have the neutral and earth ground bonded. They
>need to be separate.
I knew that. Ground and neutral only bonded in the main panel. When I
wired my shop I brought all the grounds from the CNC and manual
machines back to the main panel to avoid ground loops. The control
makers stressed that ground loops are to be avoided.
Eric
"Tom Del Rosso" <fizzbintuesday@that-google-mail-domain.com>: Feb 27 03:48AM -0500

> installation and/or add additional load than just the refrigerator.
 
> It is unlikely the landlord will get dinged 'if the building burns' -
> as the lawyers will go through the first-cause (you) first.
 
No idea what you're talking about since I never said it was modified by
me. How did I "cause" a problem by plugging a toaster oven into the
other outlet?
"Tom Del Rosso" <fizzbintuesday@that-google-mail-domain.com>: Feb 27 03:52AM -0500

amdx wrote:
 
>> Yeah, thanks, but I realize that. It's the landlord's fault if the
>> building burns. I have my own insurance. His might be cancelled.
 
> Hope you're not sleeping if a fire starts!
 
I hardly ever use a toaster oven while I'm sleeping. It's the only 9 amp
load I have.
"pfjw@aol.com" <peterwieck33@gmail.com>: Feb 27 04:28AM -0800

> No idea what you're talking about since I never said it was modified by
> me. How did I "cause" a problem by plugging a toaster oven into the
> other outlet?
 
 
By adding a second load to what should be a dedicated circuit.
 
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
All Bumbed Up <allbummedup@cao.net>: Feb 27 01:49AM -0500

On 2/26/20 8:25 PM, All Bumbed Up wrote:
> doesn't show up anywhere in data as well as what looks like a small
> torodial transformer would with input and output turns.  How can I go
> about adding these unknowns?
 
This evening, I identified values for almost all of the components in
preparation for placement tomorrow.
 
I solved the issue of scaling differences between the board and the
components. I just had to reverse the length and width specs.
 
There are still two components I have been unable to locate, what I
believe is a line filter (a bifilar toroid with bifilar input and
output) and a 9 pin flyback. Nothing comes up in cross reference online
nor on the database Target 3001 offers, so would welcome any suggestions
as to what to do here.
 
Otherwise, I think I'm ready to proceed.
Jeff Urban <jurb6006@gmail.com>: Feb 26 10:54PM -0800

>Not all components on the circuit
>board can be readily identified
 
That can be a problem. You probably have to do it manually but then figure out how to work it into the drawing in the software.
 
Another thing is two sided boards have been around for a longtime, I have no idea how you put that together but you can bet you have to depopulate the board to get a picture of it.
 
It might be a good idea to try it on a board that you know, well the schematic of. You can get used to what kind of errors and other shit you can run into.
 
If you got more than a two sided board, like four layers which are in many things now, such a program will not do much good. The outer foil patterns could be nothing but a power plane and a ground plane. The real works is hidden underneath.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to sci.electronics.repair+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No Response to "Digest for sci.electronics.repair@googlegroups.com - 10 updates in 5 topics"

Post a Comment